TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Thank you for doing all this legwork with MSS. Your efforts are very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Once i get my MSS shock, anyone interested in an almost new OEM shock (300 miles on it, 2015 bike) with a new 15lb ProCycle spring (50 miles on it)???

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I mean it's no Elka, but for $260 and a few washers as spacers... it's a pretty sweet/affordable upgrade.

Not to mention it's much easier to install/remove than stock.
I had to check out what you were talking about on Elka. Man, those things are expensive. The MSS looks like a real bargain compared to that and I'm a real cheepskate.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Any word on these yet? I emailed them requesting one when you posted this thread but haven't heard anything back yet.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I got a new one a little over a week ago. Tested it out and it needs a bit more nitrogen. A little too soft. Will go back to his shop in a couple of weeks. He is trying to catch up with back orders.
I like the feel of the shock. It is close. Just a bit more adjusting.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Ok thanks. Maybe one of these shocks that aren't quite stiff enough for the heftier riders would work for me at 175 lbs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I mean it's no Elka, but for $260 and a few washers as spacers... it's a pretty sweet/affordable upgrade.

Not to mention it's much easier to install/remove than stock.
This seems like a great deal, considering not only the cost of a heavy spring upgrade, but also the tools I'd need to buy to safely install it.. A little concerning that I'm seeing reports of it still not quite dialed in pressure wise. Otherwise I'm in!

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
This seems like a great deal, considering not only the cost of a heavy spring upgrade, but also the tools I'd need to buy to safely install it.. A little concerning that I'm seeing reports of it still not quite dialed in pressure wise. Otherwise I'm in!
The pressure is based on rider weight, I was hoping oldworld would report back after a recent ride and see how it feels.

So the shock is filled (usually 200psi) and you get a lossless nitro regulator and adjust a couple PSI at a time until you reach the compression softness you desire.

The MSS shock based on 1.5 in longer version is ready to go. Another forum member just had one designed off of the TW oem shock, so you could have a stock version (same seat height) or the 1" higher seat height version.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
I had my MSS shock made to stock length. Have not had time to go back and have a bit more nitrogen added. Also, MSS has been trying to catch up with all of theie back orders. Will give an update when I am able to get the shock and bike over to their shop.
BTW, I like the shock. Was a little too soft yet getting close and we have been taking notes.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Any updates on the stock length Marvin Shaw shock, oldworld? I plan on ordering one this week but thought I would check this thread for any news first.

Reactions: MaddMaverick

·
Registered
614 Posts
Any updates on the stock length Marvin Shaw shock, oldworld? I plan on ordering one this week but thought I would check this thread for any news first.
Sorry Guys. I have been busy and also giving Marvin Shaw Shocks a bit of time to try to catch up with their large back orders. I'll try to talk with him tomorrow. I need to take the bike back to his shop and do some final adjustments on the nitrogen level. It was a bit too soft when we filled it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
No worries, brother! Post-treeline trails are opening up fast so I'm about to make my move on one.

Reactions: oldworld 124

·
Registered
614 Posts
OK, I just got back from Marvin Shaw Shocks. We originally put 260 psi of nitrogen in the shock. Was too soft of a ride. Now have 360 psi and it feels much better. Still kind of cadillacky softness initially, but has a good ride feel and stiffens up progressively. Will try to take the bike out for a spin in the next few days. It is too hot down low to do any long rides. I do like this shock and believe it will be a winner. Also, this particular shock was made oem length so it fits perfectly and the ride height stayed within 1/4" of original seat height.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Also, this particular shock was made oem length so it fits perfectly and the ride height stayed within 1/4" of original seat height.
That is exactly what I needed to hear! Excellent!

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
I just had a realization that might explain things for interested parties...

...there is definitely going to be a difference between the MSS oem clone and the MSS banshee shock clone.

The measurements and stroke length on the banshee clone version, is going to shorten the stroke a small ammount (the extra .5 in shock length), which is why 200psi is almost too stiff for my ride, what this does though is provide that stiffer, tighter steering and more agile setup for better steering and handling response on and off road.

What im curious to know (which would explain some of the softness and cushiness oldworld was eluding to) was the new shock built off of the total stroke length including or not including the bump stop? If it was built with the full length of the stock shock, no bump stop accounted for, that would actually make it a longer measurable stroke than the banshee shock, since I took measurements and stop points including the bump stop on the banshee shock.

This explains (hypothetically) why I was able to achieve the stiffer, more agile/responsive ride at a lower psi for my weight, and why the OEM clone from MSS can provide a softer/cushier ride with a little bit more travel, but requires agood bit more nitrogen. If the stroke measurements are different in how I'm thinking, that should put some concerns to rest.

It would be interesting to see how much nitrogen in the OEM clone shock it would take to get it to the same semi-rigid setting that I have on my shock.

Also, the shorter stroke on the banshee MSS clone still provides damping, is tons better than the oem, it just provides a sportier feel, where the OEM clone is going to give you a much cushier ride and just needs a bit more nitrogen to accommodate for rider weight.

Just some more info for folks who were interested :)

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Fun weekend getaway idea, you two get together for a weekend and swap bikes and compare notes. 😁

61 - 80 of 89 Posts