TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
The mss shock was designed using an original 2006 TW200 rear shock and spring for the dimensions and spring strength. The Tdub shock has a bump stop. That was included 8n the design. It has proper fluid added for it to bottom out from 1 1/2" to 2" from the frame. Don't know what the overall travel is. Will take some measurements.

·
Registered
614 Posts
So, I went down to the hot garage and took the 2006 bike with an oem rear shock and compared the compression/springiness when just sitting on the bike and then compressing it while sitting. The difference is liek I said. It has more initial compression/springiness from not sitting to fully seated. Then it starts to stiffen and the compression feels better wit the MSS shock than the oem shock. Hard to explain. It seems it will not be so jarring when sitting and riding, but will perform very well either way sitting or standing on the pegs. BTW, the seat height is at about 32" level no weight. Lowers about 1 1/2" when sitting on it full weight. Will lower a bit more with the trail bag with about 15lbs on the back rack.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I took the bike out this morning and ran it on some dirt roads to test the new MSS shock set at 360 psi of nitrogen. The shock is the same length as an oem Yamaha shock. I already broke in the shock a while back, so just needed to adjust the amount of nitrogen. It has no rebound static test and just a bit of rebound 25 lbs on the rear rack. Can now easily go 40 to 50 mph on dirt and gravel roads with small potholes. Am very pleased with the performance so far. Taking it out on some real trails will get a better picture of it's true potential.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Update on the Marvin Shaw Shock.

Finally had time to work on the MSS shock project. 360 lbs of nitrogen ended up being still too soft. We bumped it up to 450 lbs and also moved the fill nipple to the side of the shock. It was on the upper beveled part, but the rear fuel tank mount interfered with attaching the shrader valve. Much better now. Make sure spacers are used both on the upper and lower mounting ends. Very important to keep the shock in the proper position without much side play. This goes for any shock in general. Talking with Tim at MSS, he said it is also possible to install a heavier spring if needed and they can all be adjusted for preload.
Motor vehicle Bag Headgear Personal protective equipment Gas
Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle brake Rim Gas
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive wheel system

Was able to really put the shock through the paces on our Silver City ride last Friday. Just under 100 miles of serious off road testing. It performed flawlessly. Seems to be perfect for my weight with riding gear and the travel gear on the back of the bike. I'm very happy with the Marvin Shaw Shock conversion and believe it was the correct path to follow.

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
450 Posts
Update on the Marvin Shaw Shock.

Finally had time to work on the MSS shock project. 360 lbs of nitrogen ended up being still too soft. We bumped it up to 450 lbs and also moved the fill nipple to the side of the shock. It was on the upper beveled part, but the rear fuel tank mount interfered with attaching the shrader valve. Much better now. Make sure spacers are used both on the upper and lower mounting ends. Very important to keep the shock in the proper position without much side play. This goes for any shock in general. Talking with Tim at MSS, he said it is also possible to install a heavier spring if needed and they can all be adjusted for preload. View attachment 217364 View attachment 217365 View attachment 217366
Was able to really put the shock through the paces on our Silver City ride last Friday. Just under 100 miles of serious off road testing. It performed flawlessly. Seems to be perfect for my weight with riding gear and the travel gear on the back of the bike. I'm very happy with the Marvin Shaw Shock conversion and believe it was the correct path to follow.
Thanks for the input. Sorry to ask, but what's your weight... "#'s-ish." Will help with the data, for everyone to get a better sense of psi to weight ranges for the MSS. TIA.

Reactions: reddave

·
Registered
614 Posts
I weigh 170 lbs. Keep in mind the bike has an atv conversion & 4.1 Clarke tank. It is now set at about 30% sag with boots and gear on. Maybe 35% sag with another 18 lbs of weight on the rear rack. It never bottomed out on the 100 mile dirt ride last Friday.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Keep Tim Becky and the entire Marvin Shaw Shocks crew in your thoughts and prayers. Tim is not feeling well and spending a little time in the hospital. We expect a full recovery just scary with the times we are in. Its covid related

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Keep Tim Becky and the entire Marvin Shaw Shocks crew in your thoughts and prayers. Tim is not feeling well and spending a little time in the hospital. We expect a full recovery just scary with the times we are in. Its covid related
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Hope Tim has a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Update on Tim at Marvin Shaw Shocks.

Just got off the phone with Tim. He is now home after 2 weeks in the hospital and will continuing recovering there. He's feeling better but is still weak. Had quite a serious case.

He wants to give a big thanks to all on this forum for our support.

Will give more updates as they come up.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts