7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is. Wish I was in the market.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Found this matched set on C/L this morn. May interest someone:

(2) 2010 Yamaha TW 200's and (1) HH built aluminum trailer
This was a killer deal I bought back in October but the gent didn't delete the posting until lately

He actually talked himself down a grand w/o me even asking him to do so

I ran over to Bakersfield from Vegas to hand him the cash and he was nice enough to store the setup in his (awesome) shop for about a week

He also "threw in" a new motorcycle hydraulic lift jack, 3 helmets, a nice wheel chock that came on the trailer I sold right away for $100, several sets of new heavy duty ratchet straps, trailer locks, the custom rear rack I posted pics of in "luggage rack choices" , two other smaller rear racks, a spare tire and mount and more stuff I just can't remember

I've already made 2 trips from Socal / AZ to Seattle with the trailer

View attachment 1812

·
Registered
89 Posts
This was a killer deal I bought back in October but the gent didn't delete the posting until lately

He actually talked himself down a grand w/o me even asking him to do so

I ran over to Bakersfield from Vegas to hand him the cash and he was nice enough to store the setup in his (awesome) shop for about a week

He also "threw in" a new motorcycle hydraulic lift jack, 3 helmets, a nice wheel chock that came on the trailer I sold right away for $100, several sets of new heavy duty ratchet straps, trailer locks, the custom rear rack I posted pics of in "luggage rack choices" , two other smaller rear racks, a spare tire and mount and more stuff I just can't remember

I've already made 2 trips from Socal / AZ to Seattle with the trailer

View attachment 1812

So that makes some sense of what I have been seeing in the PNW TW200 Craiglist offerings. You and probably others snap up the really low priced offerings quickly then resell them. No problem with that of course but it does explain inflated prices for what really is a super simple and initially inexpensive motorcycle. There are a lot of them around that sit in garages unused until the owner finally decides they are never really going to use it and just wants it out of his garage - like your seller. They get resold then sit in another owners garage for a while then before being sold as a 20 year old bike with less than a thousand miles on the odo, gunked up carb and dry rot tires.

If I recall from what may have been your resale add that the bikes were used by his daughters to ride but they went off to college and the bikes went unused.

·
Registered
89 Posts
^^^^^ Regarding above, I have no problem with anyone "flipping" any merchandise. And when I eventually do buy one I expect it to use it only several times a year, at best, and sell it several years down the road without too many more miles than I bought it with. But as part of a free market if buyers avoided those that are being flipped it would bring down prices for the people who actually want to own one rather than buy/sell with only a financial interest. California bikes can be especially good deals for out of state buyers because if registration isn't paid every year, even if the bike sits unused, then anyone trying to register/license in the future has to pay back registration fees that can add up to hundreds of dollars (if I understand correctly) - I think this is permanently attached to the motorcycle if at any point it is to be registered/licensed in CA.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In that case I may know those bikes. Were they a father/daughter set?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Anyone familiar with a practice called "curbstoning". It apparently is illegal, I assume for motorcycles as well as cars.

Local News | Old scam called curbstoning gets new life on the Web | Seattle Times Newspaper

besides driving up the price of used vehicles it also robs taxpayers who have to make up for illegally untaxed income either indirectly through reduced government services or directly through higher taxes to maintain services.

Avoid curbstoners, pay less, get more.

http://www.stopcurbstoning.com/

·
Registered
976 Posts
Anyone familiar with a practice called "curbstoning". It apparently is illegal, I assume for motorcycles as well as cars.

Local News | Old scam called curbstoning gets new life on the Web | Seattle Times Newspaper

besides driving up the price of used vehicles it also robs taxpayers who have to make up for illegally untaxed income either indirectly through reduced government services or directly through higher taxes to maintain services.

Avoid curbstoners, pay less, get more.

Curbstoning: The repeated, unlicensed flipping of used cars
I'm gonna assume that you don't know PlacerLode and haven't done business with him if you're insinuating that he's anything less than an upstanding individual.

As someone who has done business with PlacerLode, I can tell you that he's a straight-up guy.

Don't get upset just because other people are willing to put in the time and effort to track down the real deals and benefit from them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm gonna assume that you don't know PlacerLode and haven't done business with him if you're insinuating that he's anything less than an upstanding individual.

As someone who has done business with PlacerLode, I can tell you that he's a straight-up guy.

Don't get upset just because other people are willing to put in the time and effort to track down the real deals and benefit from them.
I'm definitely not upset, and I have no knowledge of any illegal or unethical activity of any specific person. I am interested as a law abiding and tax paying citizen that others obey the law and pay taxes, as should we all. I had forgotten about curbstoning as an illegal activity but plan to check into it more, maybe with the attorney general office - as a citizen, not anything specific to any minor infatuation with a little motorcycle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts