1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
There are a lot of hazards out there. I have a new saying "if you cant afford good protective riding gear... Don't Ride". I broke my ankle and Mike is busted up and will be out of work for 6 months after hitting a deer few weeks ago.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
There are a lot of hazards out there. I have a new saying "if you cant afford good protective riding gear... Don't Ride". I broke my ankle and Mike is busted up and will be out of work for 6 months after hitting a deer few weeks ago.
How in the heck did I miss you breaking your ankle? Did this happen recently? Which Mike hit a deer? Damn I have to quit following politics so closely and get back to what really matters. I hope you are getting along and feeling better soon.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
How in the heck did I miss you breaking your ankle? Did this happen recently? Which Mike hit a deer? Damn I have to quit following politics so closely and get back to what really matters. I hope you are getting along and feeling better soon.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I'm sorry Tom I broke my leg in 2014. Mike my son is in bad shape.

[video]http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/12810-i-rode-all-day-broken-leg.html[/video]

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
I'm sorry Tom I broke my leg in 2014. Mike my son is in bad shape.

[video]http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/12810-i-rode-all-day-broken-leg.html[/video]
I remember that but when you said ankle it sounded like it was recently. I hope your son is healing up. How fast was he going when he hit the deer? Deer and other large animals are the reason I do not ride "on the road" after dark.

Tom

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I remember that but when you said ankle it sounded like it was recently. I hope your son is healing up. How fast was he going when he hit the deer? Deer and other large animals are the reason I do not ride "on the road" after dark.

Tom
He said around 35 mph he came over a hill and the deer was standing in the road. He slid, swerved to the front of the deer, let off then the deer took off in front of him. He hit the deer on the rump twisting the wheel sharply and slamming him to the ground. It also cracked his helmet. Adrenaline got him up, he rode his bike back home got in his car and started to work. It was then he realized he was badly injured.
Mike said the whole accident took about 3 seconds from the time he topped the hill, until he was on the ground. We concluded that if you have time swerve to the rear of animals if possible.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I believe it's best not to swerve at all. Get on the brakes and horn ASAP or faster. Deer could have just as easily (and quickly) about faced and you would still run into it. They always seem to burst one way or the other and just going straight minimizes putting it down due to extreme maneuvers. Don't add danger to an already hazardous situation by adding extreme maneuvers.

JMMHO.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
My best wishes & prayers to your son for a full & speedy recovery!

Cal Trans Sheep (Deer) are a big road hazard out here as well. They do one of five things: Run right, run left, run towards you, run away from you, or just stand there! Most of the time the outcome is simply luck... m.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts