TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of months ago I learned about concrete arrows used by early airmail pilots, and traveled by TW to a few of them in my local area (See previous post for more info). I also learned that one of the early airmail pilots who pioneered the route from LA to SLC died near here, and a monument was erected to honor him on nearby Kolob Mountain. Last month I attempted to get up on the mountain and find the monument without success because there was still a lot of snow. Last weekend I had a little spare time so decided I would try again. No need to review the ride up the mountain as I covered that pretty well in my last ride report. So, I'll start where I left off.

This is what Kolob Reservoir looked like last month.

Last weekend. You can also see the difference between pictures with my wide angle lens, and without.

The scrub oak and quaking aspen are sleeping in.

Here's what the road looked like last month.

This month.

I had obtained lat/long coordinates for the monument from the internet and plotted a track for my GPS. Arrival at the monument was kind of anti-climactic. It wasn't hard to find at all.

Text of the monument can be found here if you're interested.

Views from the monument.

I finally remembered to do something with the microphone, but unfortunately it wasn't very effective. So, you'll need to turn the sound down a bit. Sorry, I'll keep trying.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I had also hoped to check out what I believe to be the remains of another concrete arrow not far from Mr. Graham's monument. Unfortunately, much of Kolob Mountain is private property, and the road I needed to follow to check out the arrow was gated. If you go to Google Earth and plug in these coordinates: 37 degrees, 30 '35.98" N 113 degrees, 01' 35.60" W you'll see what I'm talking about (sorry, couldn't come up with a degree symbol). It doesn't look like much, but I imagine with freeze/thaw cycles over the last 80 years the concrete wouldn't be in too good of shape by now. I plotted a line from the arrow straight in the direction it's pointing and the line goes straight to the Parowan airport. Anyway, I guess I'll never know for sure.

Since I dislike going back the way I came I had hoped to drop off the mountain to the west into Kanarra. As I headed down the mountain I began to cross small snow drifts. Eventually they became impassible, and I decided I better turn around before I got myself into trouble.

After getting back to the intersection, I turned north to drop into the canyon east of Cedar City. These bushes are still sporting their fall colors.

After a few miles of smooth sailing I popped out above Cedar City. Nice views from up there, though it was kind of hazy.

I continued down the mountain into Cedar Canyon, east of Cedar City.

Last October there was a major landslide in Cedar Canyon. Pictures here if you're interested. I heard they had made enough progress to start letting weekend traffic pass through. I hoped to ride up and check it out, but no such luck.

To be continued

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
I like the before and now photo's. I love the history you throw in, and your quest to find more navigational arrows. I tried to see if there where any up in these parts and can't find they existed up here. So probably not, but plenty of other things to find I'm sure. Oh, and temporary road closed signs, they are an open invitation for a re-visit for me too. Snow in the high country here too, but heck, its only early May so what do I expect!

Good stuff as always, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Closed road sign means sneak around them and see how far you can go....lol

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
After running into the Road Closed signs I turned around and headed back down the canyon to Cedar City. I then turned south and headed for home, hoping to see a few sights on the way. South of Cedar City, at the base of Kanarra Mountain are the remains of an old aerial tram that was used to haul coal down the mountain. Since it was on the way I decided I would swing by and take a look at it.

The wildflowers were in bloom.

After checking out the tram I headed south through Kanarraville. Just north of Kanarraville is the south rim of the Great Basin. This sign has seen better days.

Here's what it says:

The low ridge at the south end of this valley forms the south rim of the Great Basin, which in prehistoric times was the bed of a vast body of water now referred to as Lake Bonneville. It was so named in honor of Capatain Benjamin E. Bonneville, who in 1833 directed the first scientific exploration of it's largest remnant - Great Salt Lake.

Lake Bonneville extended 350 miles to the north and was in places 145 miles wide with a maximum depth of 1050 feet. It's shoreline is clearly discernible on the mountain slopes fringing the basin. Through the Red Rock Pass in what is now southern Idaho, the lake drained to the Pacific Ocean, it's water flowing down the Portneuf, Snake, and Columbia rivers.

Of this large body of water, the Great Salt Lake, Utah, Sevier, and other small water bodies lying in the lowest part of the lakebed and having no outlet, Great Salt Lake became the "Dead Sea" of the western hemisphere.

Hoping to stay off the Interstate I headed west to New Harmony. Google Earth showed some roads from New Harmony to my next destination, Peter's Leap. In New Harmony I found another bit of history.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It turned out the roads I planned to use to get to Peter's Leap were inaccessible, so I turned and headed back to I-15. The view of Kolob Canyons is one of the reasons real estate is so expensive around here.

I had to ride down the interstate for a couple of miles before I could turn off onto back roads. After going a short distance on the road to Peter's Leap I recognized I was on the wrong road. Since it was late, and the road was very rocky and rough I decided to head for home, and leave Peter's Leap for another trip. On the way home I rode through an area where they run rodeo stock.

I didn't see any rodeo stock, but did see some rabbits and quail.

I'll post some video when I get time to finish editing it.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the before and now photo's. I love the history you throw in, and your quest to find more navigational arrows. I tried to see if there where any up in these parts and can't find they existed up here. So probably not, but plenty of other things to find I'm sure. Oh, and temporary road closed signs, they are an open invitation for a re-visit for me too. Snow in the high country here too, but heck, its only early May so what do I expect!

Good stuff as always, thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Admiral. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've enjoyed your reports of lookout towers, and also the ones about railroad stuff. I've scoped out an old abandoned railbed up by Milford that I would like to ride this summer.

Closed road sign means sneak around them and see how far you can go....lol

Yeah, I was tempted to give it a shot!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Keep 'em coming B-Dub, great RR's!

Bag

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, it's nice to know it's appreciated. I still have some video for this report, I'll see if I can get it posted soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts