TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I still have @ 4 gallons in the garage left from Moab. I wish we had some near by.

·
Super Moderator
18,054 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Here in NY it is available from mostly just two common stations, Stewart's Shops and Velaro. Thumbs up to both of these vendors and even though I don't use non E in our daily vehicles I sure as hell appreciate it for all of my small engines that are mostly on Stand By in my shed and barn. My home generator gets used just a few times every year but fires right up ever since I started using the 91 Non E but it gave me fits before the non E became available. About the last thing you want during a power outage is a generator that needs the carb cleaned before it will run.

On my To Do list is an experiment. My 2016 Toyota 4 runner and the 2015 Lexus RX350 both have trip computers that constantly read out the average MPGs the vehicles are getting, both are very accurate as I have checked them against the odometer and gallons used between fill ups. The 4 runner continually gets 17.5 MPGs on the E 10 fuel I feed it and the RX350 gets 25 MPG. I plan to fill up both vehicles for the next 2 full tanks with the Non E 91 octane and re set the computer just to see if the mileage is any better with real gas. Just for Ha Has if my 4 runner goes up to around 18.5 I can then do the math and decide if the higher price per gallon is worth using. We buy all of our daily fuel at the local Stewart's shop any way so it will be an easy test. I do not expect it to be worth the extra cost but what we must take into account is the ethanol fuel seems to do fine as long as it is not put in tanks that sit idle for long periods. E-10 fuels seems to be fine in more modern fuel injected engines that have computers that adjust to the type and octane of the fuel we feed them. Not so good in engines with carburetors and absolutely horrible if the fuel sits for long periods where it can and does go into Phase Separation in the tanks.

GaryL

Reactions: Ken and littletommy

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much per gallon? And do I see that it is regular grade too?
It just jumped to $4.20 for premium non-E in Oregon!!
It is 88 octane
$2.83/gal, same as the 91.
.30 more than the 87.

·
Registered
20,385 Posts
Nice tip Sponge. Unfortunately my local Macerick stations in Reno still ooze ethanol. However LT’s link showed where I can get pure dinosaur sauce in Carson City for my travels south. Thanks Folks!

·
Super Moderator
18,054 Posts
I do get better mileage in the car and bikes when I use Non E.
Here in NY it is available from mostly just two common stations, Stewart's Shops and Velaro. Thumbs up to both of these vendors and even though I don't use non E in our daily vehicles I sure as hell appreciate it for all of my small engines that are mostly on Stand By in my shed and barn. My home generator gets used just a few times every year but fires right up ever since I started using the 91 Non E but it gave me fits before the non E became available. About the last thing you want during a power outage is a generator that needs the carb cleaned before it will run.

On my To Do list is an experiment. My 2016 Toyota 4 runner and the 2015 Lexus RX350 both have trip computers that constantly read out the average MPGs the vehicles are getting, both are very accurate as I have checked them against the odometer and gallons used between fill ups. The 4 runner continually gets 17.5 MPGs on the E 10 fuel I feed it and the RX350 gets 25 MPG. I plan to fill up both vehicles for the next 2 full tanks with the Non E 91 octane and re set the computer just to see if the mileage is any better with real gas. Just for Ha Has if my 4 runner goes up to around 18.5 I can then do the math and decide if the higher price per gallon is worth using. We buy all of our daily fuel at the local Stewart's shop any way so it will be an easy test. I do not expect it to be worth the extra cost but what we must take into account is the ethanol fuel seems to do fine as long as it is not put in tanks that sit idle for long periods. E-10 fuels seems to be fine in more modern fuel injected engines that have computers that adjust to the type and octane of the fuel we feed them. Not so good in engines with carburetors and absolutely horrible if the fuel sits for long periods where it can and does go into Phase Separation in the tanks.

GaryL

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Murphy Station in front of Walmart in Palestine Tx was recently rebuilt. It opened last week and is now selling Ethanol Free on a separate nozzle. 89 octane at 2.559 per gallon
If all the Walmarts/Murphy's started selling ethanol free, that would be real progress.

James

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Nice tip Sponge. Unfortunately my local Macerick stations in Reno still ooze ethanol. However LT’s link showed where I can get pure dinosaur sauce in Carson City for my travels south. Thanks Folks!
The last time I went through Carson City that station did not have Non E, but that was three years ago, maybe it is back. I often make a long distance call just before my trips because I hate Ethanol so, but even more I hate driving 20 miles out of my way to get Non E only to find that they haven't sold it for 5 years. The Pure Gas site is notoriously out of date for many stations.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Well, for those of us stuck with Ethanol, it is one more reason to ride frequently!

·
Super Moderator
18,054 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
I saw a video on YouTube the other day, where somebody demonstrated how to get the ethanol out of e10 fuel.
If you need pure gas for small engines it looks easy to do.

·
Registered
119 Posts
In the course of Commuting to work (30-40 mph, approx half gravel/dirt and half paved road), Festus Gets approx 95 mpg when burning ethanol free premium. Usually just under 90 mpg when burning mid grade E-gas. NonE premium is approx 6% heavier per gallon (than E-gas) so that may account for the difference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts