TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi evryone, i´m new here, so forgive me if i use the wrong thread...

Since some weeks i own a 1997 TW200. The former owner told me that the CDI was "open", what ever that means. I suggested that it had no speed limitations, but, the max. speed still is about 106 km/h. I wonder, because this is the max. speed on official sites. So, what can i do do speed it up to about 125km/h or so ? Is it f.i. possible to use a different CDI from a Yamaha 250 ? Or just crack the CDI ? However, how does the CDI work ? What controlls what, and, is the speedometer involved or not ?

Thankx,

Robin

·
Registered
918 Posts
There is no speed limiter, but there is a rev (rpm) limiter.

106kmh (65mph) is about "average". On a stock TW, 125kmh (77mph) is not going to happen, sorry.

I don't know about the CDI's. The TW manual shows the timing curve with respect to rpm.

Give Sebastian a phone call (Macbig2k1). Here is his website... http://www.tw-parts.com/

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Straight from the owners manual:

Shift up points:

1st → 2nd: 15 km/h (9.3 mi/h)

2nd → 3rd: 20 km/h (12.5 mi/h)

3rd → 4th: 30 km/h (18.6 mi/h)

4th → 5th: 40 km/h (24.9 mi/h)

With stock gearing the bike goes into top gear at 40 km/h... and people still expect it to exceed triple that at WOT?

Unbelievable.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Straight from the owners manual:

Shift up points:

1st → 2nd: 15 km/h (9.3 mi/h)

2nd → 3rd: 20 km/h (12.5 mi/h)

3rd → 4th: 30 km/h (18.6 mi/h)

4th → 5th: 40 km/h (24.9 mi/h)

With stock gearing the bike goes into top gear at 40 km/h... and people still expect it to exceed triple that at WOT?

Unbelievable.

Ummm...yep. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFRvUmPHrxc&feature=related

Okay, fair enough mine isn't stock. But 65mph on a stock bike is not unheard of.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've hit a GPS indicated 64 mph on a stock 2010 TW, with Happy Trails panniers on and loaded with tools and gear. I wasn't down on the tank, no fairing or windshield. Last weigh-in I was 229 lbs.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Ummm...yep. http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Okay, fair enough mine isn't stock. But 65mph on a stock bike is not unheard of.

Yeah... 65 is still only 2.6 times the shift point, and I regularly do 70 (112 K/PH) with only sprocket & carb mods... that is still a tad less than 3 times the last shift point. And short of mcbabels goal.

By the time you get the engine reved up to 75 plus, even with sprocket mods, you are talking about a lot of strain on this machine.

It's a scooter with knobby tires. An off-road capable Vespa equivalent.

Yes it can be made to go very fast, but be prepared to pay for it in mods, maintenance & repairs. New cylinder, new cams, new crank, etc. etc.

It's gonna take a lot of work and experimentation to get it to run like an XT. It's been done, but not with any single item mod.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, thanks for your helpfull info. I guess i gonna play a bit with the sprockets. If 106 is about standart different sprockets gonna help to speed up a bit without missing too much force. I did not mean to have a racer, just flow with the avarage traffic.

Thanks again,

Robin

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I can crack 75 on the speedo (downhill
but both of my gps's and a local leo speed sign say I'm only going 66-68 mph.

It's been discussed before that the faster we go the farther off our stock speedometers get.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can crack 75 on the speedo but both of my gps's and a local leo speed sign say I'm only going 66-68 mph.

I have opposit experience, mine TW speedometer says I go 80 km/h, but GPS think that it´s 83 km/h. 100 km/h on the clock is true speed 105 km/h.

I don´t know why it is that way, I have change little higher front tire and change the front drum to disc, mean that the gear unit is changed too to newer model (I don´t know if the ratio is a little different).

·
Registered
135 Posts
I went 70 downhill with a tail wind on my bike stock, but now I can hit 70 on a slight incline with only a new chain and 15T front sprocket (and a jimbo screen for aerodynamics). However at that speed it feels like the bike is going to vibrate itself apart, and so I tend to stay a bit shy of there.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Top speed can be affected by many variables, such as weight and shape of load, slope, fuel, wind, weather, sprocket size. I can affect top speed 3mph (5kph) just be repositioning my feet on the pegs. Some data from road trips with similar loads being carried.

72mph (120kph) flat pavement, no wind, altitude 400ft (123m). Verified by GPS, pace by car, police radar. Rejetted carb, 15/50 sprockets. US22 west of Martin, TN.

84mph (135kph) down hill, tail wind, drafting a semi, altitude 1000ft (305m). Verified by police radar. Rejetted carb, 15/47 sprockets. I20 west of Atlanta, GA.

48mph (77kph) flat pavement, moderate headwind, altitude 4000ft (1219m). Verified by pace by car. Rejetted carb, 15/54 sprockets. US385 Big Bend National Park.

32mph, (52kph), up hill, no wind, altitude 10,000ft (3353m). Verified by GPS, paced by car. Rejetted carb, 15/54 sprockets. US24 south of Leadville, CO.

High speed handling sucks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah... 65 is still only 2.6 times the shift point, and I regularly do 70 (112 K/PH) with only sprocket & carb mods... that is still a tad less than 3 times the last shift point. And short of mcbabels goal.

By the time you get the engine reved up to 75 plus, even with sprocket mods, you are talking about a lot of strain on this machine.

Yes it can be made to go very fast, but be prepared to pay for it in mods, maintenance & repairs. New cylinder, new cams, new crank, etc. etc.

It's gonna take a lot of work and experimentation to get it to run like an XT. It's been done, but not with any single item mod.

Agree. AFAIK, my '91 is stock and I have had her to 72mph a couple of times. However I would only do it for short bursts ..normally cruise about 50mph if I am going any distance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here is what I don't get, maybe I am just getting old...

You buy the modern equivalent to the Honda Trail 90, arguably the slowest, most low powered dual-sport on the market right now and you want it to run down the road like a moto GP bike? If top speed is your goal, you bought the wrong bike. You need a KLR or some such machine.

I can get stretching gears out some, even some carb + exhaust mods to give you couple extra ponies to make the commute a bit more tolerable but to make it freeway worthy, or think you will make it win the next hill climbing competition is a total waste of time.

Now building it custom for custom's sake is totally different topic.

We have two bikes in our garage, my TW and an FZ6. I use the TW for commute (35 is my highest posted speed limit) and the 600 for longer, faster rides.

Use the bike as it was designed, to do otherwise is trying to use a hammer to put screws in.

·
Registered
92 Posts

HAHAHAHA! I used that very same analogy at work yesterday. A guy asked me how it was to ride. I told him it like riding a scooter without having to admit you were riding a scooter. LOL

·
Registered
194 Posts
Don't expect changing gearing to help much with top speed. I run 14/40 and still need to draft a semi in order to maintain 75mph on the highway. But even with the tall gearing, I've never gone more than 2 exits on an interstate highway with the bike.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've never gone more than 2 exits on an interstate highway with the bike.
ditto. i just take the on ramp to the off ramp and cruise right on down the feeder road. i can avoid sitting at stop lights that way..you just gotta watch out for all the wackos in cages making crazy last minute, no signal, lane changes to hit the off ramp..keeps you on your toes!

·
Registered
194 Posts
you just gotta watch out for all the wackos in cages making crazy last minute, no signal, lane changes to hit the off ramp..keeps you on your toes!

Yes it does. Running on a road where there are large vehicles (with large blind spots) moving at high speeds forces your alertness level up (along with your stress level). But on a bike you need to drive 10X more defensively that you would in a car anyways, being that you have no protection like you do in a car. Just 2 days ago there was a fatality on I-80 westbound (in Stroudsburg, about 60 miles east of me) where the biker was tagged by a hit-and-run driver, lost control, wiped out, and then was run over by another car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts