TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What might it be, with factory sprockets?

Sure, it'll do 55-60. Will it HOLD that speed?

It makes a difference. I live in a small city in the Rockies...there are two kinds of roads going out of town. Highways, with 75-mph speed limits; and fire trails.

There are plenty of worthwhile trails about - but they often take 30 or more miles of highway to get to them. Trailering this ride isn't an option right now.

So...would I hurt it running it at 55 or so for sustained periods? Can I over-rev the thing (a 2014) or is there a rev limiter?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
They will do 55 all day long, no prob.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I have a 55 tooth rear sprocket and will do 60 mph endlessly. Just make sure the oil is full and chain well lubed. Get a small, cheap tachometer. Redline is 9,500 rpm.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Now that mine has 1000+ miles and after Moab is "broken in", I find 55-60 pretty comfortable on state highways....the first 500 miles or so, not so much....

Reactions: SanDue and TWilight

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Sure, it'll do 55-60. Will it HOLD that speed?

It makes a difference. I live in a small city in the Rockies...there are two kinds of roads going out of town. Highways, with 75-mph speed limits; and fire trails.
I live at 5700 feet. My 2010 has a 13 tooth front for a little more power at this altitude. I can go 65, but only downhill. If I'm going up a gentle hill, 55 is about it. If I'm going up the pass to 8300, I have to downshift to 4th and can only go 45.
There is no way I would try to mix it up with 75 mph traffic on a busy Interstate.

Hurting the engine is not the problem, hurting yourself because you can't get out of the way is. At the higher altitudes of Colorado, fire trails and back roads are the only thing I would tackle. I lived there for 20 years in C. Springs and Aspen, and I would want a MINIMUM of a 250cc bike if I still lived there and COULD NOT trailer the bike. You have already lost a third of your power by 8,000 feet.

Sorry to rain on your parade....given your needs, it is not the right bike for you.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, there is no rev limiter. Yes, it will do the speeds everyone above has posted, and good tips on making sure it is full of oil, and the chain well lubed. :)

But, the answer to JustPassinThru's issue is....dual sprockets. Remove the OEM 50 tooth rear sprocket. Install a set-up of Dual sprockets on the rear. Outer one....a 44 to 47 tooth sprocket, which will lower the engine RPMs for highway use...to get to the trails. Inner sprocket should be a 55 tooth, to give better gearing for off-road riding.

Others on here have already done this, and it works. Not hard to change the chain from one sprocket to the next, once at the trailhead.

I mean...Come On Man ! :p
Interesting idea.

What about issues about the chain sprockets not being directly in line? Sure, it works on a bicycle. Power and speed are a little lower.

Should the highway sprocket be directly in line and the off-road sprocket be offset? How's a quick way to change, without loosening the axle and re-tensioning the chain?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to rain on your parade....given your needs, it is not the right bike for you.
Ah. Those are only some of my needs.

The other, is a quick hop-on-and-go gofer ride in town. Something not so pretty, so that when (not if) it gets knocked over the damages aren't so high. A few years back in another town I had a TU250 for the same purpose - get on and go to go check the mail or get to work a mile away; without all the muscle strain and warmup issues of getting my big BMW out.

Appreciate the honesty; but so far it's worked...okay. Had to move a pickup truck to Helena, about 150 miles away...rather than the hassle of recruiting someone to drive it or my other vehicle, I opted to throw the TW in the back and ride home. Traffic (over a fer-chrissake MOUNTAIN PASS!) was impatient (I was doing about 40 in 4th gear) but by watching it and kissing the white line I was able to stay out of harm's way.

That was really the reason for my concern on this...that trip took me three hours; when I could I was on frontage roads or side roads, but it involved 20 miles on Interstates (not a good idea) and forty more climbing a mountain pass on a busy state highway. My wrench at the Yamaha dealership warned me that the engine might not be up to sustained high speed/RPMs and that's part of why I'm asking.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Now that mine has 1000+ miles and after Moab is "broken in", I find 55-60 pretty comfortable on state highways....the first 500 miles or so, not so much....
Did it get smoother or did you get used to it? Or are the knobbies all smoothed off?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree with Hoot. The engine has smoothed out considerably after I went over 1000 miles. I can run sustained 55-60 mph without any issues, and for longer periods than I could ride my old DR650. The engine really smooths out as it breaks in.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I tend to disagree with the above posts...I never cruise above 40mph with stock gearing and the reason is very simple. My TW or any M/C has a sweet spot for cruising and when I exceed those speeds the TW lets me know In very clear ways...Increased vibration. More mechanical noise. High throttle settings/low vacuum. This question comes up often because these TWs speak to all in this manner...some listen, some do not.

I agree that these are tough reliable motors and can withstand lot of abuse, but extended hi speed cruising 55+ is asking for decreased reliability and engine life. Your bike your call....

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Mine will do 75 plus for extended periods, stock engine and sprockets. When I took it to the NE Russ ride, it was about 3 hrs. on the highway to get there, no problem. Then again, I was towing it in trailer.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tend to disagree with the above posts...I never cruise above 40mph with stock gearing and the reason is very simple. My TW or any M/C has a sweet spot for cruising and when I exceed those speeds the TW lets me know In very clear ways...Increased vibration. More mechanical noise. High throttle settings/low vacuum. This question comes up often because these TWs speak to all in this manner...some listen, some do not.

I agree that these are tough reliable motors and can withstand lot of abuse, but extended hi speed cruising 55+ is asking for decreased reliability and engine life. Your bike your call....
That was pretty-much my gut reaction, too. Which is why I put this out.

What I'm hearing is that I won't gain any speed and may lose some by going with a sprocket change; but I might just make the engine a bit happier at those higher speeds. Although lose the tractorlike pull on first gear.

·
Registered
656 Posts
After 2K miles I am almost always running fairly hard , 45-65 with occasionally 70+ on Odo.. Engine whines and will have more vibration once above 60, but w/synthetic oil and well lubed X-ring chain I don't see any issues so far. I am running mostly below 2,000 feet and with stock 14/50. An interesting note is one that RockyTFS brought up once which is an harmonic vibration that occurs at a certain speed. Mine is right around 50, don't even have to check anymore. It resembles a hum of sorts. Also in passing I run TW203/204 tires.

Reactions: Azxj91

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
... My wrench at the Yamaha dealership warned me that the engine might not be up to sustained high speed/RPMs and that's part of why I'm asking.
I just can't see this in the mountains because the only time you will get sustained high RPM's is going downhill in 5th! The TW engine will run all day at 8500RPM. The ONLY time sustained high RPM's will hurt the engine is climbing Pikes Peak in first gear, and it's not the RPM's, it's the heat not being shed at low speeds.

I have the dual sprockets myself, but this will not help at all at highway speeds, the purpose of duals is to give you some real low speed grunt at high altitudes. I change to a 122 jet and 13/55 above 9,000 feet.

Have you thought of a hitch carrier?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I noticed the vibration, too. At 45, it's fine. Above 50 on a speedo reading, the mirrors go blurry.

Can't be good for the machine, all that buzzing.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you thought of a hitch carrier?
Haven't ruled it out; but it makes a idle-time leisure outing into a big deal.

I'm used to traveling on two wheels; toured the States extensively that way. The idea of trailering/hauling to a location...smacks of trailer queens and posers hauling their bikes with triple-digit mileage to Sturgis or Daytona. I like to ride and I like to ride to where I'm going.

Which of course doesn't necessarily mean I CAN; or that it's the smart plan.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

I agree with LBXR on this. I do run mine up to 55+ speeds from time to time but its not often and i don't try and keep it there all day. the TW is really the wrong tool for eating up freeway miles. . One of mine spent the first 14k of its life running sustained high speeds by the prior owner and the cylinder bore was flat worn out after that. I had to have it bored and i put in a new piston over the winter. The TW has a happy place and for me its 30-45mph if im riding sustained speeds. If i need to cover miles and go faster i have another bike that is a significantly better option.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts