TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using the top scale I used 18" to see how much my chain has stretched -- I went from 1" to 19" to make things easier.

I set the 1" mark (upside down 35" mark) exactly on top of the roller.

P1200018.JPG

The rivets are exactly 1/2" apart so 18" away (at the 19" or upside down 17" mark) there should be a rivet but there isn't. The rivet is at 18 3/16", therefore the chain has stretched 3/16" or .188"

P1200017.JPG

Allowable stretch is .006" per rivet, in this case 37 X .006 = .222", or just under a quarter inch. Therefore this chain is still useable even though it has become like a wet noodle when you hold it.

This has been your update of Tony's never ending saga of him and his chain.

·
Registered
19,202 Posts
Your rear sprocket looks serviceable as well. Cleanliness apparently reaps benefits.:D
Your technique looks more precise than how the manual recommends pulling of a single link away from sprocket and estimating deflection.
Tony is so involved with his never ending chain saga that he actually gave me an o-ring chain from his supplies.
Thank you Tony!
This is the very chain that ended up being installed on plumbstraights bike here when we geared him up (down?) for my "easy trails" with a 55 tooth rear sprocket. So Randall, your chain comes with an interesting somewhat convoluted pedigree.
And Tony your generosity keeps reaping benefits.
How old and how many miles on that chain? It looks as supple as one of Randall's Hickory shirts.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the very chain that ended up being installed on plumbstraights bike here when we geared him up (down?) for my "easy trails" with a 55 tooth rear sprocket.
How old and how many miles on that chain?
I am glad the chain was put to a good use. I was afraid it was going to end up on the shelf in your garage for years and years the way it was doing in my garage.

When I bought my TW it had a brand new chain on it and it was identical to the chain that is on it now. The thing that happened was I was more interested in riding the bike than maintaining it so I tried different sprays looking for an easy, quick way to lubricate the chain. Sorry to say that about 1000 miles later some links started seizing up, I had a trip to the Rubicon ( w/ Adam, David, Mr. Gizmo, and Shawndorf) planned in the very near future, the only chain the motorcycle shop had was the same as the one I was replacing, so I bought it along with new sprockets and vowed to take the best care of it as I could. I also remembered an old timer once told me to soak the chain in gear oil -- so I adopted that method. 28,000 or 29,000 miles later the chain and sprockets are still working though the teeth on the front sprocket are looking very worn. My goal is 30,000 TW odometer miles and I am very close.

As an aside, plumbstraight's chain is the same as the one I have only it has the addition of o-rings. With proper care, maybe excessive care, it should last a long long time. You hear that plumbstraight?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I call his condition: Chainal.
(A combination of chain-anal) ;)

As you can read from his comments,("With proper care, maybe excessive care, it should last a long long time.") he is also trying to infect others with the disease. I for one was only able to fight off his infection for so long. I was even reprimanded for not soaking in Gear Oil when I took a short cut and soaked in motor oil. (But that won't happen twice!)

Trust me, he has the Chainal bad and it is incurable!

·
Super Moderator
17,632 Posts
I was even reprimanded for not soaking in Gear Oil when I took a short cut and soaked in motor oil. (But that won't happen twice. QUOTE]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You would think he wouldn't care about what you filled the bathtub with... Bet you had soft skin after that soaking though... :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Fred......you've seen Tony before.......He doesn't have any hair! :D

And on a side note: Sadly, I not only remember the Brylcreem commercials, I even used the stuff!

·
Super Moderator
17,632 Posts
Fred finds some of the greatest old stuff, doesn't he? :D

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
sooooo.... what's wrong with that chain? looks nice and clean to me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
17,632 Posts
Tony's still going to look at that and think, with just a teeny bit of oil that it will still be good for another 29,000 miles. :D

Only kidding bro, I admire your dedication and commitment to that chain. Pretty impressive.

·
Super Moderator
17,632 Posts
Tony, when you hit the big 30,000 are you changing it over to an O-Ring? You might have boatloads more time to ride your bike. ;)

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Before Tony instructed me with his accredited "Introduction to Chainal" class.
046sm.jpg

Then the same chain after I completed his Advanced Chainal Curriculum:
181sm.jpg

But even then he said I just barely passed!

·
Registered
19,202 Posts
Fred finds some of the greatest old stuff, doesn't he? :D
What do you mean "old stuff"? You mean you guys don't use this stuff anymore? It's a great rust preventer also..plus it claims something about a handsome package.;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts