TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
It's a valid concern. But not really knowing all the details, I can't say how serious. Just for clarification...
-Was a time-line discussed?
-Is it a one man show or larger shop?
-Does your guy control the schedule and workflow?
-Is this "just how he is" (diva)?
-Will you likely be satisfied with the end product regardless of the long wait?

Full disclosure: I'm a has-been tech and have made my living out of my home-based shop. I had loyal regular customers and was able to keep a good handle on my own work flow. I never liked having many customer vehicles around as I was limited on indoor parking and had a couple Karen neighbors. My turnaround was ASAP, as a general rule. I've also worked at several shops and can tell you that customer satisfaction can suffer if anyone in the chain gets caught on a bad day.

Reactions: Westieterrier

·
Registered
721 Posts
Sounds like he's feeling some growing pains right now. That's not really your problem but might explain it. If you've got the time, maybe let it ride for a little longer. Remember, if you pull out of his line, you have to get at the back of someone else's.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Mechanics are a weird breed and you might have just called at a bad time. A single stuck or broken bolt, bearing, seal or widget can trigger a meltdown.
I ran a crew of 9 mechanics and it really was like herding cats, fixing equipment was easy compared to dealing with the personality issues.
If you like his skills, try to ride out the mechanic manic depressive disorder.
Fact checked: True

·
Registered
721 Posts
Blake, your end of year timeline is more than generous and I suspect it will be wrapped up well before that. Lots of businesses are cyclical. My brother owns a couple body shops and winter time (bad weather road conditions) are when he's busiest. As a mechanic, I was always busiest during the summer travel months. In fact, I had a former boss cancel all employee vacations from April to September once because he couldn't bear the thought of missing out on a couple bucks.

I'm not necessarily defending your guy, but I suspect April to September is his prime time too. Once the rain comes back and the kids go back to school, his schedule will likely get less busy and he can focus on some of the less urgent stuff like your project. There's only so many hours in the day and it's a billable hours environment so he really has no incentive to blow you off and sour a customer. If he doesn't work, he doesn't eat. I am glad to see you say how happy you were with his work on your KZ though. Hoping it all works out for you sooner rather than later.

Reactions: TWBigBlake

·
Registered
721 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts