TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Mechanics are a weird breed and you might have just called at a bad time. A single stuck or broken bolt, bearing, seal or widget can trigger a meltdown.
I ran a crew of 9 mechanics and it really was like herding cats, fixing equipment was easy compared to dealing with the personality issues.
If you like his skills, try to ride out the mechanic manic depressive disorder.
Lol, will do, and good to know, thanks Willy!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Mechanics are a weird breed and you might have just called at a bad time. A single stuck or broken bolt, bearing, seal or widget can trigger a meltdown.
I ran a crew of 9 mechanics and it really was like herding cats, fixing equipment was easy compared to dealing with the personality issues.
If you like his skills, try to ride out the mechanic manic depressive disorder.
Fact checked: True

·
Registered
176 Posts
He said June, and we've just started July. I would expect any custom project to run overtime and overbudget.
I'd leave it with him for the summer and not expect to get it back until Labour Day.

As others have mentioned, even if you go and fetch it now, what then? It doesn't sound like there is anyone else in your area who you trust to do the work right.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Then got told if I didn't want to wait I could come get the bike, or he would get to it when he gets to it. After he'd already cut the stem the upper engine mount connects to.
So, blackmail. Nice mechanic. I'd ask him how much it would cost to do what HE promised he would do.

·
Administrator
6,307 Posts
I know how easy it is to get yourself caught up in something like this, but it can help if you can understand how the other side thinks

On one hand, he has a long job/project ahead, meanwhile, someone needs a puncture fixing. What’s he going to say. “Sorry, I can’t fix a simple puncture for the next week, because I have something else to do”. Then you get onto servicing, things that only take a couple of hours to complete, meanwhile his boss (if he has one), says “Why are you turning all my customers away because you insist on this one job?”

You end up going to the back of the queue every time, simply because the job takes time, and in the mechs world, he can please 12 people and piss of one, or he can please the one, and the other twelve ‘aint coming back. You see the problem. A busy mechanic reacts to demand, and to the demand of the many, and not to the few

You now find yourself in an unenviable position, (been there myself), sit and wait, apply pressure, or pick up the bits and bail out. There is no easy answer to this, and it depends on your relationship with the mechanic, and the other constraints he is under. Too much pressure can result in an engine getting “thrown together” (and out of the door), too little, and you’ll be there forever

My personal approach would to be to “embarrass” the mechanic into action, reminding him that the riding season is passing you by while he waits, and by perhaps an “Oscar winning performance” about your plight. There's one thing bikers will always do towards a fellow biker, and that is to help

That’s the nerve you need to touch …..

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ski and Purple both bring good points to the table

This was really how I was feeling:

"There is no easy answer to this, and it depends on your relationship with the mechanic, and the other constraints he is under. Too much pressure can result in an engine getting “thrown together” (and out of the door), too little, and you’ll be there forever"

I like the mechanic, he did a stellar job on my KZ550 overhaul, so I'd like to maintain a good rapport if I can.

I'm going to take slices from every pie here. The plan is to do what I've done with contractors in the past. I will give them way more rope than they should have to hang themselves with. So in the end, I know I gave them every opportunity to succeed, so there will be no questions or explainations if they don't.

I'll give my guy till the end of the year, if nothing has been done once the riding season is over and things settle down, then (as Ski eluded to) big scary Blake makes a short appearance to redefine terms and explain next steps. I'd love to knock this project out, but this work will also define our business-customer relationship.

I'll just go into the shop at the end of July to check on progress myself and as purple stated, appeal to the biker side of things, and just see how things go.

I'm a vet, I need no courses in how to make someone's life miserable and turn the screws. But I am also a vet, and delicately handling a relationship with a business owner is not always my strongest suit.

Thank you for everyone's input, I do appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
20,109 Posts
This: >> "I'll just go into the shop at the end of July to check on progress myself and as purple stated, appeal to the biker side of things, and just see how things go."

End of the year is being too kind. It's your bike and you should have some say...

·
Registered
62 Posts
All of these suggestions are good. Bottom line is only you truly know the situation, only you know what kind of relationship you wish to continue having with the mechanic in the future, and only you know how long you are willing to wait for the situation to work itself out (and possibly wind up with another stellar rebuild!)
Simply put, you weigh your different options,and you proceed in a manner that feels right to you. You can also use the different options as Plan A, Plan B, etc.
All the advice given here is good, and would be applicable under the right circumstances, but you and you alone know which path is right for you.
Good luck! I hope everything works out to your liking.
(And for the record, yes, you are totally in the right feeling you're being messed with!)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Blake, your end of year timeline is more than generous and I suspect it will be wrapped up well before that. Lots of businesses are cyclical. My brother owns a couple body shops and winter time (bad weather road conditions) are when he's busiest. As a mechanic, I was always busiest during the summer travel months. In fact, I had a former boss cancel all employee vacations from April to September once because he couldn't bear the thought of missing out on a couple bucks.

I'm not necessarily defending your guy, but I suspect April to September is his prime time too. Once the rain comes back and the kids go back to school, his schedule will likely get less busy and he can focus on some of the less urgent stuff like your project. There's only so many hours in the day and it's a billable hours environment so he really has no incentive to blow you off and sour a customer. If he doesn't work, he doesn't eat. I am glad to see you say how happy you were with his work on your KZ though. Hoping it all works out for you sooner rather than later.

Reactions: TWBigBlake

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Get a few "friends" to inquire about getting custom built machines and have them ask if they can see his handiwork on one of his "special" projects. Might get a fire lit thinking he needs to get it done so it can be showed off to attract business? There would be no need for either honey or vinegar from you that way and your safely outside of his anger zone if one of them pisses him off.
🤷

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Why not just show up in the middle of a hot day, with a six pack of lunch?

You like the guy and you want to groom the relationship. I get the feeling that the time frame is less important to you than the end product. It'll be done by spring unless he gets himself in jail.

Just talk to him and let him know that you were bugging him because it was convenient for you and you thought it was the friendly thing to do. I know from the way you post that you can pull off that doe-eyed sincerity as well as Little Tommie.

I'm not suggesting that you act like a p"$$y. I am only suggesting that it might be an act to consider if you really want the long term thing with this fellow. Heck, in the end, it's only a bike.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,109 Posts
Why not just show up in the middle of a hot day, with a six pack of lunch?

You like the guy and you want to groom the relationship. I get the feeling that the time frame is less important to you than the end product. It'll be done by spring unless he gets himself in jail.

Just talk to him and let him know that you were bugging him because it was convenient for you and you thought it was the friendly thing to do. I know from the way you post that you can pull off that doe-eyed sincerity as well as Little Tommie.

I'm not suggesting that you act like a p"$$y. I am only suggesting that it might be an act to consider if you really want the long term thing with this fellow. Heck, in the end, it's only a bike.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
That might just actually work!! ha ha

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Does seem like the best advice so far. It's easy to forget Canadians are way more laid back than we are in the states. I really enjoyed my time up in western CA. Watched them fold a crane in half over my trailer one day. No one cursed, no one flipped out. Foreman just threw his hands up and said well we was hungry anyway let's go eat.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I hope you don't mind yet another opionion on this. Friendly but serious, putting all the bullshit aside kind of conversation is good. Try to see both sides, not just your own. Get him thinking that way too. Till now your job's not done and hasn't gone how anyone's hoped it would. No doubt he wishes it wasn't so either.

Realistically, what are you gonna do now anyway but wait? It might as well be a productive problem solving, pleasant wait rather than an acrimonious bitch session where you're both mad and he ends up filling your transmission with rice crispies (or something) just to vent his frustration on you. If you rant, rave, cuss, and stomp around the man just may get his back up so bad you may never get it done... Word can get around too - if you go to another shop feeling out bail-out options on the first guy for yourself others may check with him and take or leave the job depending on what he says about you and your attitude. You don't want to end up being the bad guy over this. Nobody's perfect right? It's just one of those things.

I'm thinking that since you apparently have another ride in the meantime anyway (don't you?) why not just let it ride? Cut him more slack. Tell him you see he's up to his arse in alligators and give him lots and lots of rope so that in the end there is no way he can say you "pressured him." Again, I know you're disappointed by now but sometimes that's just the way things go in life. Give him until the beginning of the next riding season to have it wrapped up. Tell him with a smile it's on the condition there's to be no more if's but's or other excuses. Tell him fair and reasonable is fair and reasonable, and that there's a point where he'll have to put OTHER customers off for a change in favour of your work since. Ask him to give him your word, and shake on it. No way any shop can argue the reasonableness on this tack, least in my view.

Paddy

·
Registered
620 Posts

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
After this length of time I hope he has at the very least been in contact with you keeping you up to date.....regardless of progress, or lack thereof.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts