TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a hard time finding a mechanic to service my bike because of the age.

I have an intermittent problem that seems to happen when the engine is warmed up, but not always? I've recently had the carb overhauled and a vacuum leak was identified, but that didn't solve the problem. It seems to get fuel starved and with increasing throttle it bucks and hisses and will backfire with no power; shift gears and it will power up briefly then go back to fuel starved? Pulling my hair out and cant trust it for a long trail ride. Current mechanic is going out of the business and I could use a recommendation for anywhere within 75 miles of SF.

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum!! :D

Sounds like the typical 87's only weakness. The CDI.
I'm having a hard time finding a mechanic to service my bike because of the age.

I have an intermittent problem that seems to happen when the engine is warmed up, but not always? I've recently had the carb overhauled and a vacuum leak was identified, but that didn't solve the problem. It seems to get fuel starved and with increasing throttle it bucks and hisses and will backfire with no power; shift gears and it will power up briefly then go back to fuel starved? Pulling my hair out and cant trust it for a long trail ride. Current mechanic is going out of the business and I could use a recommendation for anywhere within 75 miles of SF.

Registered
Hi KGB, and welcome to the forum!

Where are you located in the Bay Area? The 1987 model year is rumored to have problematic CDI boxes. I have a 1987 parts bike that was running before I started cannibalizing parts from it. You are welcome to borrow my CDI box to see if that makes any difference on your bike.

There is also another fellow NorCal Nutjob that has two 1987's that are both tuned to perfection (Hint: His initials are Tony :D) who may willing to offer some advice/assistance.

Brian

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks; I live in Walnut Creek and work in San Jose, so I'm close to you. CDI Box sounds like a potential culprit and it would be great to eliminate that as the issue. The previous owner had an alarm hooked up and there is a rat's nest of wiring that I thought could contribute to the problem if a bare wire shorts, but I've been reluctant to mess with it. How can we orchestrate the handoff?

Registered
Golden Bolt.jpg
"TW-Brian" must be Minnesotan for "Always Above and Beyond"

Registered

Does the engine race for a split second to a second at times too? It could be exhaust leak right at the cylinder head to exhaust pipe. (JUST ANOTHER THOGHT)

VALLEJO POWERSPORTS

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, no engine racing. It runs fine and then all of a sudden decides to not accept any throttle and hisses and backfires with no power to drive forward. Gonna try the CDI Box Brian has so graciously suggested and I'll post progress from there.

Registered
Hey TW-Brian? I am having some problems around the house. I think it could be the wife. Can I borrow yours for a couple "spins around the block"?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts