TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be making a third annual trip to Wyoming the first 2 weeks of June. The location is on the border of Idaho, in Wyoming, near the town of Alpine (just south of Jackson). I (Eric, 50) have a reservation for a Forest Service Guard Station (a cabin) for 4 nights beginning June 1. Sleeps 6. Says you can't camp outside it, but there are superb dispersed spots all over. The cabin is 22 miles into the forest, and I hope the gravel road won't be too muddy, as I will be using a van or truck to get there. I have been to the place three times, so I'm familiar with the area. You can ride 50+ miles south, all gravel road and all of along the Greys River. It is pristine and just unreal in how beautiful it is. Several roads extend off the main one, providing some stellar exploring. Over on the Idaho side, there are more roads than you can ride in years. Some are challenging (thanks to those golf-carts rutting up the hills) and most are easy, loaded with flowers and pine trees.
If anyone might be interested in meeting-up, please feel free to get in touch. Plenty of time to make plans!
Tire Wheel Sky Mountain Plant

Cloud Sky Plant Fence Window
Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape Mountain

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'll be making a third annual trip to Wyoming the first 2 weeks of June. The location is on the border of Idaho, in Wyoming, near the town of Alpine (just south of Jackson). I (Eric, 50) have a reservation for a Forest Service Guard Station (a cabin) for 4 nights beginning June 1. Sleeps 6. Says you can't camp outside it, but there are superb dispersed spots all over. The cabin is 22 miles into the forest, and I hope the gravel road won't be too muddy, as I will be using a van or truck to get there. I have been to the place three times, so I'm familiar with the area. You can ride 50+ miles south, all gravel road and all of along the Greys River. It is pristine and just unreal in how beautiful it is. Several roads extend off the main one, providing some stellar exploring. Over on the Idaho side, there are more roads than you can ride in years. Some are challenging (thanks to those golf-carts rutting up the hills) and most are easy, loaded with flowers and pine trees.
If anyone might be interested in meeting-up, please feel free to get in touch. Plenty of time to make plans!
View attachment 221448
View attachment 221449 View attachment 221450
View attachment 221448
View attachment 221449 View attachment 221450

Are you staying at Moose GS on the Grey's? I've stayed there before about 12 years ago. There is some pretty high elevation single-track in that area. Pretty Area with decent fishing

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you staying at Moose GS on the Grey's? I've stayed there before about 12 years ago. There is some pretty high elevation single-track in that area. Pretty Area with decent fishing
I will be at McCain GS. It's over by the Little Greys River. I have stopped by most of the GS in the area, and I chose this one because it's close to town for food and fuel. There's a new Broulim's in Alpine and they have great prepared food and I think this is one that's open on Sundays! Anyway, this area is a secret hidden gem. I mostly run into locals, especially the fishermen. Grizzly country, sort-of. Loads of moose, deer, elk and prong-horn. The birds are nuts here too. Some trails (roads) aren't open until July 1... I need to go later at some point!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I will be at McCain GS. It's over by the Little Greys River. I have stopped by most of the GS in the area, and I chose this one because it's close to town for food and fuel. There's a new Broulim's in Alpine and they have great prepared food and I think this is one that's open on Sundays! Anyway, this area is a secret hidden gem. I mostly run into locals, especially the fishermen. Grizzly country, sort-of. Loads of moose, deer, elk and prong-horn. The birds are nuts here too. Some trails (roads) aren't open until July 1... I need to go later at some point!

I will try to get over there for a couple nights to say Hello. I've been all the way up the Greys over to LaBarge and been over Union Pass near Green River Lakes but don't remember ever going up near that particular GS. Sounds like fun. That is all Beautiful County

·
Super Moderator
15,170 Posts
Mrs. Admiral and I are interested but the date is too far off for us to commit to it yet. Have you been here before this early? I was wondering if snow might still be an issue or not.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mrs. Admiral and I are interested but the date is too far off for us to commit to it yet. Have you been here before this early? I was wondering if snow might still be an issue or not.
I have been there around June 15 for the last 2 years. Snow was melted, but two passes are usually snowed in until July (on the Salt Range side). One year, there was a ton of mud and one year there was nearly none. The spots with snow are not part any necessary travel routes. I plan to be wandering for 2 weeks, so Idaho may be an option for second week of June. One spot I keep thinking of is the area near Lander, WY. There's a road (131) that goes up and out of town into the very southernmost Wind Range, connecting to the South Pass area. Could be a good riding area and camping spot (no grizzlies!).
Ecoregion World Map Atlas Parallel

·
Super Moderator
20,700 Posts
I have been there around June 15 for the last 2 years. Snow was melted, but two passes are usually snowed in until July (on the Salt Range side). One year, there was a ton of mud and one year there was nearly none. The spots with snow are not part any necessary travel routes. I plan to be wandering for 2 weeks, so Idaho may be an option for second week of June. One spot I keep thinking of is the area near Lander, WY. There's a road (131) that goes up and out of town into the very southernmost Wind Range, connecting to the South Pass area. Could be a good riding area and camping spot (no grizzlies!). View attachment 221481
No Grizzlies (that you've seen... ha ha) 😆😏

• Wow
Reactions: Allanb

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No Grizzlies (that you've seen... ha ha) 😆😏
As a non-hard-sided camper (a.k.a. on the ground tent camper), I keep on eye on the news and gov't sites that report grizzly sightings. Every few years, one shows up further and further south! As far south as Lake Vita Naughton. 41°58'56.7"N 110°39'55.2"W
After the bear encounter last September, I have done some deep thinking about my bear-aware practices!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Interested, but a bit far off to commit. Does Wyoming require an OHV decal?

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Well, I went and checked it out
ORV decal info
If riding on trails less than 50” you need a decal - $15

Reactions: littletommy

·
Super Moderator
20,700 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Here's a pic I took of my map showing the immediate area. Wyoming DOT publishes 12 nice free maps every year, aimed at OHV riders. You may have guessed, I love maps. View attachment 221482
You are correct. The road goes from Lander over to South Pass/Atlantic City past Louis Lake I think it is. We took FJ into Cristina Lake years ago. Rough road but doable on a TW. West of Lander is Dubois. You can go from Dubois up over Union Pass to Green River Lakes down to Pinedale. Couple real pretty Lakes up off Union but early June it's most likely snowed in.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Does a licensed bike have to have one?
Yes, if riding on trails less than 50”

• Street legal ORVs are only required to purchase a Wyoming ORV permit if operating on a 50" or less trail. Enrolled roads and routes are open to street legal ORVs or ORVs with ORV permit.

Reactions: Allanb

·
Super Moderator
20,700 Posts
Yes, if riding on trails less than 50”

• Street legal ORVs are only required to purchase a Wyoming ORV permit if operating on a 50" or less trail. Enrolled roads and routes are open to street legal ORVs or ORVs with ORV permit.
Meaning width? Wouldn't that be like most of the trails everyone rides??

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Meaning width? Wouldn't that be like most of the trails everyone rides??
If you are on a FSR then no decal is needed, but once you get on the ORV trails you would need a decal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been there around June 15 for the last 2 years. Snow was melted, but two passes are usually snowed in until July (on the Salt Range side). One year, there was a ton of mud and one year there was nearly none. The spots with snow are not part any necessary travel routes. I plan to be wandering for 2 weeks, so Idaho may be an option for second week of June. One spot I keep thinking of is the area near Lander, WY. There's a road (131) that goes up and out of town into the very southernmost Wind Range, connecting to the South Pass area. Could be a good riding area and camping spot (no grizzlies!). View attachment 221481
Camping off 131 is good and there's several options as long as you're not in a large truck/camper because most spots are small. The best part is leaving out of Lander you go through Sinks Canyon state park. The river coming down the canyon literally dissapears into one wall of the canyon (the sinks) and a quarter of a mile later it rises up out of a bunch of little springs from the opposite canyon wall (the rise). It is quite the sight to see and the trout are humongous in the rise. While you're in the area check out South Pass / Atlantic City, a pair of ghost towns from the mining era. If you fish then definitely bring a rod with you as the fishing in this area is usually great.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts