TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
51 Posts
Regarding OHV decals, get the maps. They will tell you which roads/trails require the sticker and it has been known to change from year to year so you really want to be current. Most of my riding is in the mountains on forest service "roads", some of which are barely passable on a bike, definitely not in a pickup, but yet they are still classified as roads and don't require the stickers. Some of the trails I ride do require the sticker though so I just get one each year just in case I find myself in the back country and see a trail that interests me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm from Idaho Falls, so very close. There will very likely be significant snow in the high country that time of year. I ran into impassable snow on the Garnes Mountain trail early July last summer. Lots of nice places to ride south of Palasades reservoir and along the Snake river. I haven't ridden many trails on the Wyo. side as I mostly go to that area to float the river in Alpine Canyon, and usually just use the bike as a shuttle rig. You could check out the Bear Creek trail near the Palasades dam, or the Fall Creek area near Swan Valley. Those are both good places to ride on the Idaho side. Granite hotsprings would be a good easy day trip from Alpine too.

·
Super Moderator
15,691 Posts
This sounds like a great trip for sure! My wife and I think the dates will work well. Now our question is, we have a Tdub but we my be riding a WR250R, do you allow scum traders like us to join?
I highly doubt it would be TW exclusive and any bike/rider would be welcome. At Moab were are not TW snobs and have several different bikes. You'd be fine with any bike.

·
Super Moderator
21,823 Posts
Ok, I think the answer is no. I understand and I hope it’s a great trip! Enjoy life guys,
You got it all wrong bro. Anyone can ride any bike they want. Like Admiral said, folks from this forum are not snobs. You better go!! 😄

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I am bumping this post, as it is now March and June is three months away! I still haven't found optimal transportation (the van I have reserved isn't covered by my insurance! "No vans")... I think I may go with Avis, as they have a decent price but only have trucks at the airport.
Sorry I didn't reply to the ORV sticker question. I am still confused, as our bikes are plated. Motorcycle-only trails aren't open until July 1st anyway.
I am still considering where to head the 2nd week of June. Might go west to Idaho again, and end up in Reno, where a fellow rider lives.
Maybe I should do the WYBDR.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm from Idaho Falls, so very close. There will very likely be significant snow in the high country that time of year. I ran into impassable snow on the Garnes Mountain trail early July last summer. Lots of nice places to ride south of Palasades reservoir and along the Snake river. I haven't ridden many trails on the Wyo. side as I mostly go to that area to float the river in Alpine Canyon, and usually just use the bike as a shuttle rig. You could check out the Bear Creek trail near the Palasades dam, or the Fall Creek area near Swan Valley. Those are both good places to ride on the Idaho side. Granite hotsprings would be a good easy day trip from Alpine too.
Hey, thanks for the reply. I have ridden all over the ID side. Up to Caribou City, all over Swan Valley below the dam, and up Fall Creek Road too. I know the area well. The north-south ridge from Tincup to Fall Creek Road is insanely beautiful with flowers in Spring. The only snow that is an issue in the area I ride in June is one pass in Salt River Range, where the old pioneer trail is. Here's a pic or two from last June, west of Alpine.
Flower Plant Plant community Mountain Natural landscape

Jensen Creek Road (FR 058), north of McCoy Creek, ID.
Sky Plant Plant community Mountain Tree

McCoy Creek Road (FR 087), looking West.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey, thanks for the reply. I have ridden all over the ID side. Up to Caribou City, all over Swan Valley below the dam, and up Fall Creek Road too. I know the area well. The north-south ridge from Tincup to Fall Creek Road is insanely beautiful with flowers in Spring. The only snow that is an issue in the area I ride in June is one pass in Salt River Range, where the old pioneer trail is. Here's a pic or two from last June, west of Alpine. View attachment 224012
Jensen Creek Road (FR 058), north of McCoy Creek, ID.
View attachment 224013

McCoy Creek Road (FR 087), looking West.
The roads will be fine. Heck with as little snow as we got this year the trails will probably be fine by June except in some shady patches. Have you considered the East - West Tour Of Idaho. I been wanting to do that one for a couple of years. There's dry lake bed, South of the bruneau sand dunes, on the way, I'd like to check out for a future land sailing trip.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have the east-west tour of Idaho (T4 ) already mapped out on the onx hunt app. Would really like to do it.
Also, the T3 south-north TOI route or Idaho bdr.
Wyoming is unfortunately not going to work this year for me.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I have the east-west tour of Idaho (T4 ) already mapped out on the onx hunt app. Would really like to do it.
Also, the T3 south-north TOI route or Idaho bdr.
Wyoming is unfortunately not going to work this year for me.
Hey man, no worries. I might swing over into Idaho again as I will likely be off all of June. Keeping options open... and, well, gas. That's a little factor all of a sudden!

·
Registered
2018 Tw, rickoshay, Shinko, tusk, on and on
495 Posts
Was taken by how little snow on mtns all way back up from Az/ ut.
wasatch, wallawas Rocky’s above Boise. All seemed pretty lean

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Was taken by how little snow on mtns all way back up from Az/ ut.
wasatch, wallawas Rocky’s above Boise. All seemed pretty lean
Spring is here! I monitor the snow in Alpine via this nice cam: See Flying Saddle Live Webcam & Weather Report in Alpine WY, Wyoming, US | SeeCam
It snowed here last night (in the Laguna Mountains). I wonder if all the early-bird PCT hikers were prepared. I've seen so many the last two weekends. I just did a 170+ mile ride on Sunday. Met-up with a local via the ADV Rider forum. The other two guys had mechanical issues, so it was just two of us.
Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

That's The Wall.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am based in Montana and just returned from the Moab trip. After listening to others talk about riding Wyoming, mostly oldworld 124, now my wheels are turning...

I have Wyoming ORV permits on my bike and street legal ATV. Basically if you're in Wyoming and leaving a road for cars, you probably need it so it's best to have it.

Yes, when people talk about 50" trails, that is width.

Sent from the demons in my head

·
Registered
2018 Tw, rickoshay, Shinko, tusk, on and on
495 Posts
Just looked at the flying saddle cam. Bit of snow there above the lake. But heck, we got turned around again yesterday by snow at 3000' here north of seattle.
Look forward to riding in the area for a week. About 29 may-june 6th

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Just looked at the flying saddle cam. Bit of snow there above the lake. But heck, we got turned around again yesterday by snow at 3000' here north of seattle.
Look forward to riding in the area for a week. About 29 may-june 6th
Cool, man. I am happy to have some company, as it will allow for longer rides (safer than being alone miles from services). I just installed my 1 gallon Rotopax fuel container to compliment my 128 oz Primus bottle (that's 28 miles with o' gas). I plan to pick up a non-California compliant plastic gas can on the way up in Utah (5 gallons). I have a spare rear tube, but I will order a front one this week. I'm still on the stock chain, as the snail adjuster still has some room!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts