TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Alpine is 3 hours and 20 minutes from me so I will try to get up there if I can. I need to fly to Knoxville the morning of the 5th and riding the Arapean Trail system over Memorial weekend but this working man will do his best to get up there for a couple days of riding. I've ridden some of the single-track track West of the Greys River and it is some intense stuff but never been over to where that GS is

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Alpine is 3 hours and 20 minutes from me so I will try to get up there if I can. I need to fly to Knoxville the morning of the 5th and riding the Arapean Trail system over Memorial weekend but this working man will do his best to get up there for a couple days of riding. I've ridden some of the single-track track West of the Greys River and it is some intense stuff but never been over to where that GS is
The Guard Station is on a dead-end road that follows the Little Greys River. At the 2 ends are an outfitter's camp and a horse trail-head. If you might be available June 1 to 4, send me a direct message. I won't have good cell service after the 1st.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Are you guys planning to ride single-track or jeep roads?
The single tracks won't be legal until July 1st and also require a special sticker/ $15 permit. I seem to end up in the area in June every year. I need to be more patient and do a July trip! The Jeep roads are basically easy logging / fire / old tie hack roads. Well maintained, but if it rains, the mud is treacherous. Some of the single track goes through meadows and last year I turned back early due to thinking I'd tear up the place. This was on the way to the actual motor-cycle only section. I was solo, so I thought I better not risk getting stuck.
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

I wussed-out right here!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The roads will be fine. Heck with as little snow as we got this year the trails will probably be fine by June except in some shady patches. Have you considered the East - West Tour Of Idaho. I been wanting to do that one for a couple of years. There's dry lake bed, South of the bruneau sand dunes, on the way, I'd like to check out for a future land sailing trip.
Thanks man. My concerns for roads is for the rental I'll be using. No concern for the t-dub at all! Just getting to a nice camping spot and the cabin... mud sucks. It's like ice. The prayers I said on my last trip...

·
Registered
2018 Tw, rickoshay, Shinko, tusk, on and on
495 Posts
Thanks to Talcrie for introduction to Wyoming range. We saw white tail and elk everywhere. Pronghorn down lower in sage.
were only blocked by snow on one 8000’ pass. Wish I had gotten pic of enormous grizzly print in snow there. But was distracted by a river otter ( at 8000’ ?) scampering across the snow.
on to riding in Jackson hole. Didn’t realize it had so many back and dirt rds
Sleeve T-shirt Font Event Pattern

Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Natural landscape

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Fine looking country there.

Wish you woulda got a movie of that otter. They are my favorite animal to watch in the wild.

For over 10 years we lived on a remote stretch of the Illinois River, here in sunny southern Oregon. Best swimming river ever and we had a perfect swimming hole complete with otters.

When The Boss and I were still fresh, we were floating, nose to nose, on air mattresses. An otter decided to spend 15 minutes swimming under us from one side to the other, popping up each time in a different spot to look at us. The rascal brushed my elbow once with his back and nearly spooked me to apoplexy. No, we did not dangle our fingers.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Fine looking country there.

Wish you woulda got a movie of that otter. They are my favorite animal to watch in the wild.

For over 10 years we lived on a remote stretch of the Illinois River, here in sunny southern Oregon. Best swimming river ever and we had a perfect swimming hole complete with otters.

When The Boss and I were still fresh, we were floating, nose to nose, on air mattresses. An otter decided to spend 15 minutes swimming under us from one side to the other, popping up each time in a different spot to look at us. The rascal brushed my elbow once with his back and nearly spooked me to apoplexy. No, we did not dangle our fingers.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
That was the first one I ever saw in the wild. There was a culvert beneath the road and the stream was running fast. I think he didn't want to swim through the tube, so he plopped on the snow-covered road and made his way across it, right in front of us. We were con-currently peering at a bear-track in the snow. We saw numerous deer (I think there are both Mule Deer and White-tail here), loads of elk, several moose, groups of Sandhill Cranes, nervous Speed Goats (prong-horn), howling coyotes, and a few persky golf-carts. I always stare at the ponds, looking for beavers, but no luck in the last few years.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts