TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has mecdads front rack.
How do you like it?
What have you used it for?
How long does it take you to take it off when it's not needed?
Would you buy it again?
Please give me your thoughts on this rack.
The price seems fair
Just trying to decide if it's for me..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mekdad rack I’ve got one I really like it it’s real lite weight perfect place to keep A pistol in a watertight box. He is testing a matching rear rack . Mounts simple enough to the triple clamps and yes I would buy another one . I’m going to for one of my other TW

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow only one reply...
I thought this rack would be more popular....
Time for some serious thought.....
mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mekdad rack I’ve got one I really like it it’s real lite weight perfect place to keep A pistol in a watertight box. He is testing a matching rear rack . Mounts simple enough to the triple clamps and yes I would buy another one . I’m going to for one of my other TW
What's it look like?

·
Super Moderator
5,428 Posts
I thought this rack would be more popular....
Front racks are less popular in general – it’s not just about who made it …..

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a picture of this rack on your bike???
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess our tdubs are not fast enough to worry about aerodynamics..
We're you able to notice any performance difference with and without the
Rack
Thanks
Mike

Reactions: paddy

·
Registered
56 Posts
A friend just made something similar to MekDads for his own bike, but with some small changes. One thing he did that someone suggested was to make it into a quick change rack, with the steel attachment point brackets that actually stay on the bike. A handy feature I'd say.

Paddy

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I
A friend just made something similar to MekDads for his own bike, but with some small changes. One thing he did that someone suggested was to make it into a quick change rack, with the steel attachment point brackets that actually stay on the bike. A handy feature I'd say.

Paddy
If I buy this rack It will be modified to be taken on and off..

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I've hit 'stuff' with my front wheel hard enough to smush my face against thte headlight. Picture a hand stand from the bars rising from the seat, using the front fender to support my head and you get the idea of the body position. If I had that rack, even empty, it like to break my neck. For the same reason, I like my rear manrack better than those huge platforms I see that are so popular. If I need a quick get-off to the rear, that rack is likely to hang me up. Mostly I use my body to store and carry; a fanny pack and a small shoulder/backpack that carries my water bag and a few soft items like toilet paper and such. I just find it easier to maneuver the bike if it's not loaded down than loaded as well.
Just my opinion and all that, for what it's worth. Yours can vary.

EDIT
Here's a sketch of what I mean. Called 'The Flying W' because the leg position resembles a W. The sketch shows the rider with arms strong enough to keep his head above the bars. Mine are not and my head ends up staring into the headlight upside down.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I suggest that maybe you posibly consider
NOT hitting such things quite so hard..
But don't let me take the fun out of your ride...
P.s.
Great sketch

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I suggest that maybe you posibly consider
NOT hitting such things quite so hard..
But don't let me take the fun out of your ride...
P.s.
Great sketch
It's not on purpose! Sometimes a log just appears across a trail. Or a pot hole filled with water is deeper than expected with a sharper edge than anticipated.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I guess our tdubs are not fast enough to worry about aerodynamics..
We're you able to notice any performance difference with and without the
Rack
Thanks
Mike
I actually had this rack on the front of my 2006. I have it off right now because I’m reworking the front forks and the headlight. I have never had it at highway speed‘s enough to tell the difference. It’s light as a feather you don’t even know it’s on there. I use it to keep a pistol in a weatherproof plastic box that’s easy to get to because I really don’t like a tank bag everyone I’ve ever had leaked. I have several feeders and I put out a lot of traps during the winter it makes it really handy to get to my pistol to dispatch an animal. Where I live spiderwebs build across the log roads and trails and are aggravating When they get all over you. On the front of my four wheelers I mount old car antennas to break the spiderwebs.I am going to put one on the front of this rack because a lot of times I’ll ride around on these old log Roads with nothing but a ball cap on.My head and my land I’ll do what I want to on it.I know it’s not politically correct. And by the way Mekdad is prototyping a matching rear rack.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Enjoy your ball cap rides , I like them too.....
Political correctness be damned...
Thankfully. South Carolina is still a helmet free state...
It's not far away from me...
Mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
The more I look at it the more it grows on me, looks like it would hold my 12v truckers microwave.

Trails and popcorn!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Here in Florida it is optional but I almost always wear a helmet. However, occasionally I will take the ball cap sense of freedom ride. Why? Just because it one of the few last bastions of freedom Florida gave back to us years ago. And, when I ride naked I don’t look as stupid with the ball cap as with helmet!

Marty

·
Registered
144 Posts
i built my own out of some aluminum stock for about $15 at home depot. the problem is that when you put any amount of weight on the front it seriously messes with your steering. i wont put anything on there unless im gonna drive down a flat non bumpy road.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts