TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks guys!!!!

I guess I have some thinking to do. The 350 idea might be good. I went for a ride this afternoon and agree the tw200 is a fun bike. We have trails (they call them walking trails, but not much chance of that after a rain) around our entire subdivision that they have built wood bridges over some wet areas and creeks.. I didn't use the bridges. Was a lot of fun for sure... I don't think I am going to get rid of this bike. I love the idea of buying something else and keeping both and seeing what I think and love after a year. Wife won't love it, but not much makes her happy. I am taking her on a cruise and to mexico to keep her eyes on the prize.. lol.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
An XT250 might be more reasonable compromise between the TW and the KTM worthy of consideration. The KTM 690 seems like such a polar opposite there must be other mid-displacement candidates before making a decision.
Forum Member XT255 started with a TW, bought an XT225 when he moved to west coast and recently has transitioned to a very impressive XT250. A very capable bike that has done as well or better than TWs on many a ride with us. They also can be lowered somewhat, have reasonable maintenance costs the KTM may lack, and have been around long enough to be pretty well de-bugged.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I sat on the XT250, and honestly think I prefer the Honda 250. We will see. I think at this point if I keep the TW200 for fun rock crawling etc at Brown or Bushy or Uwharrie, and then the KTM could be my street and fire road type of adventure mountain bike. I will sleep on it.

I can't take it with me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I chose my location because of my personality. My town is considered either slow, backwards, or isolated by most everyone else. People who tailgate or speed are considered very impolite.
I spent a few weeks in Powell River (work at the waste water plant) many years ago. Nice place. Powell River that is, plant was OK I suppose.

I remember a bar with terrycloth on the tables that would turn into a strip club every hour or so.

Good times.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I sat on the XT250, and honestly think I prefer the Honda 250. We will see. I think at this point if I keep the TW200 for fun rock crawling etc at Brown or Bushy or Uwharrie, and then the KTM could be my street and fire road type of adventure mountain bike. I will sleep on it.

I can't take it with me.
Never seen a TW at Brown or Brushy. I did see a guy on a TW at CAW one time. KTM just seems like too much for the trails to me. Good for the street.

·
Registered
562 Posts
there's nothing wrong with wanting more performance. If you think you are lacking on the TW then you are. If you don't need the money get the KTM and keep the TW until you know in your heart its not for you. Both great bikes in their own way. You should keep your TW in my garage until you figure it out.I suggest the KTM over the other bikes you are considering. It's the real deal.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
690 or a TW?

Both!

Thats like a Ford raptor VS a Jeep Rubicon. Apples to oranges. One can not do what the other can, but they are both best at what's they can do and both are needed depending..

My everyday, or should I say my every weekend bike is a Husqvarna 701, basically a ktm 690 but a hair better in some areas relevant to how I use it.

I have a 32" inseem when I'm at proper weight. At 250lbs my in-seem seems to be more like 30" lol. I'm 5'11 or was 30 years ago. I'm afraid to measure at my age (53 now).

I also have a tw, it's awesome, it's not a trail weapon like my 701 or TE300i 2-stroke but it fills a need that neither of them can. I will tell you, you will need to be a substancially accomplished rider on a 690 to even consider riding tight single track (if it's not lowered) with a 30" inseam. But it can be done.

I ride single track with 2 stroke ktm's and Husqvarna's just about every weekend (pic below from yesterday break) and it took almost 2 years to become proficient, as in they can't lose me and I'm not crashing, getting hurt etc. it's very difficult to ride a 340+ pound bike with a 38" seat height fast in single no matter in-seam, no matter nothing, it's hard work, but it can be done and it's fun as hell, but you'll pay the price getting there if you don't get seriously hurt doing it. Once you get it down though that bike will be awesome because in Jeep roads, sand highways and pavement that bike will light you up. It's bad ass. You'll be tearing the top off whoops and very few bikes if any will out run you.

Will I get rid of the tw, probably never. That bike lets me sneak around, investigating the unknown, relaxing and enjoying life while I do it. It's not work to ride, it's fun, it's riding off into the sunset in the dirt fun. It's great for MC camping, it's what I'd want on a desert island if there were only one bike to have.

I usually ride 2nd in this group on the 701 (mid pack in single), I'm hoping the new te300 puts me in leader slot. I hate breathing sand.

keep the tw, buy the 690!

Hey everyone,

I have read a ton on here about this awesome little bike and how it really can go anywhere the other bigger bikes go, just slower. I am 6'2" with only a 30-inch inseam (Marvin the Martian) and weigh in the region of 275. Big dude. I was really concerned about it being able to handle me but everything I read indicated it would be fine and I could just up the suspension if needed. I went to the dealership and got on one and loved how my short legs could spread out and hit the ground flat on both sides... very similar to all the road bikes I have ever had.. no real transition except sitting up straight. Drove it around a little and seemed to handle me just fine (except the clutch engagement.... just wow).

So, I get it home, go for a couple of longer trips and head into the "dirt" along some power lines. Was pretty fun and was impressed with it, but was a rough ride. The problem started when I got back on the road and it just didn't feel fast enough to even be safe for me to punch it to get out of something. I know the road isn't where this bike belongs, but its why I wanted a dual sport... fun on the road and fun off the road. This (for me) is only fun off the road.

So, I am thinking I am going to buy a KTM.. possibly even a buddies 2018 KTM 690 Enduro with 200 miles on it. He has a garage full of bikes and finds he prefers his 2 stroke off road and a street machine for road work. I haven't ridden it yet, but its basically the opposite bike to the TW.

Now, do i keep my TW200 and play in the woods with it when I feel like it, or do I sell it off to someone that is more appropriately sized and ok with the performance? My head tells me to sell it as I likely won't use it.

Did anyone else go through this crisis of identity? If you did, how did it work out... did you keep the TW as your only bike, did you buy something bigger, did you sell it? I feel pretty sad it isn't what I need it to be, and not sure if I can eventually learn to live with it. Maybe I haven't given it enough time.... someone slap me if I am being a crybaby.

Thanks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks guys!!!!

I guess I have some thinking to do. The 350 idea might be good. I went for a ride this afternoon and agree the tw200 is a fun bike. We have trails (they call them walking trails, but not much chance of that after a rain) around our entire subdivision that they have built wood bridges over some wet areas and creeks.. I didn't use the bridges. Was a lot of fun for sure... I don't think I am going to get rid of this bike. I love the idea of buying something else and keeping both and seeing what I think and love after a year. Wife won't love it, but not much makes her happy. I am taking her on a cruise and to mexico to keep her eyes on the prize.. lol.
A word of caution.. Wet wood bridges are as lethal as ice. I've met guys who needed hospital visits because of wet bridges. Wood "anything" sucks for traction. You will be on the ground before you can say "no traction???" .

·
Registered
259 Posts
I Personally am shorter but other wise similarly sized. I ended up taking the opposite direction on your journey.

I started out trail riding on a DR650 and after realizing my lack of skills decided maybe off roading wasent for me and traded it towards a TW (thanks PeterB) that be perfect to teach my sister to ride on. Well turns out sister decided she didn’t like riding. So I gave the TW a go on the trails. Fast forward at least 4 years and that same TW is still my favorite trail explorer. It pulls double duty as a very efficient commuter.

I have since bought and sold a DRZ400 as my skills have slightly improved and I wanted to try something off road with some power. But even thought that bike was immense fun it was also not a great machine for low and slow exploring I found I so enjoyed on these little TWs

The TW could never be my only bike. But I have always had a bigger bike along side it and i really makes the perfect second bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good luck with the 690! I enjoyed mine immensely. I did 4000 miles of TAT and TET on mine from my door in SFL to Western Arkansas and back. It is a tall bike but easy to pick up at its weight, especially if you weigh almost as much as the bike. When I decided to do the TAT from my doorstep to Oregon I bought a cb500x and did the full rally raid conversion. I wanted something smoother and more reliable for a solo trip. To my dismay the seat height came out at almost 35" after the conversion instead of the advertised 34. A stock 500x is only suitable for dirt and gravel roads and very smooth off road. The rally raid conversion is pretty good off road. I would say the only advantage it has over a 690 off road is the fueling and gear box. Much more controllable and a more suitable 1st thru 3rd. It is also 100 lbs heavier than a 690 which was troublesome on very tough sections and picking it up. Much more enjoyable on road though. It makes a great adventure bike.
The 690 is a monster. I found my self running 90 on some dikes in Mississippi and traveling much too fast on other sections. In retrospect I wish I had lowered the 690 a few inches and used it on the TAT, taking my chances with the reliability issues running solo.
I love the tw 200 and it is a hoot to ride. I think it would be an awesome TAT bike if one traveled light. I am considering doing the western sections again on it. I won't take anything across Oklahoma again unless it is a car or a plane, preferably the latter!! I do wish it was fuel injected though, I hate carburetors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Good luck with the 690! I enjoyed mine immensely. I did 4000 miles of TAT and TET on mine from my door in SFL to Western Arkansas and back. It is a tall bike but easy to pick up at its weight, especially if you weigh almost as much as the bike. When I decided to do the TAT from my doorstep to Oregon I bought a cb500x and did the full rally raid conversion. I wanted something smoother and more reliable for a solo trip. To my dismay the seat height came out at almost 35" after the conversion instead of the advertised 34. A stock 500x is only suitable for dirt and gravel roads and very smooth off road. The rally raid conversion is pretty good off road. I would say the only advantage it has over a 690 off road is the fueling and gear box. Much more controllable and a more suitable 1st thru 3rd. It is also 100 lbs heavier than a 690 which was troublesome on very tough sections and picking it up. Much more enjoyable on road though. It makes a great adventure bike.
The 690 is a monster. I found my self running 90 on some dikes in Mississippi and traveling much too fast on other sections. In retrospect I wish I had lowered the 690 a few inches and used it on the TAT, taking my chances with the reliability issues running solo.
I love the tw 200 and it is a hoot to ride. I think it would be an awesome TAT bike if one traveled light. I am considering doing the western sections again on it. I won't take anything across Oklahoma again unless it is a car or a plane, preferably the latter!! I do wish it was fuel injected though, I hate carburetors.
I like the simplicity of a carb... but its a pain to keep working well.

Out of curiousity, can you turn the fuel petcock to off and let the bike run out of fuel if I am not going to use it for a while? Does that keep fuel out of the carb to bung it up over time?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I'm in the "nothing that weighs more than 300lbs" club. I've helped pick-up too many bikes (owned by others) that were beautiful for riders to control and ride but too heavy for them to pick-up by themselves in muddy/sandy, dirt or gravel situations. Similar to the turtle-on-it's-back.

But that 690 is gorgeous and amazingly just 321lbs. even with all that power. Pretty incredible!!!!
Congrats & ride it safe and happily.

·
Super Moderator
5,643 Posts
I like the simplicity of a carb... but its a pain to keep working well.

Out of curiousity, can you turn the fuel petcock to off and let the bike run out of fuel if I am not going to use it for a while? Does that keep fuel out of the carb to bung it up over time?
Yep – that’s what I do over winter

There is always the possibility of the remaining fuel in the carb leaving some residue behind as it evaporates, but a quick dose of sea foam should cure that …..

21 - 40 of 55 Posts