TW200 Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Don't buy the KTM 690cc if your riding much off road. It's to frigging heavy at nearly 350lb's wet! The 450 is plenty of bike and nearly 100lb's less. I ride every day both on and off-road and am in very good shape 100lb's is just to much extra weight.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If 350 pounds is too heavy for off road, than my fat-pig klr 650 should probably never leave the pavement seeing how it comes in closer to 450 pounds. Luckily I have yet to tip it over through gravel, dirt, and mud. But there is no way I would attempt to take it on the same single track trails that I take my TW. Almost every motorcycle is great when used appropriate for their design and shortcomings.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Well, i decided.. the TW200 is in the garage, and this arrived today...

View attachment 191516

I love them both, but this 690 is a MONSTER... Rotweiller power commander, rotweller intake, new exhaust, etc etc.. only had 200 miles on it. I am in love with my underpowered and overpowered motorcycles...
Congratulations. I ride my 701 (basically a 690 but better (j/k it's always a running thing me and my buddies bustin each other about what's better) with small bikes in single track and jeep roads every week almost... Easy Peasy.. Don't let the naysayers scare you:

Sure I have a TE300i but I'm not getting rid of the beast.. Feels like I'm riding the Dakar on that. :)

My bikes in the middle.. The big one LOL... get your 690 in the woods you'll love it.

BikesWawa.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Good luck with the 690! I enjoyed mine immensely. I did 4000 miles of TAT and TET on mine from my door in SFL to Western Arkansas and back. It is a tall bike but easy to pick up at its weight, especially if you weigh almost as much as the bike. When I decided to do the TAT from my doorstep to Oregon I bought a cb500x and did the full rally raid conversion. I wanted something smoother and more reliable for a solo trip. To my dismay the seat height came out at almost 35" after the conversion instead of the advertised 34. A stock 500x is only suitable for dirt and gravel roads and very smooth off road. The rally raid conversion is pretty good off road. I would say the only advantage it has over a 690 off road is the fueling and gear box. Much more controllable and a more suitable 1st thru 3rd. It is also 100 lbs heavier than a 690 which was troublesome on very tough sections and picking it up. Much more enjoyable on road though. It makes a great adventure bike.
The 690 is a monster. I found my self running 90 on some dikes in Mississippi and traveling much too fast on other sections. In retrospect I wish I had lowered the 690 a few inches and used it on the TAT, taking my chances with the reliability issues running solo.
I love the tw 200 and it is a hoot to ride. I think it would be an awesome TAT bike if one traveled light. I am considering doing the western sections again on it. I won't take anything across Oklahoma again unless it is a car or a plane, preferably the latter!! I do wish it was fuel injected though, I hate carburetors.

The only reliability issue I've heard of is the clutch slave cylinder affecting all KTM and HSQ that used the earlier release. What issue have you heard of? I've had none and I beat the crap out of mine. I replaced the slave and would do a preemptive if you could tell me what you've heard. I have an HSQ701, maybe it's just the KTM690?

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Don't buy the KTM 690cc if your riding much off road. It's to frigging heavy at nearly 350lb's wet! The 450 is plenty of bike and nearly 100lb's less. I ride every day both on and off-road and am in very good shape 100lb's is just to much extra weight.
My 690 I have is about 10 lbs lighter than stock and the 450 is 50 lbs lighter. I dont plan on getting rid of the tw200, so i should have the best of both worlds...right? I am sure its not a single track monster, but i love it so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Congratulations. I ride my 701 (basically a 690 but better (j/k it's always a running thing me and my buddies bustin each other about what's better) with small bikes in single track and jeep roads every week almost... Easy Peasy.. Don't let the naysayers scare you:

Sure I have a TE300i but I'm not getting rid of the beast.. Feels like I'm riding the Dakar on that. :)

My bikes in the middle.. The big one LOL... get your 690 in the woods you'll love it.

View attachment 191560
Thanks man...looking forward to fire roads and double track riding...

·
Registered
330 Posts
I like the simplicity of a carb... but its a pain to keep working well.

Out of curiousity, can you turn the fuel petcock to off and let the bike run out of fuel if I am not going to use it for a while? Does that keep fuel out of the carb to bung it up over time?
This is exactly what I do. I treat all my small engine fuel with PRI fuel stabilizer, then close the fuel valve, idle it until it stalls. Battery gets taken out too, and I charge it every couple months. Never lost a motorcycle battery this way.

But never do the closed fuel petcock trick on a 2 stroke. After a couple minutes, when it finally runs low in the carb bowl, it makes the fuel mixture lean, and man it will run away screaming like it's wide open throttle! Just drain the carb bowl with the carb drain for a 2 stroke. It's too bad I don't have some video of this. Hilarious. And the kill switch does NOTHING!

Reactions: JerseyJeeper

·
Registered
32 Posts
Having a husky you probably did not spend a lot of time on 690 forums. One issue was fuel injector clogging from the original fuel cap design allowing dirt in. Easily resolved with a CJ gas cap and adding a inline fuel filter such as a rally raid. Some of the early fuel maps were not the best which again was easily rectified by a new map from the dealer. Some of the initial fuel pumps had a short half life also. The scary problem was the rocker arms. For years there was no solution but to carry extra rocker arms and hope the pieces didn't get lost in the engine when they imploded. You could put in a newer set that had the bearings staked in better but it wasn't a guarantee. If you ride close to home, not a big deal. If you are going long distances far from help it becomes a concern. Fortunately they are easy enough to replace. If you want to google 690 rocker arms you will learn more than you ever wanted to know. The 701 had a different top end design, using the motor from the later dukes. I believe they didn't put that design into the 690's until this year, but I haven't stayed up to speed on them for several years.Were these everyday occurrences? No. But they were frequent enough to bother me. If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck! With my luck they would fail on a high rookie pass, the desert 100 miles from a town or in grizzly country! Maybe it was less of a problem on the models in the last 3-4 years. The 690/701 are by far the best performing stock bike in their class, lighter than everything, better stock suspension than anything and an insane power to weight ratio. My 2008 was pushing 66/67 hp with a remap, exhaust and and an air filter mod. Insane power from a 649cc thumper. Even more insane now with the displacement, fueling and valve train improvements. Yeah, I loved that bike but it is too tempting. Instant Hooliganism!

As far as FI vs Carb, I have over 150,000 miles on FI bikes on and off road with out even a hiccup. I can't say that about carbed bikes. The TW is my first one in a while. I bought it used so I was anticipating rebuilding the carb just to start off on an even keel, and yes indeed, it does need it. I will withhold real judgement until I start off with a fresh rebuild. I really need to go over it thoroughly so I can enjoy it with peace of mind.

·
Registered
14,038 Posts
Some of the initial fuel pumps had a short half life also.

As far as FI vs Carb, I have over 150,000 miles on FI bikes on and off road with out even a hiccup. I can't say that about carbed bikes.
You mentioned the first statement and then the second. Fuel pump going bad out on the trail is something which would always be a concern but I guess so is getting a flat tire eh? A carbed motorcycle with all its flaws, I've never been stranded because of the carb. Getting it started after sitting all winter, yup, that's been an issue from time to time.

I've never owned a FI motorcycle. I have had the fuel pumps go bad in a couple cars and a pickup truck. Thankfully, there were signs the pumps were about to abandon me so I got them fixed before I was stranded on some dark urban street late at night.:p

Reactions: elime

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
No I haven't spent any time on the 690 forums. I probably should. Mines a 2017 701 so most of the older issues seem to have worked out. I follow the 701 thread on ADV. I agree on the gas cap and carry the little filter with me. I have the CJ cap but haven't mounted it yet. Just last ride that damn OEM cap let dirt drop in there.

Thanks for the Info! :)

Having a husky you probably did not spend a lot of time on 690 forums. One issue was fuel injector clogging from the original fuel cap design allowing dirt in. Easily resolved with a CJ gas cap and adding a inline fuel filter such as a rally raid. Some of the early fuel maps were not the best which again was easily rectified by a new map from the dealer. Some of the initial fuel pumps had a short half life also. The scary problem was the rocker arms. For years there was no solution but to carry extra rocker arms and hope the pieces didn't get lost in the engine when they imploded. You could put in a newer set that had the bearings staked in better but it wasn't a guarantee. If you ride close to home, not a big deal. If you are going long distances far from help it becomes a concern. Fortunately they are easy enough to replace. If you want to google 690 rocker arms you will learn more than you ever wanted to know. The 701 had a different top end design, using the motor from the later dukes. I believe they didn't put that design into the 690's until this year, but I haven't stayed up to speed on them for several years.Were these everyday occurrences? No. But they were frequent enough to bother me. If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck! With my luck they would fail on a high rookie pass, the desert 100 miles from a town or in grizzly country! Maybe it was less of a problem on the models in the last 3-4 years. The 690/701 are by far the best performing stock bike in their class, lighter than everything, better stock suspension than anything and an insane power to weight ratio. My 2008 was pushing 66/67 hp with a remap, exhaust and and an air filter mod. Insane power from a 649cc thumper. Even more insane now with the displacement, fueling and valve train improvements. Yeah, I loved that bike but it is too tempting. Instant Hooliganism!

As far as FI vs Carb, I have over 150,000 miles on FI bikes on and off road with out even a hiccup. I can't say that about carbed bikes. The TW is my first one in a while. I bought it used so I was anticipating rebuilding the carb just to start off on an even keel, and yes indeed, it does need it. I will withhold real judgement until I start off with a fresh rebuild. I really need to go over it thoroughly so I can enjoy it with peace of mind.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You mentioned the first statement and then the second. Fuel pump going bad out on the trail is something which would always be a concern but I guess so is getting a flat tire eh? A carbed motorcycle with all its flaws, I've never been stranded because of the carb. Getting it started after sitting all winter, yup, that's been an issue from time to time.

I've never owned a FI motorcycle. I have had the fuel pumps go bad in a couple cars and a pickup truck. Thankfully, there were signs the pumps were about to abandon me so I got them fixed before I was stranded on some dark urban street late at night.:p
It takes about 5 minutes to change out a fuel pump on these if you have never done one before. Its not been a problem since the first batch. I have owned a dozen carbed bikes. I like my bikes to start instantly and ride right away regardless of weather, temperature, elevation etc. Nothing with a carburetor is 100% dependable and reliable all the time. Like I said, over 150k on FI bikes and not even a hiccup.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No I haven't spent any time on the 690 forums. I probably should. Mines a 2017 701 so most of the older issues seem to have worked out. I follow the 701 thread on ADV. I agree on the gas cap and carry the little filter with me. I have the CJ cap but haven't mounted it yet. Just last ride that damn OEM cap let dirt drop in there.

Thanks for the Info! :)

As I said the 701 has always come with the later duke motor, completely different valve train and extra balancers. They never put it into the 690 until recently.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
As I said the 701 has always come with the later duke motor, completely different valve train and extra balancers. They never put it into the 690 until recently.
My understanding is the 19 690 Enduro is now the same engine as the 701... I am sure I will not be for wanting much with my new one.. and when I get to the point where I might notice the diffence, I will likely be ready for the next bike.

·
Banned
1 Posts
I think we all underestimate mental healthiness. I mean, when we feel sick or something hurts, we go to the doctor, but when we are stressed all the time, when we feel nervous, or even depressed we do not go to the doctor while mental illness is even worse than a physical one.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Pre-conceived notions are perfectly normal, just sometimes the reality belies our former bias.
For example I've been a loyal TW rider in denial about open class bikes abilities on technical trails for many a year.
Well one summer night while deep in some of the rockier more challenging single tracks I met an Argentinean astride a KTM 450 thumper. We rode together for a bit & he was surprised at how hard I could push the TW. He insisted we swap bikes for a bit so I could get the KTM experience and he could sample a TW.
Dark & technical, I figured I would dump that beast or not be able to put a foot down when needed...well I just sailed along and stayed up on the pegs playing with the low-end power and letting the superb suspension soak up what was intimidating on the TW. Once we hit a wider jeep road I took off quickly adapting to a much different ride experience.
While stupid perhaps to push an unfamiliar bike off-road at night the KTM treated my well for 5 miles or so until I figured I better swap back before I exceeded the envelope of my or bike's ability. His killer bright LED floodlight sure helped, actually a bit better than my lighting combination shown below.

So I think we can have fun on darn near any bike from a CT110 to a big adventure bike, all are good for mental health.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts