6,406 Posts
Merry Christmas Cro!

Tom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
746 Posts
Merry Christmas!

This is one of my favorite Christmas songs, and that young girl sings it beautifully. I'm glad she (or more likely, her singing coach) has enough self-respect to sing it properly, in the classical way. This song deserves that.
Too many popular singers do not have that self-respect and they end up ruining it, for me at least. The country singers want to "twang" it up, and you know what the rest do. A prime example is Mariah Carey. She is a beautiful lady and has a beautiful voice, but she doesn't have enough respect for either the song or herself, IMHO, to do it properly. Or maybe she is just not good enough?

I do have to give kudos to Carrie Underwood. She actually sings this song properly. She sings it reasonably well, too. Not awesomely, but well. Jackie Evancho definitely sings it better than Carrie, though.

About 17 years ago I went to the Christmas special at Dixie Stampede; a dinner show in Pigeon Forge, TN. There I saw/heard a young (mid-20s) woman sing this song in a way that sent shivers up my spine and brought tears to my eyes. She sung it perfectly, in the classical way, and had a very, very strong voice. The high note, especially, was incredible. I have no idea who she was, but I wish I did. I have tried ever since to find a performance as good as that one. So far, nada.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
We agree, Wecsog, about the traditional style of singing that song. I suspect you feel the same about the singers at the football games and their renditions of the Star Spangled Banner......lol, is that the song they sing??? Just listen to the Voice sometime. They can't seem to sing anything without F---ing it up. But then, I'm old and out of style.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Merry Christmas!

This is one of my favorite Christmas songs, and that young girl sings it beautifully. I'm glad she (or more likely, her singing coach) has enough self-respect to sing it properly, in the classical way. This song deserves that.
Too many popular singers do not have that self-respect and they end up ruining it, for me at least. The country singers want to "twang" it up, and you know what the rest do. A prime example is Mariah Carey. She is a beautiful lady and has a beautiful voice, but she doesn't have enough respect for either the song or herself, IMHO, to do it properly. Or maybe she is just not good enough?

I do have to give kudos to Carrie Underwood. She actually sings this song properly. She sings it reasonably well, too. Not awesomely, but well. Jackie Evancho definitely sings it better than Carrie, though.

About 17 years ago I went to the Christmas special at Dixie Stampede; a dinner show in Pigeon Forge, TN. There I saw/heard a young (mid-20s) woman sing this song in a way that sent shivers up my spine and brought tears to my eyes. She sung it perfectly, in the classical way, and had a very, very strong voice. The high note, especially, was incredible. I have no idea who she was, but I wish I did. I have tried ever since to find a performance as good as that one. So far, nada.
We agree, Wecsog, about the traditional style of singing that song. I suspect you feel the same about the singers at the football games and their renditions of the Star Spangled Banner......lol, is that the song they sing??? Just listen to the Voice sometime. They can't seem to sing anything without F---ing it up. But then, I'm old and out of style.
Well, for heaven's sake don't click on my thread "Home Free" :D

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yes, the football game singers too.
No thanks on listening to The Voice, though. I studiously avoid shows like that. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts