TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I put on a new sprocket and chain and did not install the sprocket correct. I only drive it a couple of miles and took the cover off for a different reason and noticed this. image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
what is the picture trying to confer? I see nothing wrong.

Tom

·
Registered
385 Posts
Is the keeper plate damaged? That's supposed to keep the sproket in place, although not in an exact position. Not a good situation. If the plate isn't damaged, could the small bolts have sheared off? I know the plate and sprocket have to stay together or the sprocket will 'wander'.

What part of the Twin Cities are you in?

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
The sprocket has to go all the way on the shaft. The lock ring must push on far enough so the tabs on it reach the grove where it will turn and lock the sprocket in place. When the sprocket is fully seated and the lock ring tabs are in the grove you can only get the screws lined up if the ring locks the sprocket in the correct position. I have no idea how you ever got the screws lined up in the sprocket holes without the lock ring being in the grove but it sure does look like that is what happened.

GaryL

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the keeper plate damaged? That's supposed to keep the sproket in place, although not in an exact position. Not a good situation. If the plate isn't damaged, could the small bolts have sheared off? I know the plate and sprocket have to stay together or the sprocket will 'wander'.

What part of the Twin Cities are you in?
Spring Lake Park

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
It looks like the sprocket wasn't on far enough when you installed the keeper plate. The keeper plate goes in a small groove then you twist it to align the bolt holes. I bet the sprocket wandered outward and rubbed up against the seal and the keeper that holds the seal in place. For sure you need two new bolts to hold the keeper to the sprocket, and a new outer seal, and probably a new keeper plate that holds the outer seal in place.

Post a picture of the inside of the left side cover -- the part where the output shaft goes into the left side cover. I bet it is chewed up.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The keeper plate should go on the shaft then rotate part way in the groove machined into the shaft. Once it is rotated in the groove it should be able to be bolted to the sprocket holding the sprocket in place on the shaft. If the keeper or the shaft is worn enough to allow for the sprocket to move too much on the shaft, something needs to be addressed. You may be able to cut a groove in the damaged bolt heads and use a screwdriver to remove them. Also, be sure to make sure it did not damage the output shaft bearing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the sprocket off I see what I did wrong. Going to the hardware store for new bolts, hopefully the have ones that match.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
The Keeper is a locking ring that has inside tabs that slide on to the shaft in one position along the cut splines. When those tabs reach the grove in the shaft the lock ring then turns and mis aligns the lock ring so it and the sprocket can't slide back and forth along the shaft. You did not have the sprocket or the lock ring in the right position. You must replace the side cover outer bearing cover and both of the bolts that hold the lock ring to the sprocket.

I still can't figure out how you were able to align the lock ring to the holes in the sprocket in the wrong position. The splines on the shaft should not allow this to occurr because of the offset of the bolt holes but I don't have a TW handy to see how this happened.

If this was my bike and all those metal filings got in there I would absolutely replace the outer bearing and seal when I replace the bearing cover/holder and the locking ring bolts. This does not appear to be a catastrophic mistake but it sure could have been. Your front sprocket and the entire chain path was way out of alignment for a short time, long enough to grind the bolt heads off. This could easily have gone unnoticed for a longer time and destroyed your sprockets, chain and the entire side cover. Possibly even the output shaft and the internal engine parts riding on it. You should be able to see some unnatural side wear on both of your sprockets teeth caused by running out of alignment. Inspect your chain very close to make sure you did not damage the inside of the plates between each pin. If your chain had been loose enough you probably would have jumped it off the sprockets.

GaryL

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thankfully I only went a couple of miles riding like that. Put all new seals in including the shift shaft seal. Now putting the cover on where is this wire suppose to be? image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
It goes under the gasket I figured out hopefully.
Not sure what wire that is. There is a wire from the stator that goes up to the battery area. Very important you do not pinch it. On the engines rear there is a split just above the front sprocket. That wire slides in there when you put the side cover back on. It then follows up the frame tube along the air box and over to the connectors by the battery. There should have been a rubber grommet on that wire where it comes out of the stator case and into the sprocket house.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts