TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For comparison, I used my driveway as the baseline.

1. Last winter handlebar mount. Beside video shaking, also had issues with sounds from the dash, which is why I use music most of the time to cover up the harsh sound.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hgV5AwPbK4[/media]

2. Last week from the helmet mount. Still had sound issues, but now it was wind noise. My fix, Mr. Mitten. I tried different materials to cover up the mic without success. Using my highly technical critical thinking skills, I put a cloth mitten over the camera, cutting out a hole for the lens, and with the open part of the mitten on top so I have access to the camera on/off controls. And if I though the camera mount wasn't silly looking before the mitten...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zhmj_jMxqU[/media]

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3. Youtube added a video stabilization feature. Here's the same video as #2, stabilized. Thoughts?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fqFKITaXlc[/media]

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The second stabilized video certainly has less up and Down motion, but it was not as continuous, had some slight pauses when I watched it.

Is that how far you have to go, 5 miles out and back, to get your mail? Gives you a good reason to ride every day. And you've got to watch out for those rocks on the sides of the corners so you don't slide out. Nice open country, good dirt roads for the TW.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The second stabilized video certainly has less up and Down motion, but it was not as continuous, had some slight pauses when I watched it.

Is that how far you have to go, 5 miles out and back, to get your mail?

I noticed some quirks with the stabilized view as well. Sometimes it looks like the video is searching for the best view. Also feels like the TW is floating. Bumping in the originals give you the feeling like your riding along rather than floating. I see a similar views with the folks who use the gopro camera's, but their distortion isn't as bad overall. Doesn't have the slight pauses as the youtubes stabilization.

Oh, and not quite 5 miles round trip to the mailbox, more like 1 1/2, but you are correct, gives me an excuse to ride the TW! Though I should walk more and get some exercise!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The YouTube stabilization does seem to work... kinda. It has a "floaty" kind of feel, (sort of like how the ride might look after a few beers.
) I'm not sure I like it.

I've been trying to figure out why the GoPro videos look so stable and I don't think it's in-camera stabilization so much as that they have extremely wide angle lenses, which will lessen the apparently camera motion. Be sure your video camera is in "full-wide" zoom for best results.

I'm trying to figure out a way to mount and shoot with my little Sony point-and-shoot, which has stabilization and also HD-video. Mounting on the bike seems to cause way more issues in vibration reduction. A helmet mount would seem the better option given what I see with your results. I wonder if I could find a really strong suction cup that would attach to my helmet (so as not to have to drill holes in it). A "safety leash" would also be a good idea so that if the suction cup let go I wouldn't get that "last shot" of the camera diving under the wheels.

I see GoPro has a suction cup mount for their cameras, but I'd need something a little stronger and a "home brew" solution is bound to cost way less.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I noticed some quirks with the stabilized view as well. Sometimes it looks like the video is searching for the best view. Also feels like the TW is floating. Bumping in the originals give you the feeling like your riding along rather than floating. I see a similar views with the folks who use the gopro camera's, but their distortion isn't as bad overall. Doesn't have the slight pauses as the youtubes stabilization.

Oh, and not quite 5 miles round trip to the mailbox, more like 1 1/2, but you are correct, gives me an excuse to ride the TW! Though I should walk more and get some exercise!

On most cameras simply putting a piece of scotch tape over the mic while riding does quite well. You'll still get some wind noise.

My V-Max video

http://youtu.be/XGIf6ZcmtNQ

My SV650 Video

http://youtu.be/a55q2lvBV1o

Have a short video of the TW, but haven't got to the "on bike" portion yet... I've been meaning to, just too many other things to be done.

E

·
Registered
548 Posts
I like the first, after all that is what the TW is really like. That is a great piece of land you have there, room to stretch out and not hit the next house over. I watched some mountain bike video the other day that a friend took with her new Go Pro Hero cam. She uses a chest mount and it was very stabale view even on the roughest parts of the trail. The chest mount gives you a shot of the hands/arms on the handle bars so its more like watching a video game.... kinda cool. Loved the mitten on the camera trick, except one hand is gonna be cold this winter! Thanks for the videos, just love watching TW's in action....now start jumping the bike over them horses....yee haw.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She uses a chest mount and it was very stabale view even on the roughest parts of the trail. The chest mount gives you a shot of the hands/arms on the handle bars so its more like watching a video game.... kinda cool.

Forgot about a chest mount. I'll have consider a setup. Last year Busyweb and Mrgizmow did some video experimentation with a chest mount I think. Might be the way to go. Now I'll go search last years posts and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the reminder.

So far I prefer the helmet mount over the handlebar mount even though I look silly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I try to find a video of a motorcycle to watch to try to get the "feel" of the bike, I hate it when they have music. Sorry, but I always want to hear the machine. I don't like it when the wind gets so loud that it drowns out the sounds of the bike. I prefer to see a bit of the bike in the videos myself. Like the speedo/tach and some of the handlebars, and even the controls (clutch throttle etc). So to me, your second video in your first post was pretty good. The sound was fine and I can hear the bike talking to me. I would have liked to see the bars and controls also, but I liked it. The wind noise wasn't bad at all.

Jon

(I'm an opinionated old geezer--but you asked)

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm with you Jon. I only put music with them to cover up the wind noise. Normally, I want to only hear the motor too, but I can go with some light background music, especially if it's a long video. I think I may have the wind noise solved.

As I test the chest mount that I have yet to develop, I hope to get some dash and handlebar. And perhaps with the camera mounted next to the body, the sound will be protected too.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate the comments.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The chest mount sounds like a good idea. You wouldn't have to try to operate the camera by "feel", which is one of the problems I see with the helmet mount. Some kind of harness or modified suspenders maybe. Kinda like this --

Mount the camera on the cross piece between the suspenders. Hat and Lederhosen are optional.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think it would be cool if you mounted your camera on your dog's head while he is riding with you. We could get a dog's perspective from the back of the TW and see what interests him?? Just a thought!

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it would be cool if you mounted your camera on your dog's head while he is riding with you. We could get a dog's perspective from the back of the TW and see what interests him?? Just a thought!

Verrrry interesting. It's quite early in the morning and I'm not yet sipped the coffee, but you got the gears in me head rolling early! "The Georgie Cam".

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here is an example of a TW200 youtube video that I liked enough to make it a "favorite" on my youtube site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ2IXpW8CHQ

He's using a bit of a wide angle camera there, but the experience of riding the bike comes through I think (including the lane spliting).

Here's another I likeb but using a more normal lens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN10yqCzNu4

Sorry, both are street rides, but I think these types of videos really convey what riding a TW200 feels like. They also helped get me to do more research on the TW to find out if it's the next bike for me.

Seeing a video of a motorcycle going down the road with the camera as rider, but not hearing the bike, does nothing for me.

Jon

·
Registered
45 Posts
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8d92MhciSs[/media]

I was unable to find a mount I liked to place the camera center of the bars so I hammered this together.

Hope I haven't posted in the wrong area....

·
Registered
2,431 Posts

I was unable to find a mount I liked to place the camera center of the bars so I hammered this together.

That's pretty cool, bring it along next time we hit the trail, I might get you to hammer one out for me

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I've been trying to figure out why the GoPro videos look so stable and I don't think it's in-camera stabilization so much as that they have extremely wide angle lenses, which will lessen the apparently camera motion....

The GoPro shoots at nearly twice the fps of most cameras. Less of a time gap between frames during the jiggles makes them less apparent.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

That looks like a really decent sturdy mount. Now you'll have to show us some action video. I'm interested to see how a good camera like the Go-pro performs on a handlebar mount.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That looks like a really decent sturdy mount. Now you'll have to show us some action video. I'm interested to see how a good camera like the Go-pro performs on a handlebar mount.

Hi Kris;

Are you really up at this hour? I thought I might be the only one who rises at this time of day. I purchased a Kodak Zi10 camera a couple of days ago and was checking online for ways to protect it while riding. I found an outfit by the name of "Neewer" that makes a transparent water proof/dust proof plastic envelop devise that looks like it may work. When it arrives, I intend to rig up a chest mount systen like you wear.

On another note, I may have another ride in the works with Larry. He thinks he may have the crops in the ground early this week so we are looking at Thursday or Friday for the next adventure. Give me a call and we can talk about cameras, mounts and adventures.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

1 - 20 of 22 Posts