1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,963 Posts
Ask Mel.

·
Super Moderator
17,963 Posts
Fred might have some info also, although not really sure on that. I know he has a tractor.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Littletommy is right. I have a lot of experience with them. My guess is your 3 point will not stay up when you lift something? Use the forum (someone else might like to hear the discussion), or PM me.
Mel

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I have a Red Belly that's been in the family longer than I have. Son just finished a ground-up restoration. Be happy to pass a question on to him.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, busy raking hay... I have both an 8n and 860 that had set for some time...drained and replaced hydraulic fluid...no filters on either tractor...arms go up and down fine but stutter real bad and very slow when the outside temp gets around 40...Just wondering if some of the orifices are partially plugged?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have to asked, if the tractors sat outside, are the rubber boots on the gear shift levers good? If they are not, it will allow rain water to run down the shift lever and into the transmission/differential housing. The 8n hydraulic pump draws from the bottom of that housing, thus drawing the water oil mixture into the system. I would suggest thinning the oil with diesel fuel, and cycling the lift arms many times to help flush the system. The other common problem on these tractors, is the combination pressure relief/check valve on the pump fails. There are no orifices in those systems. Is it only jerky going up? Going down? Both?
Mel

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Smooth down...jerky up...when I drained them there was some water in the hydraulic fluid...but not a ton...ironically in the one that was inside...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Smooth going down indicates there is no air in the system as it lifts. I would say again, thin the oil, cycle, cycle, cycle. You have some valves sticking in the pump is my best guess, without more information.
Mel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts