TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Ongoing federally funded predator control is still an active expense of taxpayer dollars, although I had hoped the cyanide poison methods had been phased out. I guess Wildlife Services had assumed the dog and the boy would have read the warnings and taken appropriate precautions. 0dcb4ca2d271c7ba62fee537a4c4f8ca-2.jpg

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
On the news they talked about keeping your dogs on a leash and stay on trails yourself in the Boise foothill trails, because they set out traps (off-trail) due to the number of coyotes city bound from all the weather in the hills.

But this is not just ridiculous, it's deadly. If I knew that someone died from this; I would never go into any of their offices where anyone opens mail.

·
Registered
715 Posts
A few years ago, MN had a legal wolf hunting season (lottery) because there were too many in northern MN. I believe it coincided with deer hunting season so deer hunters could take them.

That lasted one season before the snowflakes popped a tit and the government caved - banned all wolf hunting even though the population is growing and too high.

2016 MN wolf numbers: 2,278 wolves in 439 wolf packs (if you trust the government can count properly...which they can't).

The less predators in the woods, the better.

Anyone is permitted to take a grey wolf in MN if human lives are in danger:

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Just f'n great. Now all the terrorist have to do is go around and collect the government supplied free to take and use as you like cyananide bombs.

·
Registered
326 Posts
"Thursday's incident marked the first "unintentional lethal take of a dog" by an M-44 in Idaho since 2014, and Wildlife Services seeks to minimize hazards to pets and humans by posting warnings"

This sentence makes it seem like it never happens. And it's poorly written to make it seem like it never happens or only happened once a long time ago.
But less than three years ago an M-44 killed another dog in Idaho.

Warnings are nice but how many do you need to properly mark a property or area?

·
Registered
85 Posts
If the "nature supporting community" were truly educated, they would know controlled hunting of certain species as based on population of those species and how the population can be supported through habitat, they would understand it is the best and safest means of true stewardship of that natural resource, but most people who claim to be naturalists are misguided or misinformed. If we just let all species run wild, some species will cease to exist. My Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth say that we are to be stewards of this earth. However it is my opinion, and only that, that a cyanide bomb is absolutely irresponsible.
Thank you for allowing me to provide this public service announcement. :)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
If you think that is irresponsible you should have seen what was used in the 50s and 60s.
A small flat pate with a one inch gun barrel that shot up through the meat bait into the animals face.
BTW, it was loaded with a cyanide bullet. Any animal even just grazed by the bullet died within seconds.
That included pets and children. I don't remember any children getting hit but when enough pets got hit they were outlawed.
I had an antique one made in the 1860s that shot a black wider bullet horizontally at a piece of bait on a long trigger in front of it.
To me it was a collectors item. I fired it a few times to show that it actually worked.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
If any one of us " booby trapped" any place or part of even our own property we would never see the light of day again so it is hard to believe anybody thought this was a good idea. I think I'm more afraid of the cyanide than the shotshell

On a side not my machinist buddy made a 12 gauge mole trap along these lines until I explained he was making a short barreled shotgun and if the atf ever caught wind of it he's probably get 5 years for a first offense. he asked how would they catch me and I said when that things goes off at 11am when hes at work and the neighbor calls 911 thats how lol

heaven forbid if a pet or a kid found the device there would be hell to pay

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yeah, lots of pretty irresponsible indiscriminate stuff (poisons and explosives), were used in the past, i just assumed that kinda stuff had fallen into disfavor or atleast not used around populated areas. Interesting to know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts