TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are all saddened to learn of the passing of Ron Ayres. Ron was a long time contributor to the Iron Butt Magazine. He was the author of "Against the Wind" and "Against the Clock". Two great books about his Iron Butt Rally ride and his record breaking 48 state ride. Ron was a true mentor to the long distance riding community and responsible for bringing so many to the sport. He was also the owner of Ayres Adventures, an International touring company. He passed after a long battle with cancer.
Rest in Peace Ron, you will be missed.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Was Ron involved with the motorcycle parts vendor, RonAyers.com?

That's where I usually purchase my oem parts.

jb

·
Registered
187 Posts
No, jb, completely different Ron Ayres.

The Ron Ayres I know, used to work for H. Ross Perot, and made his money working for that company. He retired early, after accumulating a large bank account, and decided to open his own motorcycle adventure touring company. Currently, his company hosts adventure tours on 6 of the 7 continents.
Spent some time on the clock at HRP myself. I think I may have met your Ron Ayers.

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
I am very saddened to hear this. I knew Ron Ayres personally...have eaten dinners at his house, spent the night at his house, and did rides with him. He even mentioned me in his books, about plowing the roads for him during his 49 state ride. It was a 49 state...not a 48 state ride. He went on to include Alaska in that ride.

I did not know that Ron had cancer. I will have to send a letter to Barbara, his wife.

Very sad day for the IronButt Association. :(
Sorry about your friend Mike.

Reactions: TWilight
1 - 5 of 5 Posts