TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock Cali tw carb is ridiculous

At 45 degrees it was still on the enricher after 10 minutes

So looking around there was a few listings for very old conventional mikuni 30mm carbs

and they were cheap like 28 to 40 dollars.

I am trying to rejet the teikei as per the forum

130 main 34 pilot Note over yesterday stadium web would not work

so emailed them and will see when they are up.

Thanks qwerty

But a whole new slightly bigger carb not jetted for the EPA

sounded pretty tempting and you can buy any internal part

jets jet setter etc.

·
Registered
614 Posts
A 30mm Mikuni is too big for a standard TW.

You must have a problem with your standard carb beyond the normal slightly lean factory setting.

Go through the carb cleaning and setting posted on the forum thoroughly and you will see a great improvement without any big expense or head scratching finding base settings and final tuning of a different carb, not to mention fitting it up properly.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Tdub will cold start with no enrichment at 45*F, but will need some finesse with the throttle to bring her to a fast idle. She will ride off with near-normal throttle response after a long enough warm-up to don helmet and gloves. Something is wrong with your carb. I would expect a fuel circuit obstruction, probably pilot circuit.

There is a lot more wrong with the thinking of amatuer mechanics than there is with any carb Yamaha ever bolted on a TW.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well

When ever I think of C.A.R.B. in California

I have no confidence in what jets etc. would be in anything

The parts diagram shows little difference

Yes when I get the jets to put in she will get

a thorough going over and yes I suspect that the tiny passages have some kind

of mung in it. Especially since she was sitting for a while

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I agree its your carb that needs cleaning. Mine didn't want to start easily every time while riding Forresthill OHV (4,000 feet?) with friends sunday. I know the bike has been sitting for long periods of time before I bought it so gonna give it a carb clean out since won't be riding it for a few weekends. I am going to change main jet to one size bigger cuz I've heard/read they run them just a tad lean. Other then the hard starting issue bike climbed hills fine and I loved the 75 degree sunny day!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to get the jets

I guess that the airscrew adjustment will have the best change

I will do the pilot air jet and add a hardware store fuel filter

My DRZ400S was misserable until I went 1 size bigger

Tomorrow I will chase after some Yamaha place for the jets

If yours is a toy not a commuter I wouls recommend

Always leave her filled

Add Stabil

Add Seafoam

If anticipating 1 month sleep+

Drain or run her out of gas in the carb

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
i have no problem with fuel preservatives in gasoline--treated gasoline will keep for years. Gasohol will not, no matter what treatment is used. I'd drain the tank and spray it with fogging oil, which keeps the tank from rusting. Then run the carb and fuel lines dry.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
My standard rant:

There is NO (none, zip, nada, zero, zilch) difference between a Cali carb and a 49-state carb other than RICHER jetting and the fitting for the canister.

While we're at it, the canister has NO (none, zip, nada, zero, zilch) effect on performance and causes NO (zero, zip, nada, zilch) service problems. It also has NOTHING (zero, zip, nada, zilch) to do with carb function. It's a tank vent.

Non-issues, unless you've spent way too much time on ADVrider.

Rant over til next time someone blames their Cali carb for the Lincoln assassination....

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have ordered the jets from Bikebandit.com over the phone

Could NOT get anywhere on Stadium Yamaha, site crashed, did not answer etc.

Thanks for the part numbers they went right through

Yes, I have fear of anything ECO related, I was shoveling this last Saturday

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
My standard rant:

There is NO (none, zip, nada, zero, zilch) difference between a Cali carb and a 49-state carb other than RICHER jetting and the fitting for the canister.

While we're at it, the canister has NO (none, zip, nada, zero, zilch) effect on performance and causes NO (zero, zip, nada, zilch) service problems. It also has NOTHING (zero, zip, nada, zilch) to do with carb function. It's a tank vent.

Rant over til next time someone blames their Cali carb for the Lincoln assassination....
*snerk* Bless you, child.

The canister system runs the carb vent to a bunch of ground up charcoal, which soaks up fuel foumes. When the engine runs, the vent is designed to creat a slight low pressure area in the can which draws the fumes out of the charcoal and into the intake tract. This "vacuum leak" is too small to make any difference in the way the engine runs, and even if it did, the leak is consistent and controlled, so easily tuned for, which is why Cali carbs are jetted richer. The vapor recovery system is a good thing because it filters vent air going into the carb, a feature most 49-state bikes lack, which is why there is a fuel filter stuck on the end of Tdub's vent hose.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are sworn enemies of the Galactic Alliance

All their devil devices must be sanctified by anointing them with pure Texas crude and then burned at

the stake. The black beer can replaced with NOS can.

·
Registered
168 Posts
id check you petcock and needle seat before you rejet commom places for crud to build up and wreak havok

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
My standard rant:

EASY ON THE COFFEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Flatdog

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
If it wasn't for coffee I'd have no personality at all.

While I'm self-medicating, be careful buying those old-school Mikunis. They're simple and they work fine, but depending upon how old-school you go some of those older round slides can be twice the physical size of our little TK for the same size venturi. Many of them won't fit into the allotted space.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all

Just hit something and the entire paragraph vanished

130 main, 34 pilot, 1 washer under needle,airscrew 2 1/4 turns

Needed enrichener to start but off in a minute so she close to right

1/2 throttle she walked up a steep bank no more cough weeze sputter stumble then go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts