TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Having installed a FCR pumper carb on my xr650l before .... I know the benefits and power delivery feel that a pumper carb can provide. It was a "night & day" conversion on the xr650l.

So a few quick questions?

- where did you source the carb?
- what size jetting are you using?
- are u using the stock intake boot?
- what about the air filter/box side?

Great work and it should be a amazing upgrade.

Cheers,
Ian

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Mikuni TMR28. Movie is one minute, I thought maybe someone can enjoy this sounds. Have a nice day.

So many questions :)

I've been trying to find one of those for a reasonable price. Were you able to get a boot hooked back to the factory air box. I believe that carb may have been designed for a funnel on the intake side. What does the intake flange measure in mm?

Were you able to get the float bowl "level" enough when mounting to the factory intake to set the float correctly? Some pics would be great!

Webike has the red anodized one but at over $600.00 plus shipping no thanks.

Is it this exact one that you have:
tmr28.jpg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for interest more than sound:). My answer for most of questions are "That's I'm going to try to figure out."

Story: I bought this carburetor brand new almost 20 years ago for Honda XR250 flat track motor. I use little bit and switch to TMR34. TMR28 carb was slept for a while since then.
Carburetor was come with me when I moved from Japan. Yes, it was very expensive piece but I was racing so, power is important more than anything.

We can buy this adaptor instead funnel for using K&N or some after market airfilter. diameter is 50mm so, OEM rubber boot will not fit.
sim.jpeg

For fitting, Intake manifold need 180 degree up side down as shown like picture.
img_0.jpeg

Then people use funnel because shock spring positioning right behind. There is no space for air filter or rubber boot. I guess float level is no problem because this is how they install and using.
images-1.jpeg

tmr_single_s.jpg
Also needs throttle cable holder replace(Parts #8). That piece you can buy from only Yoshimura Japan or you have to make your own.

I use for dirt track ride, can't ride without air filter. It just so many work, I do not recommend this modification to anyone. better go Mikuni TM33-8012. That's easy, less cost, more power. I just doing what I have.

This thread has info too. http://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-pictures-videos/17780-gopro-shot-full-throttle-half-mile-track.html

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Thank you for sharing that. :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks for the info/pics and reply.

I love finding a use for a old off the shelf part. If I can find another FCR 250cc MX carb locally for cheap I will be trying to retrofit it to my TTR225/TW engine build. The problem is they are a BIG carb so a lot of custom work will be required to mount it up. If not the TM33 looks like the ticket.

All the best with your build and make sure to keep us updated on your project.

Cheers,
Ian

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Thanks for interest more than sound:). My answer for most of questions are "That's I'm going to try to figure out."
Thank you Tumbleweed. I corresponded with some people in Japan just last week on this. You filled in some blanks. I'm also looking at the 33mm

JJ

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hello all,

Here is my update but feels me like it should goes different thread so, I just upload to my blog.
Please check that out if you have interest.

LIFE IS SIDEWAYS: Mikuni TMR project

Thanks

tumbleweed

PS: To Heli-Mech, MJ is #125 and SJ is #22.5 for now. Looks and feels like slightly rich on low revolution part by these jets and K&N filter combination. (198cc motor.)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I picked up a XT225 over the weekend with big end problems but it had a Suzuki DR200 carburetor fitted i wonder what this would be like on a TW.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nichecycle.com also sells Mikuni VM and TM carbs at decent prices. I have bought several through them. Jetting is on your own though...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I think TM carburetor works great. What benefit of TMR are lighter body and easy to jets change at race pit. TM can try 28mm and 33mm both under $600 still.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Very nice post Tumbleweed. Like your black widow.

Reactions: tumbleweed
1 - 15 of 15 Posts