TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just filled up on gas and my 2006 has been averaging around 85 mpg.

I've read other specs that claim the TW gas tank is 1.8 gallons with 0.8 of that as "reserve." I've always questioned that and today I tested it out. My TW usually hits reserve between 110 and 120 miles. Today it hit reserve at 113. I didn't actually switch to reserve as it ran out as I was aproaching the gas station, so I just pulled in the clutch and rolled up to the pump. So this gave me a perfect opportunity to see exactly how much it takes to go from reserve to full. It took 1.3 gallons to fill the tank. Assuming a 1.8 gallon capacity it would imply that reserve has a 0.5 gallon capacity.

Anyone concur?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I ran the 98 i had bone dry when i first got it. The "on tube" going into the gas tank from the petcock had fell off so i was actually running on reserve. I had to lay the bike down on the left side to get all the gas. I coasted to a station and put 1.99gallon in it. I have a clark 2.7gallon tank now and usually get 150-160miles before hitting reserve on a good day.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
My 2004 Owner's Manual states that the tank capacity is 1.85 U.S. Gallons with a Reserve Capacity of 0.45 U.S. Gallons. Now, the manual also says that you should only fill the tank to the bottom of the collar that extends into the tank a few inches, to allow for expansion due to heat, and for venting. This is discussed further in this thread. I've never done any testing or experimentation, but this has peaked my curiosity.

So, when you guys say you got 1.3 gallons until reserve or 1.99 gallons total, where are you filling the tank to? The bottom of the collar? Or, the tippy-top like most of us probably do?

Thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just filled up on gas and my 2006 has been averaging around 85 mpg.

I've read other specs that claim the TW gas tank is 1.8 gallons with 0.8 of that as "reserve." I've always questioned that and today I tested it out. My TW usually hits reserve between 110 and 120 miles. Today it hit reserve at 113. I didn't actually switch to reserve as it ran out as I was aproaching the gas station, so I just pulled in the clutch and rolled up to the pump. So this gave me a perfect opportunity to see exactly how much it takes to go from reserve to full. It took 1.3 gallons to fill the tank. Assuming a 1.8 gallon capacity it would imply that reserve has a 0.5 gallon capacity.

Anyone concur?

i have a 2006 and everything u said is identical to mine.

i fill to the bottom of the collar. 1.3 gal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would say it is relative to how fast you are traveling.

Traveling at 60-65mph I ran out of gas at about 80 miles going on reserve I ran out at 100-110 miles.

So if I was going 50-55 mph naturally my mileage would be better.

Moose

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yesterday I hit reserve and rode 12 miles to a gas station and put in 1.56 gallons of fuel. I was running 60+ mph on a four lane highway since I was in kind of an emergency 'broken clutch cable' situation, haha.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
You should be good for 30+miles on reserve. The worst mileage i ever got was with 15/47 gearing running I-75 from Tennessee to Indiana at 66-70mph the whole way. 49mpg "what a gas hog"

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a good long ride on Memorial Day, I was on my way home and had to switch to reserve at 105 miles after the last fill-up which makes about 70 mpg. This was with a 50/50 mix of road and trail riding, road speeds never exceeded 45 mph and the trail riding included about 10,000 feet of climbing & descent (each) according to my GPS.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
What's a clark tank?

Clarke Racing/Manufacturing (link) makes plastic aftermarket gas tanks. They make a 2.7gal tank for our TW. Many dubbers have used their larger tanks for XTs on their TWs. Just check out the pinned threads in the Performance section. Here is a good place to start.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Now that I got my carb running right, I went a 160 kms on 4.7 litres of fuel, which equals around 90 mpg, up here in metric land!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I only have about 1100 miles on my 09.....been rejetted to a #130,pilot turned out etc..I usually ride between 45--lower 50ish MPH,I'm still "only" getting around upper 50's to 60 MPG?....just don't understand it?....perhaps I should rejet down to a #128?.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Not rejetted mine (stock) runs great. I'm in the process of the o-ring vs. standard chain test. Using the o-ring until the standard chain comes in. Anyway, in the last 3 trips, I've got in this order 53, 55, and 62 mpg. 53 was mostly trail, 55 mostly highway, and 62 was 2/3 trail 1/3 highway. Trail speeds avg. 15-20 while my highway speeds avg. 55-60. With the 62mpg I even traded back and forth from my 50T to 55T sprocket and back and this was the best mpg result so far. So, far I'm getting the consistently inconsistant results.

Maybe you should do the jet test comparison for mpg like I'm doing for the type of chain!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Now that I got my carb running right, I went a 160 kms on 4.7 litres of fuel, which equals around 90 mpg, up here in metric land!

That's 90 miles per imperial gallon. If my calculation is correct, that's 80 miles per U.S. gallon. That's still great mileage! I average about 65 miles per U.S. gallon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts