TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many miles can be rode on stock with stock gearing? I seem to be getting really shitty gas mileage. 55 miles on the last tank. It runs great. Just checking.........

·
Registered
103 Posts
Holy Crap!!

I think the average to just have to go to reserve is like 78.

What elevation are you at, are you riding in the mountains, choke on?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just finished a 114 mile run. Getting about 55 mpg doing dirt roads and trails. Altitude from 2500 to 6800.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy Crap!!

I think the average to just have to go to reserve is like 78.

What elevation are you at, are you riding in the mountains, choke on?
Choke off. Don't even need choke to start. Im about 1500 ft

·
Registered
103 Posts
Pull the spark plug and see if it's black, check to make sure your breaks aren't dragging.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pull the spark plug and see if it's black, check to make sure your breaks aren't dragging.
I'll do that tomorrow. I just put new chain an sprockets on. Rear end was freely spinning up on lift. Changed fork boots and front wheel spins free as well. I check plug. Just changed to a new Twin Air Foam air filter. Cant figure it out

·
Registered
103 Posts
Does it have a kick starter on it?

If so how hard is it to turn over, just wondering if it was just rebuilt and the rings are oversized and super tight.

No offense but I have to ask, are the tires aired up?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2001 no kick. Turns over and starts right up. Zero smoke. 6K on the clock 20psi front 18 rear

·
Registered
24 Posts
Other factors to consider is how the bike is used. I have roughly 500 miles on my 2020, and the last adventure I went on, I got 57 miles before I went on reserve. But I was on gravel roads, many starts and stops, two up, and probably 100lbs of gear. All being said, we used 2-1/2 gallons of 87 octane non ethanol that day, went 103 miles, 50 of which was not pavement, and given the load on the bike, I feel that my mileage was fair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If its running great I have to wonder if it is leaking fuel somewhere. On average i dont have to switch to reserve until somewhere between 70-80 miles

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'd say the stock tank on mine got 100 miles per tank if topped off riding mixed pavement and trails through hilly, but not steady elevation.

·
Registered
20,629 Posts
Reported overall condition of El Viejo's bike sounds very good.
Only un-reported status is what gears and RPMs were typical for the observed 55miles/2.3 gallons which sounds like a record low 24mpg.
24 mpg is about 1 third of what the optimists report for stock geared bikes at high tire pressures running primarily in top gear at modrate speeds and at moderate elevations. Odd, geared down, atv tire, slow trail speeds and only briefly in top gears the worst mileage I have observed is a fairly consistent 50 mpg.

Reactions: Ken and El Viejo

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Other factors to consider is how the bike is used. I have roughly 500 miles on my 2020, and the last adventure I went on, I got 57 miles before I went on reserve. But I was on gravel roads, many starts and stops, two up, and probably 100lbs of gear. All being said, we used 2-1/2 gallons of 87 octane non ethanol that day, went 103 miles, 50 of which was not pavement, and given the load on the bike, I feel that my mileage was fair.
Thats alot of weight. I never ride 2 up. Just my backpack for carrying stuff. Im going to fill up and recheck today or tomorrow. Going to look at plug too. Thanks

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I've seen everything from 55 mpg to 105 mpg over the years. 55 at 65 mph into a headwind, 105 just putting around in the mountains at 40 or less mph. Stock rear, Shinko 241 front, 12/14 psi in dirt, 18/18 psi on pavement. I generally average about 75 mpg, so your mileage definitely sounds low unless you are wringing it out all the time. I don't know anything about the Twin Air filter, but it could be more restrictive than the stock.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've seen everything from 55 mpg to 105 mpg over the years. 55 at 65 mph into a headwind, 105 just putting around in the mountains at 40 or less mph. Stock rear, Shinko 241 front, 12/14 psi in dirt, 18/18 psi on pavement. I generally average about 75 mpg, so your mileage definitely sounds low unless you are wringing it out all the time. I don't know anything about the Twin Air filter, but it could be more restrictive than the stock.
Actually Twin Air is less restrictive. It makes it more responsive than the K&N that the previous owner installed. Im going to do a retest this weekend without a bunch of start and stops

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Reported overall condition of El Viejo's bike sounds very good.
Only un-reported status is what gears and RPMs were typical for the observed 55miles/2.3 gallons which sounds like a record low 24mpg.
24 mpg is about 1 third of what the optimists report for stock geared bikes at high tire pressures running primarily in top gear at modrate speeds and at moderate elevations. Odd, geared down, atv tire, slow trail speeds and only briefly in top gears the worst mileage I have observed is a fairly consistent 50 mpg.
I ride at some points of my ride at 50 to 55 mph. Normally around town at 40. Stock tires. 14t in front 49 tooth in rear.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts