TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to take my (new to me) 2013 TeeDub on the TransAmerica Trail in June. One of the big considerations is the number of miles between gas stations out west. I think I have to go 160 miles a time or two. So I am wondering the average miles per tank of gas. I carried a gas can with me once and got 154, after going on reserve at 107 miles. That's the only time I have run it dry. Other times I have gone to reserve about 90, so I figure that would be a 140 mile tank. Obviously, I will have to carry extra gas, but I am hoping to make it with just two 30 oz MSR bottles in tool tubes. So far that looks doable. But I would hate to run out in the middle of nowhere. What is your experience?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
conditions matter, depends on your speed and load. i assume on the trail you're in low to mid gearing, better mpg than slab at 55-60. i would want more than just two mrs bottle when being that far out.

think of getting a bigger tank. a OEM xt225 tank gives you an extra 1/2 gallon while an xt350 gives you more than a gallon of useable gas. the clark tanks give you a variety of choices, again the two xt tanks and the tw200.

·
Super Moderator
5,154 Posts
Aesthetically, the XT225 tanks works well, especially if you include the “spoiler” thingies (though they’ve been known to “jump ship” in the rough)

Even so, I’d feel a lot more comfortable with a gallon on the back as well

That extra gallon on the rear means you can help someone else out if you come across them dry – (spent too many miles running on fumes to take the chance anymore)

If rear weight bothers you, fill the front tank when appropriate - wont be long before you have the space ......

·
Registered
715 Posts
I agree with joeband. If you are going to crunch serious miles on the TW = TW needs a bigger tank. It will ease your mind and double your time / distance between fuel stops.

I have the stock tank and constantly planning the next fuel stop.

My 1991 gets approx 130 miles per tank if driven easily on gravel roads.

·
Registered
715 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,985 Posts
Bigger tank!!

Welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
S miles per tank, Fixed it for ya.

The first guy to do that trail alone on two wheels and not detour the Darian Gap by boat used an 800 cc BMW. I met him and his ride in 1993 at a BMW
national. I also bought his book about the trip. He was selling then off the back of his bike. He said the most important thing he needed for the trip
was a working command of the Spanish language.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you are doing the TAT, do yourself a favor and buy some peace of mind by going with a big XT350 tank. The extra fuel will make the trip more enjoyable because you'll have the confidence to take your time, take the detours, explore a little more, and just not worry if you'll have the fuel to spare. Save the Rotopack for more important things like water. Removing the fear of running out of gas will make the trip less stressful - and according to my cousin (who did it on a CBR650 - yes, a sports bike - she IS the crazy one in the family), there are enough spots of deep sand and rough roads and seemingly infinite desert stretches that having one less thing to worry about is worth the investment.

Good luck! Hope you have a blast. :)

P.S. - if you want an entertaining preview of the trail and see my crazy cousin conquer it on a sports bike, check out Pursuit Horizon | Pursuit Horizon - A Motorcycle Adventure Documentary

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Bone dry got 156 miles

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
So on our Moab trip on the way home we did the Notom rd to Burr trail. We started at Torrey outside of Capital Reef NP. After going down Notom rd to the Waterpocket Fold and Burr trail and up the switch backs and down that beautiful canyon to Bolder we went up Bolder mt back to Torrey Utah. Elevation was from 4400 to 8700 ft. Our bikes with 55t back sprokets and fat jetting were hitting reserve at 67- 73 miles. Total mileage for the trip was 146 we could have gotten gas at Boulder but knew we had enough to get back. We carry 2-1.75 roto paks that can hold 2 gal 1 pak each. I figure we have a conservative 190+ mile range with those not counting a reserve. These figures were with one 10lb bag on top of my Roto pak. Speeds were 50% @25 mph and 50% 45-50 mph. Don't forget to consider weight and terrain in your range expectations. I reloaded the stock tanks twice. A big tank is nice but for most of our riding the stock tank works and the roto paks give piece of mind and range to go long.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Figure on about 70 miles per gallon to be safe. A Clarke XT 350 natural color tank holds 4 gallons so you should go around 280 miles on a full tank and you will be able to see how much gas is in the tank right through the natural color. All bets are off on the 70 MPGs if you are blasting hard or carrying a lot of extra weight.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
I think I must have been running on fumes. I know I was a little worried by my OD reading. Thankfully we carry an extra 1.25gal. But I did make it to the gas station in Forks without having to use it.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I think I must have been running on fumes. I know I was a little worried by my OD reading. Thankfully we carry an extra 1.25gal. But I did make it to the gas station in Forks without having to use it.

I have gotten just over 2 gallons in my tank and it wasn't out of gas dry. There was still a little bit left. A very little bit.

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
If carrying much bulky gear on the TAT be prepared to occasionally get much worse fuel mileage than on a typical day's excusion. By neccesity you may have to eat some serious headwinds, power sapping sand, or sustained high speed where aerodynamic drag can really suck up the fuel.
Sounds like a good adventure irregardless of the total fuel on board.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I have gotten just over 2 gallons in my tank and it wasn't out of gas dry. There was still a little bit left. A very little bit.
so poking that hole is almost equivalent to the stock reserve of .3g?

i should get my hammer and punch out.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
On two of our Moab rides one bike ran crappie after over filling two different tanks on two days. It took me two trips to figure it out. At high speed there was a miss untill the level went down. At lower speed it wasn't a problem. Maybe that hole breaks up a vacuum.

Plus we had very high winds on that burr trail ride all day.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts