TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oh my dismay when I filled my tank up for the first time and realised my fuel consumption was only 20km / litre and not the expected 30km / litre. Then it struck me, my odometer is calibrated for miles. Living in South Africa and everything being measured in km's - does anybody have any ideas on how to fix / convert / rectify this. I guess I could go back to the dealer but that is a good 1.5 hours drive away.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Order a speedometer assembly from a country that uses km instead of miles.

I'm curious... did you import your bike to SA or was it purchased locally with a Miles speedo?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
20km. per liter only works out to 47.04 mpg if I'm figgering it right. Kinda poor for a TW.

Anyone else get something different?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I purchased it locally through a dealer. I am getting 30 km a litre, it was my calculations what I thought was km was in fact miles, hence incorrect calculation. I have already emailed my dealer about this. Let's see what he says

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Quick on the calculation, slow on the uptake.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update:

My odometer is measuring in miles. the TW200 was discontinued in South Africa. The bike I bought is a Canadian Import.

go figure, bought through a SA dealer, but miles on the clock. Now looking at buying a VAPOR - at least then i will have a rev counter and can measure distance in km's

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Odd that they say it's a Canadian import as our TW's have kilometer speedos not miles.
speedo is both miles (on top) and km below, but the odometer is in miles. I am contemplating following up on this. I have bought this machine new and the least I would expect is that it would match local requirements. Or I just ignore it and dont ruffle feathers and simply buy the vapor. One of my clients is the SA agent for importing Trailtech items and he is doing me a nice deal on a vapor.

The only two items I cant seem to find here in SA is the oversized tank for the TW and fairing shield. I am getting a rack built up by another client of mine who owns his own engineering company and then looking for a tailbox.

It has only been a week and already I am frustrated with having to carry a day pack on my back all the time. I want to be able to pop down to the shop to get bread and milk and just pop it in.

also now looking for an overnight trail.

Wow, I am just offloading on this thread, but I went for another 'BushBash' this weekend. Bike was awesome on gravel, stones and sand, but alas not in mud. I just ended up going sideways in the mud. Also being a new bike I cried for its first mud covering - heh heh

·
Registered
566 Posts
^ Jimbo has shipped shields as far away as Australia and Russia. If you want the shield, send him an email.

The bike looks good muddy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Regardless of whether the speedo is indicated in.. miles and kilometers ... a Canadian speedometer would have the odometer measured in kilometers. That is a sure bet! Ask your dealer where the bike came from... because it sure as heck didn't come from my country...

z

1 - 12 of 12 Posts