TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
If anyone has had occasion to ride any of the above, can they please comment and give us a report?
I have a USMC M1030B1 which is the KLR650 modified for the Marine Corps. The differences are deletion of the kickstand and clutch safety switches, addition of military lighting, early style fairing, large Desert Dynamics fuel tank and also the brush guards for the hand grips and engine. There is also a different shock absorber than a stock KLR.
Rides like a heavy dual sport bike... I have never ridden a stock KLR so I cant compare it.
The diesel models (M1030M1) are very hard to find, I estimate 10-12 of them are in civilian hands. There is a guy who purchased 4 or 6 of them and tried to resell for a high number with minimal success. They are out there but you have to be ready to pay north of $10,000 if you find one for sale.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have a USMC M1030B1 which is the KLR650 modified for the Marine Corps. The differences are deletion of the kickstand and clutch safety switches, addition of military lighting, early style fairing, large Desert Dynamics fuel tank and also the brush guards for the hand grips and engine. There is also a different shock absorber than a stock KLR.
Rides like a heavy dual sport bike... I have never ridden a stock KLR so I cant compare it.
The diesel models (M1030M1) are very hard to find, I estimate 10-12 of them are in civilian hands. There is a guy who purchased 4 or 6 of them and tried to resell for a high number with minimal success. They are out there but you have to be ready to pay north of $10,000 if you find one for sale.

View attachment 218796 View attachment 218798 View attachment 218799
Wow
How much gas does not that tank hold ?

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
453 Posts

Looks like your ass would fall off before you ran out of gas with that rig...

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts

Always wanted one of those, looks great.

I don't know if the guy who bought and tried to resell them is the same one, but it was really fun following some old blog posts a while back of a guy who'd rebuilt multiple Marine Corps KLRs, and chronicled one of the builds, so cool to watch him restore that bike to its former glory.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I didnt even know the military used a klr650 with the stock gasoline engine. I thought all military vehicles had to be able to run on jp8 or whatever they call jet fuel. Where would they have even used these things and why?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I didnt even know the military used a klr650 with the stock gasoline engine. I thought all military vehicles had to be able to run on jp8 or whatever they call jet fuel. Where would they have even used these things and why?
I was just thinking the same thing...
mike from NC

Reactions: Will9519

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Charge it !

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
They are typically used by the marines and special operations groups for long range recon (army has some of the gas models too). They can also accompany smaller patrols and troop movement to scout ahead as fast movers.

On a side note, Hayes made those engines bullet proof, the M103M1, the legit diesel version will run on JP8, regular diesel, kerosene, and biofuels... that was one of the thoughts when making it was if you end upon in an area with scarce fuel... you got options. Some would probably hurt that engine good, but it'll get you home.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
We dont still use them at all do we?
Well it's been a couple years now, but the last time I saw them was when I was still contracting (circa 2013), they had some guys training on the desert kitted KLRs at McGreggor missle range north of El Paso.

Im sure they are still keeping some in service for whatever reasons.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thats cool. I cant really imagine a real need for military motorcycles but a pretty badass concept never the less. I know harley made one called the mt500 which if I remember correctly had a rotax engine and was originally built by a British company.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Armstrong was the British manufacturer of the MT500, which was built from 1983 to1987 for NATO forces. Harley purchased the rights in 1987.
They produced the MT350 through the 1990's. (See below)
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

One of my favorite movie military bikes is the Harley used in Captain America: The First Avenger. It was designed to look like a WW2 WLA, but was actually a 2010 Harley-Davidson Crossbones. Only five were made. Seems like something more than a few people might be interested in. Kind of a reliable "antique".
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

·
Registered
477 Posts
Theres the tube bike the British Air dropped in during ww2. I dont recall what it was called but it was a little mini bike that folded up into a tube and then got dropped to the battlefield.

·
Registered
22,017 Posts
Motorcycles were listed among equipment left to the Taliban a few weeks ago, likely our diesel M1030M1's. Our gas fueled Tactical KLX250s were mostly pulled out years ago as marginally fit for the high elevations there. Can you say "Bullet resistant Radiators"? Deployment to the Cristini 450AWD was limited so examples might be found stateside.
Squad Military uniform Military camouflage Military person Sky

Tire Wheel Military camouflage Automotive tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

So much of our stuff is for sale now over there as well as in Pakistan, check Kabul Craigslist.
From a recent Twitter post: "I'm probing Kabul Craigslist for mraps....must have working AC, .50 cal not needed, I'll purchase separately.":cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts