TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Do you or have you used a plastic milk crate for a front or rear cargo carrier

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
☕ How many of you use milk crates on-a-back of your TW? What's y0our take on the things? No B.S. now, I see lots of pictures with them on TW's... I use one myself because it seems to be pretty handy. It's extra work to simply strap or bungee things down on my Cycleracks rear rack, so I affixed the crate.

☕ I hate how the bloomin' thing looks though but it works. Mine is simply held onto my rear rack with two screw type hose clamps on the back. The front just sort of flops around but is steadied enough by the downward torque of the screw clamps fitted on the back. I suppose if I was really serious about it I could affix a couple more clamps near the front to mount it more solid. Like I said, I hate how it looks but it works.

☕ What do I use it for? Various and sundry. It's good for heavy stuff I find. Like gallon jugs of water, gasoline for the riding mower... I even packed home a big hunk of steel plate the other day weighed about 30 lb. If the stuff I carry is light I bungee it in because I've had stuff blow out on me.

☕ I've been thinking customizing it a bit. Should I get another and clamp it on beside the first one and have a two-fer? Should I cut down the height a bit to make it more aesthetically more proportional? It probably would be just as useable, save for the ragged edge. It wouldn't be as stif and strong. I have access to a sheet metal brake and thought if I did cut it down I'd reinforce the edge by making a skirt that would "edge" all around the top for maybe 1 1/2 inches to cover rough edges and stiffen it up. But what about the middle - it is two crates fastened together? Should I cut out one "wall" or just lieave things as is? I think I'd just leave those sides or walls intact and attach them togrether with screw clamps again. I suppose I could also use zip ties too, almost as strong.

☕ In the end I'd have lots of carrying capacity. If I was to go on a fair long ride I could carry fuel on one side and other things on the other, like rain gear, extra layers, grub, or whatever. I still have the front rack too - a Cycleracks one that when used unfortunately blocks the headlight. I've been thinking about putting a crate on their too - for what I do not know yet, our daily bread maybe since it wouldn't get crushed in packing it home. How to use it will come to me.

☕ Lately, instead of using another plastic crate I thought I could make a Jim Dandy front basket with an old abandoned grocery cart. NO, not the whole thing, fool... I'd salvage just the grocery cart material and form and weld up a nice carrier. For that matter I could just junk my weird Mr. Bean styled milk crate rack on the rear too and make new with shopping cart material.

☕ Buy the proper accessory? One day maybe. I'll get decent luggage racks and hard panniers for the sides. I've always packed bags instead of a top box because they squish down and tie down so nicely. But if this metal rack thing works out I might just go with that and put my bags inside of it. ☕

·
Registered
733 Posts
I made mine easily removable on my Manrack using the rotopax mount location and some thumb bolts. Shown in the two links below.

What have you done with your TW today?

If you really want to get fancy look into the collapsible milkcrates you can get at home Depot or Walmart.

Reactions: paddy

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
My Father had one on the back of his CM-400T. He took it to a place that did boat covers and had them make one for his crate. Looked very nice and they put a handle on the top along with a couple of side pouches.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Nope...the only thing I haul on my TW is a backpack...or a occasional kid......I would probably have trouble just getting on a TW with a milk crate.....

·
Registered
132 Posts
For doing a few things around close to home, maybe.
For any off road riding, no way.
I use it off road all the time since it is securely attached. A couple of bungee cords keep the bag I normally use secured in the crate.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My joints creak when mount my TW. I've had to develop a technique specially for getting into the saddle with my milk crate on the back. I step away from the mc a bit then just lift up my leg as if climbing over barbed wire. No more creaking joints.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, you mean my el-cheapo Givi box? Seems to fit the personality of the Tdub to a tee. Riding a TW one cannot be too self conscious about how things look. View attachment 218087
I agree - It suits pretty well. In fact I think Yamaha should supply their own branded crate with each TW. Is it me or do people really tend to gawk at you and wonder, I think, who and what have we here???

Has anyone used a double crate system, or a bigger crate that is twice the size?

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Years ago had a buddy that strapped a bread crate to his bike. The idea was that he could carry his camping gear back there. It worked pretty well until he tried to go between two trees that were a little too close together. Yes I did laugh at him.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree - It suits pretty well. In fact I think Yamaha should supply their own branded crate with each TW. Is it me or do people really tend to gawk at you and wonder, I think, who and what have we here???

Has anyone used a double crate system, or a bigger crate that is twice the size?
I thought better of that full size crate idea since you do not want to overload the rack area of the bike too much. The tendency of the frame under the rear fender to break has been well documented.
As to people wondering, “What have we here?”, that is pretty much par for the corse with me.
Hat Smile Sunglasses Vision care Street fashion

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As to people wondering, “What have we here?”, that is pretty much par for the corse with me.
I have no idea why I get double takes from people, specially when I'm on my TW. I always thought it was the milk crate... Jeez, maybe it's my haircut? Whatever..., and no matter.

My helmet is an old Davida puddin' bowl that was boring. I've been looking for a new one btw. In the meantime, to piss off the wife (it used to be the in laws but they're gone now, bless their souls) I glued on some horse bristles in a row along the top and taped on my youngest son's 18" long pony tail at the back that I saved from when he was still a kid. Gives me a layered look... I feel like one of Mad Max's warriors in Beyond Thunderdome and I think the kid at the gas station is actually afraid of me... I look like the guy in the upper left. All these guys stopped when they saw me on my TW with the milk crate on it...

Sky Entertainment Headgear Art Performing arts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never noticed it till just now but what the heck are those things hanging over that burnt log in the lower right?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I used a milk crate for a while. I mounted and carried Rotopax on it. I really liked the ability to drop my helmet in there during breaks, or all of the other misc. reasons. I ended up overloading too often and eventually broke the TW sub-frame after riding over some rough stuff.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I modified a CT90 rack to fit my TW. Milk crate is zip tied to the rack. I use the TW as a farm bike, so I'm always throwing stuff in it. Couldn't make it without it. Only thing is on occasion I've hit a bump and something gets bounced out. Not usually a problem as most of my use is low speed, but I stay aware it. I also have a low mount front rack. I've mounted a crate there, but am careful what I put in it. Steering gets funny if I put much weight in the front one, so it's usually removed. Yeah, she looks funky, but "purty is as purty does".
Funny story about a milk crate. Old biker type dude rides by on a clapped out pink (faded red) KLR 650 with a milk crate. My buddy turns to me and says "He looks like one of those homeless guys sitting on the corner with a jar, asking for a handout." (Well, WE thought it was funny.)

Mike

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm happy to see that others have discovered the sheer utility of a milk crate used on their TW. I like mine for the exact same reasons you do, Gruff. It's a convenient place to stow your helmet where it's not likely someone will mess with it when you are absent. It'll carry several gallon jugs of milk, flats of beer, even a right sized box of pizza, fresh bread, or whatever. If you don't put too much stuff in there fragile items like fresh bread or baked goods, or eggs won't get squashed or broken.

I'm old enough and eccentric enough not to care about style, fashion, and in that vein how a milk crate looks on my TW. It's an accessory that in my view is a wise addition that begs to be mounted on TW's and such.

I stow some clothing for layering in a recyclable shopping bag. It lives at the bottom of my crate and interferes with nothing else there. Rain or shine it's ready to use and repack in it's cheap waterproof Walmart shopping bag that folds up like an envelope. No more fiddling with bungees or rummaging through panniers to find that sweatshirt, or rain gear. On an extended trip, of course I wouldn't rely on a crate entirely. I've always used soft but rugged gym bags as a top pack where I generally keep my camping gear. They are secured with bungee's. In hot weather my riding jacket and layers go on top of the bag.

On the front rack, Gruff, what brand is it that you have?

If you happen to have the Cycleracks brand front rack (I have that same one) how did you work around it's bracing on the sides to get your milk crate to sit back properly against the headlight? I mention it because on the Cycleracks front rack that bracing or reinforcing is "in the way" if you try mount your milk crate there.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I've considered the collapsible one from Northern Tools.

If ever a fear it may actually collapse, when not wanted, a simple bungey, or long strip of velcro wrapped around it would be great insurance you won't lose any contents held within.

View attachment 218106
I use one from time to time.
( A different brand )
They look a little less dorkie when collapsed
I am on my second one.
They are not extremely durable
At least I can throw my leg over the bike when it is collapsed..
Remember the bungee net for the top ..
Light stuff will blow out .....
I quickly attach and detach mine with a couple of
J bolts , fender washer and wing nuts to my cyclerack..
Mostly I just toss crap in the trailer..
Sometimes I require extra crap.
mike from NC

1 - 20 of 36 Posts