TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Do you or have you used a plastic milk crate for a front or rear cargo carrier

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
On the front rack, Gruff, what brand is it that you have?
If you happen to have the Cycleracks brand front rack (I have that same one) how did you work around it's bracing on the sides to get your milk crate to sit back properly against the headlight? I mention it because on the Cycleracks front rack that bracing or reinforcing is "in the way" if you try mount your milk crate there.
Not sure what brand, but it's probably a Cycleracks. Got it from Fred (Placerlode) right after I got the TW. Guess I mis-spoke about a milk crate on the front. You're right, it won't fit. I used a 5 gal chemical jug I had laying around, just cut the top off. A 5 gal bucket also fits. I ran it for a while, but found myself putting to much in it. It didn't handle well. That and it blocks the headlight at night. Looked for it but couldn't find it, must have found another use for it. It's footprint measures about 9 1/2 x 11. Here are two pictures (Everyone loves pics, right?) The one with nothing on the front rack is how she rolls the majority of the time. The other is with an intact jug set it on the rack to give you an idea, the milk crate, and my fencepost quiver.
Yeah, I know. She's ugly. But like I said above, "purty is as purty does".
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant
;)

Mike

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Same racks I have. What's that big aluminum thing on the back in your first picture?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I call it my fencepost quiver. Aluminum back with 4 sections of 4" pvc pipe zip tied to it. I can carry 24 tread-in fence posts, used with polywire for temporary fencing for my cattle.

Mike

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bringing it back to the original purpose of ranch/farm bike. Very clever & function over form.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Here's a question. Did you have to buy your milk crate? I'm lucky the little store across the street will give you one if you ask.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
OK, I'm here to tell you that the "Large" milk crate is not only useful, but can totally go off road with style! And yes, the crate mounted tail / brake light is totally functional!
Note the serious "Fred" on the rope swing! We're talking serious crate action! ;):LOL: m.
Plant Musical instrument Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar
Plant Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Ecoregion
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Sky

·
Super Moderator
19,936 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hell raisers all u' yuz... As for the video, did they all live? Did any of them end up in traction or wheelchairs? I've never seen anything so bone ass crazy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Milk crates are only as important as the things you carry in them. Gracie (the dog) is pretty good at riding on vehicles already, and took to the crate immediately. This kind of training is important because she wants to see Yucatan/Oxaca/Ushuaia too.

We ordered our milk crates from Farmplast via milkcratesdirect.com although that website is telling me its security certificate isn't valid, so click at your own risk. I'm planning to attach them to both bike with cam straps because you can never have enough cam straps.

Both bikes will have a crate, one to carry the dog and one to carry stuff. We're planning to strap lighter items to the outside of the crates, like Helinox chairs, spade, thermarest, shelter tarp, etc. The bike carrying Gracie is outfitted with the 45* copper pipe exhaust mod to shoot fumes and sound down.

I'm toying around with the idea of moving the crate forward by ~6 inches and cutting out the handle area, allowing for Gracie to lean against the rider for comfort, but she's been pretty happy sitting so far. She likes to rest her head on my shoulder at 25mph and under, and we know we can kick her out of the bike for technical bits of trail, which immediately deletes 35lbs of dynamic weight from the whole rig.
Sky Dog Cloud Vertebrate Dog breed

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Best crate I know of is a folding crate made by Big Ant. Their small size is around 15"x11"x10". Plenty big enough for a dog and the fact it folds when not needed is even better.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts