TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have to ask if you have a USB port wired in? If so, and it still is powered with key 'off', it will kill your battery. Don't ask me how I know..

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Can anyone tell me how many milliamps my bike should draw off the battery with the key off?
As others have said, the T-dub has NOTHING to draw current when turned off if you have not added hard wired accessories. However, if the terminals and/or top of your battery has any corrosion, some current can leak from positive to negative.
Check and clean with bicarbonate of soda if necessary.

·
Registered
385 Posts
One way to help find the cirucuit that is drawing power: One at a time, pull out a fuse. Keep track where you start, and how you progress. When the fuse is out, check your current draw. If it doesn't change [could be more than one drawing current], put it back in and move on to the next fuse.

Sometimes the draw is not on a fused circuit. But try them. Also, anything else that you can simply unpluge from the fuse panel, if the fuse method doesn't locate it, can be disconnected too.

Good luck. Oh, and what the others said here is good advice too. Electrical gremlins can be complex. The key to finding them is taking your time when testing, and keep track of results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So…after unplugging and replugging all my connections with the meter hooked up, (which was a good thing to check anyway-I had some loose connections and crumbly clips) we have now decided there's a distinct possibility my battery went whacky.
It's been sent to be tested and my replacement will be here Tuesday. We'll hope it works.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
...... we have now decided there's a distinct possibility my battery went whacky.
It's been sent to be tested and my replacement will be here Tuesday. We'll hope it works.
Usually when a battery has been abused or is near the end of its life it will appear to work fine if the bike is ridden often, but if it sits for as little as a week it will be close to dead. Usually one cell goes first and the only way to check it is with a hygrometer, if it is a plain lead acid type. A realistic life expectancy of a lead acid moto battery is only 4-5 years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sooooooooo…got the new, fully charged, warranty replacement battery home, put it in the bike, and….nothing. No click, no nothing. Double check connections-seem fine. Maybe the fuse? Sure enough, the connection at the top of the fuse was corroded and a mess. Cleaned up, new fuse, and we're both purring like kittens now!!

Thanks, everyone for the advice and guidance.

·
Registered
503 Posts
glad to hear! Now get out and ride! You've wrenched enuff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't wait to get back out there! Just need a new bulb for my headlight and a bit more healing/flexibilty in my knee.
DSCN0889_zpscdc43c12.jpg

·
Registered
13,412 Posts
I can't wait to get back out there! Just need a new bulb for my headlight and a bit more healing/flexibilty in my knee.
View attachment 6168

Oopsie! Looks like some knee and shin guards are in order:p

At least you have a smile. Heal well!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like some knee and shin guards are in order:p

At least you have a smile. Heal well![/QUOTE]

That's how I KNOW I have the sickness-I just wanted to get back on and ride immediately!! lol I will have plenty more protection before I hit the road again. Lesson learned. Hard way, but learned, nonetheless.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts