TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short Background Story. Last May, my wife and I made a very short visit to this place. I was drawn to Mineral because of a geocache in the area, but things didn't turn out like we planned. Mineral is located up Dennett Creek Idaho near Brownlee Reservoir along the Oregon/Idaho border. There are only two ways to get here essentially, over the mountain or around the mountain along the reservoir. Our problem was there was snow up in them thar hills, and my wife is deathly afraid of water. Well, she said it would be ok to go via the reservoir road, but in the end that wasn't a good idea. About halfway along the reservoir I looked over and saw she was crying uncontrollably. Needless to say our stay was a drive through Mineral on our way up and over them thar mountains, which wasn't easy because of the snow. I wrote a report of this in the off-topic last May/June.

So fast forward. I've been wanting to go back all summer, but didn't have time until now. So here is my ride, without my beloved wife. Georgie would have to do, which she didn't mind at all.

Here's the temp when I left the staging area in the morning. Brrr!

Because of how cold it was, I trailered the TW from home to the staging area near Brownlee Reservoir.

Along the way I saw this cool looking manure spreader I think.

Another interesting site. Land recently grazed by cattle on the right of the fence, and not for a while on the left.

Mineral is located on land owned by the Rocking M Ranch, but is part of a conservation easement area which allows sportsmans access. Which I'm glad of or I wouldn't be able to ride to it.

Almost ready to go. Georgie waiting...impatiently I might add.

Didn't take any photo's of the reservoir heading too Mineral, but have a few later. Here I'm starting up Dennett Crk rd toward Mineral.

Here's a weird looking coal type deposit along Dennett Crk. I'm guessing there must have been a smelter here as I see either part of a boiler or smoke stack.

Here is a view of the snow covered Iron Mountain. Had to up that way last May when there was more snow on it.

Finally arrived at Mineral

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a few more photo's of what's left of Mineral.

Mineral or Mineral City was a mining boom town during the 1880's.

Miners came for gold and silver, but most of what was mined was copper.

The road is very well maintained, but not many come here because of it's remoteness.

Though time was also short on this trip, I did locate 1 of the 2 caches in the area. This cache is located near the large rock

to the right and above the road.

Found an old iron chiesel at the cache rock. Looks like it was hammered in long ago. It's loose now, but I only took a picture of it and left it where it was.

And here's the cache

The hillside was steep and even Georgie had to be careful

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Near Mineral, I took a side road up a draw and found a corral with this old storage building, for Ice I think.

I think this stone building was built before the trees were here or when they were young. Tree has grown up and over the stone

Also the doorway is blocked by the tree's indicating the tree's came after the structure.

Only Georgie could get through the doorway now between these two tree trunks.

One more photo of the structure.

From here I head back to the staging area. Hard to see here, but this is a marina and lodge located and operated by the ranch on the reservoir.

TW looks nice near the reservoir

And one without the TW. My girls noticed something about this photo. If you tilt your head to the left, it looks like one of the Planet of the Apes because of the reflection. Good imagination I'd say!

Anyway, this ride was way to short and I plan on coming back to explore more mines in the area and also find the other geocache. But I better do it before summer when the Rattle Snakes are out

in full force.

Will post some video when I get it downloaded.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
You're a rugged outdoorsman for sure taking to the remote roads in this kind of weather. I presume that aside for your four-legged co-rider you're making these trips solo? Better have your wife get you a Spot for Christmas. I don't want to hear a report that you froze to death having to spend an unplanned night in the Idaho dingweeds in subzero weather.

Being the "city mouse", my TW is in hibernation in the garage plugged into a Battery Tender. I applaud your pioneering spirit and enjoy your as always great rider reports, but do question your sanity - (grin)

Look like you also used your buddies helmet cam. The video looks really great, especially at 1080 HD and full screen. You know you're gonna have to get one of those now, right?

Glad to see you having a good time. Be safe. I'd like to ride with you again when the spring thaw occurs. Vaya con Dios amigo!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
14 degrees plus windchill. Brrrrrrrr!!! I guess we can't call you a wimp! Looks like Georgie has her winter coat on, too. I enjoyed the pictures, especially those that show the passage of time, like the trees in front of the ice house. I also enjoyed the videos, but I can see the writing on the wall. You're going to get attached to that Contour and have to buy yourself one. Bad for your pocketbook, but good for us as long as you're willing to share! Thanks for sharing your ride with us. I've been tied up with family obligations lately, but have some time off coming up soon so hopefully I can share my rides too.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sad news, I gave the Contour Camera back to my buddy. I do like and will get one someday when I save enough pop cans to turn in. Now, I had been watching the weather all week and it wasn't gonna change much, but I was hoping the temp would get into the 40's. No such luck, there was still frost in the shadows when I returned. But the sun was out and it felt warm. I was dressed for it and didn't get cold. I'm keeping my eye out for one of those Spitfire type windshields.

Truelight, a spot would really be handy for my wife's peace of mind. She even asked me exactly where I was parking so she had a good starting point to send the search and rescue squad. She doesn't say so, but I think she feels relieved when she gets a txt from me when I return to cell phone coverage.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Great adventure!! No way can I ride at 41, let alone 14. Seems I find it hard to be inspired to ride if it's cooler than my age, (62).
I bet Georgie gives off alot of heat. Since my dogs (two of the three) are alot smaller, maybe I can stuff them in my ridding jacket to keep me warm. Thanks Admiral.. Gerry

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
i really love the "planet of the apes" shot. i'd like to see one of georgie riding two up. how fast can you go with her? you seem to be over 25+mph? thanks for the rr, looks like a beautiful area.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i really love the "planet of the apes" shot. i'd like to see one of georgie riding two up. how fast can you go with her? you seem to be over 25+mph? thanks for the rr, looks like a beautiful area.

Joe,

I would never have seen the gorilla shot if not for the girls. I was drawn to how still the water and what a pretty reflection it made. Who knew! Normally, 99% of my rides are off-pavement roads where Georgie can ride. I don't usually feel comfortable going over 30 mph with her on the back, but have made some 2-3 mile jaunts on pavement going 50 mph. But I don't like too! 20-30 mph is normal. I am trying to come up with something for her to ride safely on the back, but haven't come up with anything she likes.

Anyway here's a short video of her riding on the back this past summer.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZYCsyI4s_w[/media]

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
wow, that's some cold temps. Thanks for the great pics. I'm taking my tdub out tomorrow for an all day ride. I'll be in a remote area but not as remote as yours! Morning temp for me will be 40ish and high of 60? Wish I could have my dog ride on back like yours but he's just too big.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you ever go back, keep an eye out on the lower half, where the creek is near the road for a washed out wooden bridge if you cross and follow the road , theres an old graveyard back there.

The main road tends to wash out on normal winters, that may not be the case this year, but if it does, you can take the road behind that last homestead picture clear to the top, and you can continue on.

Or, if you can take the main road theres one that cuts over Iron Mt, to the right, that towards the top, is pretty fair squirrel country, before the grass gets too high, if you're into that.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ran out of time on this trip, but I'm going back, got more exploring to do, and a geocache. I'm guessing the graveyard is off the side road I took, correct? Counting this trip I've sort of been in the area 3 times. First time was with the wife, and with the whole water phobia thing, we kind of breezed through and headed up and over Iron Mtn and down Adams Creek. 2nd time I was with my daughter and we came from Adams Creek, down the ridge a bit to where I think that Gypsum mine is, or very near it.

If I hadn't been short on time, I was gonna take (or try too) that road past the homestead/corral area as I saw it went up while looking at the maps. Now you've confirmed that I should be able to make it. Hope to get back there before the rattlers come out to play, around April or May, depending on snow.

Thanks for the info, will be neat to find and add what you've told me for another RR.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I ran out of time on this trip, but I'm going back, got more exploring to do, and a geocache. I'm guessing the graveyard is off the side road I took, correct? Counting this trip I've sort of been in the area 3 times. First time was with the wife, and with the whole water phobia thing, we kind of breezed through and headed up and over Iron Mtn and down Adams Creek. 2nd time I was with my daughter and we came from Adams Creek, down the ridge a bit to where I think that Gypsum mine is, or very near it.

If I hadn't been short on time, I was gonna take (or try too) that road past the homestead/corral area as I saw it went up while looking at the maps. Now you've confirmed that I should be able to make it. Hope to get back there before the rattlers come out to play, around April or May, depending on snow.

Thanks for the info, will be neat to find and add what you've told me for another RR.

actually its on the other side, as you go up from the river, its on the right side of the main dennett creek road, have to cross the creek, around a washed out old wooden/log bridge, and the road is a bit grown over, have to keep an eye out for it as it doesn't stand out at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts