TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect that someone has done this already. But I didn't see one in a search so here goes.
I like being able to air down tires off road but don't like riding back home on squishy tires. This is the cheapest solution I could come up with.
Started with a $10 12volt compressor from Harbor Freight. ($8 with the 20% coupon)
compressor.jpg digitalsavings_02.png
I then took it out of its plastic case, removed and plugged the pressure gauge hole. I also removed the lighter plug and replaced it with a 2 prong connector that I bought at NAPA for $3. That way it will plug into the Battery tender plug I already have in the bike.
0907151831.jpg 0907151821.jpg
As you can see in the pics I taped the cord unto the motor, then folded it back and taped it again, to prevent it from getting yanked from the terminals. I also placed a big glob of Goop shoe glue on each terminal to prevent shorting and stress breaks.
To test it I let air out of the tire until it was at 0 PSI and the rim was almost on the ground. Got out my stopwatch (phone actually) and let it run for 2 minutes. Tire was up to 8 PSI. Let it run an additional 2 minutes and it was up to 14 PSI.
Wrapped up it will fit in the extra space in the battery box since I switched to the lithium battery.
Total price $11 and I have an extra 2 prong plug.:)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
That's a great idea Sponge. I also carry the CyclePump, on my GS. Still carry a Slime inflator sealer on everything.

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
Sponge, nice job minimizing and opening up pump body for better cooling. That it fits in the space freed up by the Shorie is pure icing. I have been trying to decide how best to use this space other than with foam. Perhaps I'll uncage my similar pump and follow your inspiration, see if mine can shrink enough to fit in battery box. My battery tender leads are way too long anyways, will shorten them too. And if I bust my dusty old $10 pump giving it the "bobber" treatment I can always buy Borneo's $100 CyclePump.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Ill put another vote out there for the cyclepump. I use mine all the time for airing up after going off road. I have killed other cheaper pumps in no time, the cyclepump has never let me down. I have done everything form airing up a low pressure tire back to street to seating a bead with it.

For me any tools that are designed to get you out of a bind bust be reliable, the cyclepump is just that.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I noticed that as it was running it was flinging a bit of oil off the connecting rod. since there was no way to replace that oil inside its plastic case I have to assume it was not going to be a long life product. As it is now i can put a drop or two on the bottom of the piston and connecting rod every time I use it. I would hope this gives it a bit more life.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sponge, nice job minimizing and opening up pump body for better cooling. That it fits in the space freed up by the Shorie is pure icing. I have been trying to decide how best to use this space other than with foam. Perhaps I'll uncage my similar pump and follow your inspiration, see if mine can shrink enough to fit in battery box. My battery tender leads are way too long anyways, will shorten them too. And if I bust my dusty old $10 pump giving it the "bobber" treatment I can always buy Borneo's $100 CyclePump.
occurs to me that I never posted a pic of the modified pump in the battery box
1003150917.jpg
I've used it a couple of times seems ok so far

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
I am tempted to forgo pneumatics all together.. Just need to remember to keep weight over the forks... images-4.jpeg

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've used the Slime mini-pump...they call it a tire-topping pump. They're cheap but they don't last long. I've burned out two; I think I might have used each of them for a total of 30 minutes or so. Not all at once.

I still have two. I haven't found a place to carry them on the TW, yet; and I haven't rigged a cigarette-lighter plug socket up yet. Something to do this winter.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't rigged a cigarette-lighter plug socket up yet. Something to do this winter.
Not a great fan of the cigarette lighter plug since my kids discovered how well coins fit in there. BMWs come with another odd plug. I switch them all to the standard 2 prong power plug. Same one that battery tender uses. Smaller, easier, cheaper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts