TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
Below is a picture of a mini CO2 system/pack that I was given for Christmas. I have no idea on what to expect in the use of these little guys. Hopefully, I'll never have to tear a tire down and repair a flat out in the outback some place. But, if I did, and the tube was completely empty of air, just what can I expect from these little C02's? I mean, in terms of psi, with a dead empty tube, what will 1 do? Then the second one? Third? and finally the fourth, if needed?
\
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Here. I googled it for you

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes but it won’t last long. It will take you home but your tire will be flat or semi, the next day. They are not designed to replace regular air.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the "google" application. Yeah, I saw that too. But, my inquiry was for folks that have actually done it or used them and what was their results. Advertisers can say anything to sell their product. But, it's REAL folks that convey the real results.

And, not sure about the statement that it won't last and the tires will be either flat or real low in psi the next day, after the use of these. The reason I say this is because, I utilize a C02 system for our Jeep when we air the tires up after a day on the trails. The tank is a 10# Aluminum C02 with a fixed pressure regulator. We run 10 psi in 35" tires for the trail and, 28-30 psi for street driving. At the end of the trail, I fill my 35's up to 28-30 for the drive home. The next day, they're still at 28-30, as they are for days afterwards.

So, this is why I'm wondering why an M/C tire would deflate. Yes, I know C02 comes out real cold from its container. But, it turns from a liquid to a gas as it leaves it's container and should not shrink or, find its way out of a tire.
Scott

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have used them (too many) times. A couple will get you off the trail and I have never noticed a drop in pressure. Typically you can’t/ don’t carry enough cartridges so you service the tire first opp. this might explain the never noticed.
I like the co2 as they are compact and rugged and last indefinitely, but for a large volume TW rear tire you had better bring a six pack.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a CO2 kit for my motorcycles but I've never had to use it. I also carry a hand pump. I have used a CO2 inflator on a 26" mt bike tire and it took two cartridges to get the tire ridable. It wasn't as full as I like it but it was full enough to ride. I'd guess it would take at least 3 and probably 4 to fill the rear TW tire.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
As Willys states they do work but from experience many cartridges are needed. Plan on three minimum for the rear if the tube has been patched, two would likely be enough for the front tire to limp home on. Also never observed the mentioned pressure loss due to the CO2, just pressure loss due to a hole in the tube.:cool:
I no longer carry my CO2 kit but rather have gone back to a 12v air pump.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thank all of you for your reply and experience. While this (the C02 kit) was gift, I'll keep it as a form of a backup or, possibly front line air-up and, I'm gonna purchase a small 12V air compressor I can carry either in a back pack or, maybe in a sealed box of some sort on the T-dub. We'll see. Always good to collect valuable info and experience on here!
Scott

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey gang,
Below is a picture of a mini CO2 system/pack that I was given for Christmas. I have no idea on what to expect in the use of these little guys. Hopefully, I'll never have to tear a tire down and repair a flat out in the outback some place. But, if I did, and the tube was completely empty of air, just what can I expect from these little C02's? I mean, in terms of psi, with a dead empty tube, what will 1 do? Then the second one? Third? and finally the fourth, if needed?
\
Scott
WARNING GUYS. About 8 years ago I was working in Tracey California. I drove from Pa as I hate to fly and several other reasons. One was I took my mountain bike. I have used those CO2’s form many years. I had one on the back of my Volkswagen hatchback, and I guess the temp went to 100 or so. That little canister blew up, blew out my back window, we found it 50 or 60 yards away. THIS IS NOT SOMETHING I HEARD ABOUT. IT HAPPENED TO ME. I don’t often post here, but I felt a great need this time. You guys and girls riding in very hot environments be advised. My experience was probably caused by the sun shining through the window But I just had to say something

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WARNING GUYS. About 8 years ago I was working in Tracey California. I drove from Pa as I hate to fly and several other reasons. One was I took my mountain bike. I have used those CO2’s form many years. I had one on the back of my Volkswagen hatchback, and I guess the temp went to 100 or so. That little canister blew up, blew out my back window, we found it 50 or 60 yards away. THIS IS NOT SOMETHING I HEARD ABOUT. IT HAPPENED TO ME. I don’t often post here, but I felt a great need this time. You guys and girls riding in very hot environments be advised. My experience was probably caused by the sun shining through the window But I just had to say something
I definitely appreciate the heads up on the potential for lethal missiles here. I don't know that much about them and, as long as both them and I have been around, I've never really had anything that used them, BB guns or anything else. So, this is my first potential use of them. I realize that they can handle only a certain amount of heat so, I'll definitely do what it takes to protect them in all my riding and operating conditions. Thanks again.
Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts