TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... do you remove your mirrors when going off road? What do you do with them. I usually ride several miles on public roads before I get to the area for off road riding. I have to go under several tubed Forest Service gates to get to the area. I would like to remove my mirrors to make it easier. But then what? Re- attach them or store them in a backpack till I finish my ride?. What's your thoughts?....

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Don't crash and you won't have to worry about them. :p. I don't remove mine when riding off-road. They do make mirrors that can handle crashes.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
The TW is one bike I have not had issues with the mirrors getting in the way, besides dragging the bike under a gate on a FSR.
I put a double take mirror on the WR with a RAM mount so it could fold out of the way.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Several buddies have MSR folding mirrors on their bikes. Cheapest place to purchase is Rocky Mountain ATV. The MSR seem to be reasonable quality while being much cheaper than Doubletake mirrors. Those Doubletake mirrors are really nice though

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeppers... looking at the DoubleTake mirrors are sweet... But oh so expensive... might just have to splurge...lol...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
The Ken Sean dual sport folding mirrors are also a good cheap option. They have a Yamaha right side specific one too. I've been using them for years. The ball joint makes them nearly indestructible since they will just push out of the way in any direction if contacted.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I like having mirrors on the back roads/trails - I like to know if a dirt biker is coming up on me (hard to believe this happens on the Dub) or if a bear is coming w/o having to turn my head......how terrifying would this be? See link

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not a matter of crashing...lol... It's having to tip my TW200 on it's side to get under that stupid gate... If I only had one mirror it would be a breeze. That second mirror is a killer for me... I'm just getting' too old for that can of nonsense.... lmao...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'd cut the leg off a old pair of pants & store them in that. Slide one in & fold the pant leg & slide the other in to keep them from getting dinged together .
I do that when hauling my prospecting gear to keep it from all rattling together.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
It's a matter having to tip my TW200 on it's side to get under that stupid gate... If I only had one mirror it would be a breeze. That second mirror is a killer for me.
Check your states DMV motorcycle code. Often only one mirror is required for a motorcycle. Although sometimes states require your vehicle have everything that it came with from the factory. But you could always cite the code section which only requires one mirror to the officer or judge.

I'd suggest keeping the left hand mirror as we are usually in the far right lane. I've no idea why that is. :confused:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not trying to be judgmental (I have enough directed at me), but what gates are so many of you needing to pull your bikes under? Around here, nothing hurts access to land like unauthorized riding (motorcycle, ATV or side by side). Again, not judgmental, just curious what these locked gates are blocking. I find myself getting cross country travel stopped by gates not marked on maps, and I have to find another convoluted route around on the fly. Happened twice on the last 95 mile ride. What a pain. Is it normal/accepted to just go through anyway if the gates are remote? Or on public land? Other times?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not trying to be judgmental (I have enough directed at me), but what gates are so many of you needing to pull your bikes under? Around here, nothing hurts access to land like unauthorized riding (motorcycle, ATV or side by side). Again, not judgmental, just curious what these locked gates are blocking. I find myself getting cross country travel stopped by gates not marked on maps, and I have to find another convoluted route around on the fly. Happened twice on the last 95 mile ride. What a pain. Is it normal/accepted to just go through anyway if the gates are remote? Or on public land? Other times?
Around my parts most of what used to be riding areas owned by timber companies are now gated to prevent access & in some cases a access permit may be purchased & a key is issued. They closed the lands because of illegal dumping, shooting range slobs & at different times of the year for fire danger.
They have people who drive around & check permits & will issue citations if you're trespassing.
Forest service roads are open on main lines with some areas gated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where I ride the signs states that motorcycles and bicycles are OK just not jeeps and 4x4's that tear everything up. That is why the gates don't allow those vehicles but make it a little challenging for motorcycles... I am perfectly legal where I ride... If it states closed to ALL vehicles then i ride elsewhere...

·
Registered
323 Posts
I bought the double take mirrors. Very well made, maybe not worth as much as paid for, but they do stay put, don't vibrate any more than stock, and they fold out of harms way behind the my Jimbo Cafe Windscreen. I knew I would be losing the stock mirrors in a fall eventually so I took them off and put them in a box with some of the other takeoffs.

·
Registered
13,734 Posts
I like having mirrors on the back roads/trails - I like to know if a dirt biker is coming up on me (hard to believe this happens on the Dub) or if a bear is coming w/o having to turn my head......how terrifying would this be? See link

The cute cuddly teddy bear was thinking the mountain biker was a drive thru lunch. Or breakfast, or dinner.:D

·
Super Moderator
18,069 Posts
I'd be screaming my lungs off...

The cute cuddly teddy bear was thinking the mountain biker was a drive thru lunch. Or breakfast, or dinner.:D

Reactions: admiral
1 - 20 of 20 Posts