TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2013 TW a few weeks ago and there's a lot of things about it that I like. One thing I didn't really care for however is the two Jack Beanstalk mirrors that are original equipment on the bike. Thinking about an inexpensive solution I removed them. The right side mirror has a
left hand thread, not so easy to deal with, but I really only need one. I took the lock nut to Menards and determined the thread to be 10mm-1.25
and luckily they had a small die in that size for about $3. I cut the mirror shaft at 3 1/4" from the bend with a hacksaw and threaded it about 3/4"
with the die. The die fits into a 1" socket and worked easily with a ratchet after I filed a good bevel on the cut end and cut the hard chrome
plated surface with coarse sand paper. Cutting oil helps greatly when threading. I turned the mirror 180 degrees to face opposite from original
and mounted it. Works great and lets me see past my left arm. An inexpensive solution. I'll add a pic if I can figure out how.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I applaud your ingenuity.

Are you able to see past your shoulder when using the mirror?

Procycle sells an adapter that turns your right side mirror receptacle into a right hand thread if you wanted to do the same thing on the other side.
Thanks for the compliment. The mirror only clears my hand by an inch or so, the way I like it, so the view is past my arm and is not up to shoulder level. I
figured there were thread adapters to be had for the left hand thread or the hole could be drilled out and rethreaded but I have been riding for almost 50
years and always removed mirrors and rode without any until the last 2-3 yrs. It's a natural tendency for me to glance at the left mirror so for now I'll
probably just stick to one.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Another member suggested the mirrors below in my profile . about $30 and work REAL well seeing behind your shoulders .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts