TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is worse then a hip replacement? Sue and I lost our house a few years ago to fire.:( this got me thinking just how bad this circumstance was! We compiled a list of tragic circumstances worse then our own. Surprisingly the list was quite long. By the time we finished the list we were glad that it was only a house fire were we lost everything. :D It made us feel better. What is worse then total hip replacement? Dirts a Flyen SanDue

·
Registered
187 Posts
What is worse then a hip replacement? Sue and I lost our house a few years ago to fire.:( this got me thinking just how bad this circumstance was! We compiled a list of tragic circumstances worse then our own. Surprisingly the list was quite long. By the time we finished the list we were glad that it was only a house fire were we lost everything. :D It made us feel better. What is worse then total hip replacement? Dirts a Flyen SanDue
Not being able to get one when you need it?

·
Registered
928 Posts
There's a guy at work that had both of his replaced at the same time. Doc made him wait, "until you can't take the pain anymore". Dude made it 2 years before finally breaking down and saying, "Fix the damned things or shoot me!". So... you could be in severe pain for several years. Good news is as soon as the surgery healed, he says he feels fantastic. 100% better. He walks all over the place ever since.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Dan, many things are worse than hip replacement. I don't care to list them because it can be so depressing. Your hip replacement is just a curveball of life and I'm confident with Sue's help you will hit it out of the park! When is it happening?
From where you are coming from a hip replacement is a walk in the park. Thanks. Dirts a Flyen SanDue

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Nice posts, makes me count my blessings and feel sheepish when whining about minor complaints. I feel lucky and blessed at times.
I imagine the pain endured and the apprehension leading up to a major surgery can often be worse the the post-op recovery. None of it is fun but restoring mobility is something positive to look forward too. With the support of Super Sue I am confident Dan will get that dirt flying again soon. Best wishes!

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
"What is worse that a total hip replacement?"...This and last night's solo ride discussions got me thinking of a few watershed near death experiences. One entailed having to repeatedly dive back into a imminent injury or death situation in order to save another's life. To have not taken action and watch another die would have been worse, a scar of shame that would last a lifetime.

·
Super Moderator
5,263 Posts
As I think you're starting to find out, there are far worse things that could have happened to you, many of them “unfixable” …….

What you have to consider now, is your partner – Sue

Be strong my friend – firstly for her – secondly for yourself – and last, for all of us who care about you ……………..

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
That you folks gave me a few likes is perhaps un-deserved for the near death situation was entirely my fault. I was attempting to woo the most beautiful girl I had ever seen, a Swedish blond teen in the tiniest bikini imaginable I stumbled upon on the beach after 3 weeks camping in the bush. My horniness almost got us killed and provided a wake-up to feminine qualities beyond sex appeal. We naturally fell in love, got together back in the states and toured the western US until her visa expired never to see her again as she found another beu back home:(. Life goes on, I continued my "Girls-of-the-World" shenanigans until meeting my precious Brazilian bride. So I really did nothing heroic.

·
Super Moderator
5,263 Posts
Nope – I “liked” that post because you did what you believed in – don’t matter to me who started it, it’s how one man finishes it that counts ………….

“To have not taken action and watch another die would have been worse, a scar of shame that would last a lifetime”.

That’s what I “liked” about that post …………….

·
Super Moderator
18,066 Posts
As I think you're starting to find out, there are far worse things that could have happened to you, many of them “unfixable” …….

What you have to consider now, is your partner – Sue

Be strong my friend – firstly for her – secondly for yourself – and last, for all of us who care about you ……………..
Nicely said Sir.

Reactions: SanDue and Fred

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Final thread hijack: Turns out that Swedish girl was a natural on two wheels, she quickly learned to ride my bikes and enjoyed carving my KDX through the woods Not so for the YZ..."Fraed, eeezz hard to turn when front wheel in air".

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
What is worse than a hip replacement? The attitude you have when you go to sign up for that. I did a lot of really hairy life or death surgery when I was in practice, and I always talked to my patients that there are two ways to look at these situations. You can cry and complain and moan."Why me? Why does this have to happen to me? What did I do to deserve this?" Or, you can say, "Thank God I have something that can be fixed. Thank God that somebody can fix this for me." And just get it done and then get on with the rest of your life, thankful that there was a solution to your problem and it was discovered in time to deal with it and you got better. Half of the recovery is related to the mental attitude and outlook you have before you go into the OR. Don't complain about a hip replacement, say thanks to the guy that did it for you. Same for a coronary bypass or having your head opened up. Just like saying thanks to the guy that fixed your motorcycle.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
What is worse than a hip replacement? The attitude you have when you go to sign up for that. I did a lot of really hairy life or death surgery when I was in practice, and I always talked to my patients that there are two ways to look at these situations. You can cry and complain and moan."Why me? Why does this have to happen to me? What did I do to deserve this?" Or, you can say, "Thank God I have something that can be fixed. Thank God that somebody can fix this for me." And just get it done and then get on with the rest of your life, thankful that there was a solution to your problem and it was discovered in time to deal with it and you got better. Half of the recovery is related to the mental attitude and outlook you have before you go into the OR. Don't complain about a hip replacement, say thanks to the guy that did it for you. Same for a coronary bypass or having your head opened up. Just like saying thanks to the guy that fixed your motorcycle.
All this time I thought my insurance company sent the thank you letter? Trust me when I say if I could get the insurance company to send the thank you's to the motorcycle repairman I would:D

Tom

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Who's complaining about a hip replacement? I'm delighted that I'm receiving one are you kidding? This thread is about each of use counting our blessings. Similar to what TWilite said that someone thinks they have it tough because they have no shoes until they notice someone with no feet! So why would I have a poor attitude that is about to change my life for the better. I'm overjoyed. Did you read the the thread from the beginning? Dirts a Flyen in the Hospital. SanDue. U wanna see attitude I'll raffle the "Bone Ball" they cut off at Moab. :p:eek:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Who's complaining about a hip replacement? I'm delighted that I'm receiving one are you kidding? This thread is about each of use counting our blessings. Similar to what TWilite said that someone thinks they have it tough because they have no shoes until they notice someone with no feet! So why would I have a poor attitude that is about to change my life for the better. I'm overjoyed. Did you read the the thread from the beginning? Dirts a Flyen in the Hospital. SanDue. U wanna see attitude I'll raffle the "Bone Ball" they cut off at Moab. :p:eek:
It did sound to me that you were complaining a little, but I wasn't really picking on you. I was pointing out there's at least two ways to look at any particular situation, and you get out of it what your attitude is going into it.
Best wishes and good luck with your surgery, and after a little bit of recovery and physical effort, you'll be a lot better off and happier when it all heals up. Hopefully you'll still be able to throw your leg over the top of the TW and go for a ride. And, remember, you will be stopped every time you go through airport security. A small price to pay for feeling better without pain for the rest of your life.:):icon_thumbright::eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
357 Posts
nope – i “liked” that post because you did what you believed in – don’t matter to me who started it, it’s how one man finishes it that counts ………….

“to have not taken action and watch another die would have been worse, a scar of shame that would last a lifetime”.

That’s what i “liked” about that post …………….
this.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The surgery went well. Two days into recovery and I'm "walking" with a walker down to physical therapy. I'm re-thinking that old saying that hard work never hurt anyone. It hurts like the "big dog". hahaha. This to shall pass. Im participating in a group physical therapy and most all are knee surgeries which I soon noticed are more painful then the hips. So again I count it as a blessing. Sorry everyone, looks like we're going to Moab. Dirts a Flyen SanDue

1 - 20 of 42 Posts