TW200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been completely restoring my bw80 and when I pulled the head I noticed there is no head gasket! I have not pulled the cylinder yet but I see that it does have the base gasket. I know there is supposed to be a head gasket on there but it has been running since I bought it without one. Is there anything wrong with not running a head gasket? I am about to order one, But just curious, does it effect performance? I am new to 2strokes and have been taking it apart cleaning/inspecting and reassembling to learn more about them.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Running without one would increase the compression ratio. No way it would be worth the risk of potential sealing problems or predetonation.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks LB. I was thinking maybe the p.o. didn't put one on to raise compression instead of milling the head. Strangely enough I found an unused one in the box of spare parts. This lead me to believe he may have simply forgotten to put it on working in a hurry. After cleaning out the ports and muffler i'm putting it back together now. It's a real pain to get the rings compressed to re-install the piston. It got late so I will try the zip-tie method tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts