TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2012 tw200
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll, new to the tw forums but not new to dirt bikes/dual sports by any means. Just picked up an incredibly clean 200 mile 2012 tdub last weekend and have already gone down the rabbit hole doing some modifications to the bike.

A little background, I'm based out of the SF bay area and my company is the main west coast distributor for Mitas tires (we also sell directly to the public). After reading up about the questionable stock front TW tire, I figured I would try out one of our many 18" options on the new bike.

I had it narrowed down between the E-09 (20on/80off) in 4.10-18, MC23 (40on/60off) in 120/90-18 and ET-01 4.00-18 (super soft compound). We also have the super popular E-07 and E-07+ in factory tw size (130/80-18) but they are heavily reinforced rear tires weighing in at a whopping 17lbs which was a no go for me. Here are some pics of the three.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Synthetic rubber

Here are some weight comparisons off the top of my head for those who may be interested:

stock TW203 = 8ish lbs
E-09 4.10-18 = 10.5lbs
MC23 120/90-18 = 11.2lbs
ET-01 4.00-18 = 14.2lbs

I ended up settling on the MC23 rock rider in 120/90-18 after comparing tread patterns and weights for various Mitas models. The E-09 is a bit too dirt oriented for my riding and the ET-01 apparently wears out pretty quickly because it is a TRUE trials tire and is NHS. Both the MC23 and E-09 are DOT approved btw.

Here's the MC23 after install. Went on easily and looks to be a great fit for my riding style and is a touch more off road oriented than a true 50/50.

Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

I've put about 20 miles on it so far ripping around town with little to no dirt available in my area and it tracks great, corners well. I'm heading down to Alabama hills next week where I can really put it to the test out in the desert. I will report back with my findings. Hope ya'll enjoy!

·
Registered
2017 TW200
4 Posts
Nice bike! I’ll be interested to hear how the MC-23’s road manners are. I’ve been looking into replacement front options, the Bridgestone AX41, Anakee Wild and of course the go-to 241. I don’t plan to do a lot of high speed riding but will do the odd 10-15 min run at 90-100k and have read some stories about wobble and tank slapped that don’t really interest me.

·
Registered
2012 tw200
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far the MC23 handles great on road. My tw has just shy of 300 miles on it, so I don't push it very hard and haven't taken it on the freeway at all. That being said, once it's all warmed up I've done some pulls up to 60mph without any ill effect. No death wobble and is surprisingly smooth. My wife has a 1991 TW with a sr241 front and it feels almost the same.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Cool to see a vendor, or at least, a vendors rep involved here. It will be interesting to see how the tire works. Nice to seek alternatives.

I understand that Mitas are inexpensive in Europe, and therefore very popular. I only wish they were as inexpensive here. Thinking about an E07 for my beemer, but just can't get around the price point.

·
Registered
2012 tw200
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got back from a pretty epic trip to Alabama Hills. The MC23 was super solid and I did punch out a few miles on various terrain. It ended up being super windy most days so we weren't able to ride as hard as we wanted.

Tire pressure was set at approximately 10psi all around. The sidewall is a bit stiff since it is a rear tire, but that's pretty much the case for ANY tw size front tire except for the OE bridgestone. I had no issues losing the bead and felt 100% confident running that pressure. When installing the MC23, I had to take it up to 70-80 psi to get the bead to seat so that also helped confirm that lower front tire pressures shouldn't be an issue.

The first couple days were mostly just hard pack dirt roads with sand. Obviously it handle the hard pack just fine as pretty much any tire would. Sand performance was ok not amazing...not surprising considering the knob profile and spacing. Compared to a sr241 the shinko was much more solid in the sand. The third riding day we did some semi technical hill climb-y type terrain where the MC23 totally kicked ass. Lots of sharp rocks and off camber 4x4 roads where it stuck to the trail like glue. It's quite literally called the ROCK RIDER for a reason. Day 3 was finished off with about 5 miles of freeway ripping which confirmed the very solid on road handling characteristics I had mentioned before. Bouncing between 5-60mph felt great with absolutely no death wobble or shakes even at low PSI.

Here's the only pic I got before my phone died unfortunately. I suck at taking photos while riding but I will add more photo as I get them from some of my buddies.

Cloud Sky Automotive tire Motorcycle Wheel

·
Registered
2012 tw200
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
yes, that's a 1990 MY that my friend picked up for cheap on our way to grab my 2012. One of the first things we noticed was that older rear tire without the center line.

One 4.10-18 e-09 sent out to dane_the_meng this am. anyone else wanna try out the other one? I've got one left.

·
Registered
2017 TW200
4 Posts
Well I think I’ve got it down to the MC23 or the AX41. Based on your review and what I want to do I think I’m leaning towards the MC23, but man that’s an expensive tire up here in Canada! $189 vs $145 for the AX41.

·
Registered
2012 tw200
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well I think I’ve got it down to the MC23 or the AX41. Based on your review and what I want to do I think I’m leaning towards the MC23, but man that’s an expensive tire up here in Canada! $189 vs $145 for the AX41.
if you want to try a 110/80-18 which is a hair smaller than stock, I am happy to make you a deal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts