TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still unpacking and licking our wounds.

With over 350 photos and 40 hours of video, it will take a while to put forth my usual type of ride report. However, here is a little preview.

Quick Snippet of the fun and excitment we encountered

Pre-departure

Arrived at North Camp

Day 1-Preparations :p

Day 1-Morning Ride- Sovereign ATV Trail

Day 1-afternoon ride Arches loop

Day 2 Seven Mile Rim Trail

Day 3-Onion Creek

Day 4-Metal Masher Trail

Day 5-Potash/Shafer/Canyonlands ride

Day 6-Spring Canyon/Hey Joe Canyon

Day 7-Dome Plateau and Top of the World

Day 8-Hidden Canyon Rim Trail

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Most excellent Moab pics. With 40 hours of video guess who we'll be looking to for entertainment when things get boring on-line.
I think Admiral went on adventurous rides every day with other talented mis-fits so we shall have something to look forward to with his future posts.:icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for the photos, Admiral. Those are some of my all-time favorite trails! I wish I could have made it down for the fun.
I'm happily jealous.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Here's the group photos from the groupie photo taker.... :)

DSCN0793 (800x600).jpg
Idaho Larry, Kris, Kyle, Washington Larry, myself, Wandering Larry, and Jeff - Metal Masher

DSCN0859 (800x600).jpg
Wes, Kris, Myself, Arrowsmith, Wandering Larry, GHDAVE - Upheaval Dome area (I think)

DSCN0874 (800x600).jpg
Arrowsmith, Wes, Bob, Kris, GHDave, Myself, Idaho Larry, Wandering Larry - Grand View Point Overlook

DSCN1005 (800x600).jpg
Landor, Idaho Larry, Kris, Paul, Jeff, Washington Larry, Myself - Top of the World

DSCN1054 (800x600).jpg
Washington Larry, Cooper Landing Shannon, Eckhart, Kris, Myself, Wandering Larry, Idaho Larry - Hidden Canyon

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Cool Pics. Me and the Mrs enjoyed meeting you guys in Moab!

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Day 1, 10 March. Today about 9 of us ride the Sovereign ATV Trail in the morning and with a few rider changes ride an Arches Loop led by WaLarry.

Prior to the ride I caught WaLarry making totally illegal improvements to his TW which made him ride much faster than the rest of us. Pretty sure he was installing the power boosting skid plate here. No one should be allowed to modify their TW right before a ride and make the rest of us look bad!:D

The A.M. riders are: Bananachunks, GHDave, Plumbstraight, TWilight, WaLarry, IdLarry, Bob76, myself (Admiral).

And a special star, Stig who sometimes rode the "MosquitoSprayersaki"!

We started from Archview

GHDave flashing by

Bob and WaLarry waving at me. At least I think he's waving, right?:p

You can see Plumb and Bananachunks are not pleased with WaLarry's mod. I do all I can to lead us on the "slow path of safety"!

After a sandy start, we start hitting the fun part of the trail.

I was thinking I'd see Wilma and Betty somewhere around these parts

IdLarry on a break

Later that morning...this is probably the trickest part of the trail. Little loose dirt & rocks catch your attention. Bottom up R to Left (Bananachunks, Plumb, IdLarry, GHDave, & Bob.

Moab '16 Day 1 A.M. Sovereign ATV Loop 1/2

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After some tremendously grueling riding, we finally hit the slickrock portion of the Sovereign ATV Loop. You feel like your entering another universe when you ride on this for the first time!

We stuck to the marked trail part of the slickrock. I believe the rules which were on a sign we didn't read, allow you to ride all around the slickrock not just on the marked portion. However, be sure to check the rules before venturing into the unknown.

Moab '16 Day 1 A.M. Sovereign Slickrock 2/2 video.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Plumbstraight; now that you're wearing a full-face helmet - you need to let your beard grow longer. Suspenders or not; it just doesn't seem like you without getting the full effect. j
Yes had it trimmed a bit as last year I picked up a half pound of dust on each ride. As I am headed for hippyville aka, Slabcity or Quarsite this fall I will let it grow till then. Heck maybe even some braids and beads lol.

When I put on my dew rag that was skull adorned and a leather jacket at Moab for dinner, the question was "where is your Harley" lol.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Looks like he used the helmet as a guide for the beard trimmer! :)

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Sand Roller Coaster! Day 1, 10 March, the afternoon ride.

This afternoon, WaLarry with his power boosting skidplate led us on a loop through a portion of Arches N.P. Disclaimer: You have to be on a legally licensed street motorcycle to ride this loop. No dirtbikes or ATV's (darn). Oh, and you should be a card carrying National Park Pass member or equivalent. On the record!:D

We slightly switched up the riders for this afternoon's tour. Morning riders riding were: Myself, WaLarry, IdLarry, Plumb, Bob, Bananachunks, Jeff replaced TWilight who I think had K.P. in the afternoon.

And Stig had to ride Wilbur the licensed TW in place of the Mosquitosprayersaki.

Departed North Camp at the crack of afternoon on Willow Springs rd and headed straight for the bathrooms at Balanced Rock. Balanced Rock is cool as is everything in and around Moab.

Panned back for your LaSal Mountain in the background enjoyment

After a short ride on the pavement, WaLarry leads us up the Salt Wash rd to the "unimproved road". In one of the video's of this portion I refer to this road as the "Sand Roller Coaster". YeeHaw!

Bananachunks knows what he's doing in this picture. To me he looks likes he's doing some kind of TW Ninja Dance.:p
I know Bananchunks has recently put back on his commuter tires after Moab, but these tires do look adventurous don't they!

From the top of the rock hill, you can see the sandy trail down below.

Tower Arch area. You need to take a short in & out detour and go see Tower Arch.

Tower Arch.
It was late in the afternoon and we were riding not sightseeing. Next time in Moab I'd like to spend a little more time hiking to some of the sights.

Even the turn around at Tower Arch is scenic!

A couple miscellaneous photos from our 3 hour tour.

Nearer our reconnection, you can see the Stig looks very happy to be riding Wilbur. You can tell by the look of his goggles!:p

And just like that, the first day of riding was over.

To be continued, Day 2, 7 Mile Rim!

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In editing video's for the Moab rides, I tried to make multiple SHORTER video's so you don't get too bored. View one and come back later to view more. Hope you enjoy.

Day 1, Afternoon video's. Balanced Rock and the Sand Roller Coaster.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Very nice videos Admiral. I too enjoyed the sand roller coaster areas around Marching Men, Tower Arch and Eye-of-tghe-Whale Arch. Good place to perfect sand riding techniques. There are more remote arches out there too worth getting off the bikes and hiking to. Too little time to visit all of any area we visited...good excuse to come back, right?

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Too little time to visit all of any area we visited...good excuse to come back, right?
You got that right!:p. I really enjoyed the variety of rides this year. All the way from the harder trails like Metal Masher & Top of the World to the easier but very scenic Onion Creek and Island in the Sky.

All I can say about the area is WOW! We are so fortunate!

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Day 2-Courthouse Rock to Uranium Arch. 7 Mile Rim trail ride part I.

Today we departed for a ride on 7 Mile Rim with 13 TW riders (Admiral, Danny (OK), James (KS), Brit, WaLarry, IdLarry, WonderingLarry, Bryson, MoutainRedBelly, Jeff, Fred, TWilgitht, Bananachunks).

And the Stig on the Mosquitosprayersaki! :p

We started at the Courthouse Rock entrance to the MM Trail instead of the traditional climb up the rough switchbacks at the marked spot.

This way up is a nice introduction to slickrock

Once up on the pasture area we could see one of our future destinations, Monitor & Merrimac Butte's. But these will come later.

Fred repair's his rack during a break in the action

Bryson explaining how great the TW's suspension is

Maybe not!

Lots of trails in the neighborhood, but we have signs to lead us.

We're getting close to the arch. Great fun riding

Uranium Arch. What it's all about!

Moving proof we rode to it.

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very nice videos Admiral. I too enjoyed the sand roller coaster areas around Marching Men, Tower Arch and Eye-of-tghe-Whale Arch. Good place to perfect sand riding techniques. There are more remote arches out there too worth getting off the bikes and hiking to. Too little time to visit all of any area we visited...good excuse to come back, right?
Ah, names to those thingy places I saw! Thanks.:D

1 - 20 of 161 Posts