TW200 Forum banner

What is your riding level, or what are your intentions in Moab?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those going to Moab... what is your riding level, or what are your intentions in Moab?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'm going there to relax and meet new friends, Seeing some new country, spending each day riding or kicking back as I feel. Vacation means enjoying the time. Taking on the toughest trails or trying to keep up will be on the back burner this trip. We are having families with some experienced, some first time out. Would rather take on some easy rides with first timers to help where I can. Loved that rim ride last year, but would like to do some slick rock that I missed last year. Just some nice easy putting will do nicely this year.

After the month and a half with those kidney stones it sure took the p and vinegar out of me a bit.

We had talked of some shooting competition. Anyone still up for that if there is a local range?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfectly said, plumb. With the recent talk over in the main Moab thread, I thought this might be a fun poll. :laughing9: The information may be useful to the "planners" too.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TWlight, rumor has it that Mrs. Admiral will also be back in Moab, so you should not expect to keep clean bike with her around! :D

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I consider myself an intermediate rider on the WR, but on the TW all good sense goes out the window and I will try most trails.
Low seat height, low end grunt, good traction (Duro mount this weekend) - what can go wrong :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Ha, ha. Having viewed the results, I now think the Admiral is secretly a Rhode Island Democrat..."vote early and vote often!"
He's cast more ballots than my local cemetery!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I voted novice...
But plan on some intermediate too. I enjoy just putting along but want to experience Moab and it won't be as fun if don't challenge myself!
I love watching the videos but it's hard to judge the difficulty of the trail. I really like the idea of the big group ride on first day, as kind of a " feeler" get- aquianted ride....

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Ha, ha. Having viewed the results, I now think the Admiral is secretly a Rhode Island Democrat..."vote early and vote often!"
He's cast more ballots than my local cemetery!

That funny. I don't take bribes so I don't think I can be a Rhode Island Democrat, but depending on the bribe, I could give it a shot!

What! :dontknow: I voted for all of them because in the second part of the poll it asked what my intentions are in Moab. The poll limited it to riding level but not all of my intentions in Moab are listed. :laughing7: :eek:ccasion14: Riding wise my intentions are to ride all those level's. :icon_albino:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well I suppose I should clarify!
ATV = I'm going where ever I am led! Bring on them bad ass trails and let me see if I can roll my 4 wheeler down a hill and use the winch to get myself back up. No helmet needed here!
TW = YIKES, I'm staying on the straight roads that don't have any turns, bumps, or possible places "Wilbur the pink pig" will decide to lay down and root around in the mud. Helmets are a must!
I do not plan on staying in camp....unless The Admiral grounds me...which won't happen because I'm slightly uncontrollable so he doesn't even try to.

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
When Admiral said:"Riding wise my intentions are to ride all those level's. :icon_albino:" My devious mind immediately morphed that into "Ride Wise", as in ride with a realistic attitude about ability and stamina, stay alert and thus stay healthy and happy. Not a bad motto to live by, or at least to survive a week in Moab. I'll be enjoying all levels of riding intensity from Mel's Diner to Hell's Revenge. I only listed Advanced because somebody has to keep an eye on that Fred guy.

Some of the nasty sections on famous trails have by-passes to avoid the worst obstacles which can thus make an advanced trail ridable with only intermediate skills. You'll probably be seeing me often take these to preserve stamina for a week or more of daily rides.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Only reason I didn't go with advanced rider is because I have seen trial riders do their thing. I will never be at that level, nor would hopping around on one tire light my fire. Still have the mind of a kid, but having to add another year in April, I have to act my age, a hard one to accept. Will just have to see if the body is still up to the wants of the kid inside. Only 200cc's makes a lot of sense, the rocks don't hit so hard as they do when on a 650.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I put Advanced but I expected it was relative; otherwise I'd respond the same as pumpstraight. I'm no trials rider but I'm decent.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have offered in the past, but did not get alot of interest but....if some of the advanced riders want to ride one of the classic Moab trails, I can lead a group on one of these Classics:

Moab Rim....Not too difficult except for one set of ledges that team work can get around. Great views Moab and the river.

Slick Rock Trail: The Ultimate Moab Trail! This is where it all started. Has a short practice loop to try it out first if you want... A must ride trail if you are up to it. About 11 miles and about 3hours at a leisurely pace.
Some steep parts but teamwork can get us past the harder parts. Easy to transfer into Hells Revenge and over to Hells Gate to watch the 4 wheelers poop their pants! Great place for lunch!

Poison Spider Mesa/ Golden Spike / Eagle's Roost /Golden Crack: Another Classic but much longer and physically demanding. At least 5 or 6 hours on the TWs, probably more....I do know a work around for the Crack as well...Bring lunch, snacks, and at least 3 liters of water....Once again teamwork to get the bikes thru the harder sections, which are many...but fatigue is the enemy on this ride....Either direction is fine with about 15 mile road drive back to camp coming down PS...

The first 2 rides I mentioned are much shorter, still challenging, but fatigue is not as big a problem. Most everyone should ride the slick rock trail to at least the start of the practice loop as this part is not too difficult and you can see what all the fuss is about!

I would be happy to guide one of these rides if there is any interest. I ride at a leisurely pace and I dont mind helping out, either pushin, pullin or riding someone's bike thru a tricky spot if asked to. Using teamwork to get everyone safely thru the hard parts is just part of the fun! Happy Trails!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts