Sunshine

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
^^^^ Good Reason to make the next trip to Moab in the Fall {2018) :eagerness:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I like a good weather thread. Yes I will be packing rain gear. It's a little early for the models to be accurate but they are showing a wet spring for the west. The frontal systems are lining up for rain every 4-5? days unless a big change happens. They show a big low over the Alutians on Monday 3/27 that could be over Utah by wensday / thursday and more lows tracking behind it. If you go to

http://weather.hawaii.edu/models/modelsanim.cgi?banner=uhmet&model=gfs&domain=npac&orient=horiz&param=precip&level=NaN&gfsanimduration=180&banner=uhmet&imgsize=Large

And run the animation you can see the forcasted patterns.

Screenshot_2017-03-20-07-20-11.png

Here is a forcasted rain acumulation for the next 10 days.

Screenshot_2017-03-20-07-31-41.png

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I forgot to mention the rain shown in CA and Utah east of the Pac high from earlier lows on the 27th and you can see a developing low east of Japan.

·
Registered
19,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have know a sailor would have a keen weather eye.;)
So Tweaker, just how high up a mast are you in your avatar photo?

Frontal systems moving through Moab have cooled things down from last week, not a SPF 50 day today current.jpg
Still the cooler weather has only slightly diminished the herds of tourists waiting to get into Arches National Park. This line typically extends many hundreds of cars out onto the highway and highlights the advantages of easy access into the park by the Willow Springs back door right from Dry Camp. Later in the day this line shrinks to only a few score vehicles. Sympathy for the Rangers as they have to collect and shoo everyone out for roadwork each evening while we are there.:( arch_traffic-2.jpg

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
That pic is from the top of an Andrews 68 sled. My guess is 81' not sure.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
You would think, if you knew me, that I was on vacation that week. I have an uncanny knack of taking vacations during the absolute worst weather weeks for the last 25 years. It would have been a complete disaster if Hoot, me and a few others had made the trip this year to Big Bend as planned. We got 28 inches of snow while I would have been in Texas and driving back home. I don't even get lucky taking a vacation in mid July and we have all but given up on any vacations that include outdoor activities as a theme.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
GaryL, please post your vacation times so the rest of us know when not to plan trips;)
LOL! YUP, the problem with that is when we take a week and go to Maine it rains all week there but was beautiful here at home. Seems like every time I dragged my boat up to Lake Ontario for Salmon fishing we spent most days riding around in the car because the lake had 5 foot waves from the west winds but it was nice on land and just away from the lake. We spent a week tent camping in the NY Adirondacks on Stillwater Reservoir and fortunately lived through a wild Microburst thunder storm that killed 3 campers and closed all roads in and out for 4 days. I went ice fishing about a month ago with 3 pals and the weather said Sunny, 30 degrees with light winds out of the west, perfect for our planned spot. We got all set up at the crack of dawn and then the winds turned around straight out of the north at about 30 MPH and it began snowing to beat the band and it never got to 15 degrees. YUP! I am a Jinks where ever weather is concerned and seems I have a dark cloud following me.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
You need to go where the weather is better GL, but don't come here.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
You need to go where the weather is better GL, but don't come here.
I was in San Diego back in the USN in the early 70s and fell in love with your weather and a few other things I found on Mission Beach. I was back again in 2003 and couldn't run out of there quick enough. Amazing what changes took place in 30 years but have no fear of me ever visiting again. I have actually considered planning a vacation and then going to that exact destination unannounced the week before or the week after.
Likewise with Salmon fishing, can't tell you how many times I heard "Should have been here last week" and the nicest day we had while there was the day we were packing to come home.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Boot camp in SD G?
I was in San Diego back in the USN in the early 70s and fell in love with your weather and a few other things I found on Mission Beach. I was back again in 2003 and couldn't run out of there quick enough. Amazing what changes took place in 30 years but have no fear of me ever visiting again. I have actually considered planning a vacation and then going to that exact destination unannounced the week before or the week after.
Likewise with Salmon fishing, can't tell you how many times I heard "Should have been here last week" and the nicest day we had while there was the day we were packing to come home.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,358 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Liberty Station ex NTC has a nice Stone Brewery in it and a great breakfast spot breakfast republic. GL I've seen 65 years of change its a little hard to take with @ 3.2 Million in the county and 1.5 in the city now, 2nd largest city in CA and 8th in the nation. Still I since I love the water I don't know where I would rather live. Maybe Figi LoL. Jk about visiting.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
Liberty Station ex NTC has a nice Stone Brewery in it and a great breakfast spot breakfast republic. GL I've seen 65 years of change its a little hard to take with @ 3.2 Million in the county and 1.5 in the city now, 2nd largest city in CA and 8th in the nation. Still I since I love the water I don't know where I would rather live. Maybe Figi LoL. Jk about visiting.
Back when I was 19-20 it was great to be in and around a new, warm and big city with a great beach and bay area. Thirty years later and a lot bigger and busier that area has taken a wildly bad hit. Sounds like this, you can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy. The hustle and bustle and crowded conditions are simply unappealing to this country boy who lives around no close neighbors and can shoot my rifles all day long in my back yard. I love the weather in SD but that's about it.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts