TW200 Forum banner

When should we plan it for next year?

• Before Jeep Week again...March 30-April 7

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • After the Jeeps...April 27-May 5

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Let's switch it up and go during Autumn!

Votes: 17 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yeah, I'll start it.

The Easter Jeep Safari in Moab starts the weekend before Easter and ends on Easter Sunday.

Easter 2015...April 5th (We were there approx. March 19-27, with really good weather and a couple cold nights)
Easter 2016...March 27th (We were there approx. March 10-18, with good weather and many cold nights)
Easter 2017...April 16th...if we keep the same trend of the week before the Jeeps, it would be March 30-April 7, the latest yet.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
We camped & rode in/around Moab last year, the 3rd week of Oct.
The weather could not have been better...coolish to warmish, no rain, all clear, no wind.
What a wonderful area!

·
Registered
266 Posts
The Moab weather is much more stable and predictable in the fall....
I agree the weather is nice in the fall. I would also say the weather for many types of trips in many states is great in September. Which may cause people to choose another trip location. What I like about April is while many northern states are still warming up Moab has at least OK weather then. Plus April is a good time for vacation since there are not many other bike event choices going on yet. Since I live in Utah I would probable attend either date. I would even support a Spring Misfit gathering and a Fall. so we don't have to wait a year.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If we can do this in the fall, I'll have saved up enough vacation to drive out, spend the week riding, then drive back home. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Me and 2 riding buddies were at Arches NP mid to late September of 2013. I can tell you it POURED as in Noah, build an ark. It was amazing as the plants seemed to turn instantly green within minutes of that soaker. Like usual out west you can see the thunderstorms and sometimes avoid them and sometimes not. We got soaked there then it passed on. We left Arches near dark and found the rain again as we neared Fruita, CO where we spent the night. It rained all that night and pretty much all the next day as we meandered our way to Denver. Anyhow, just saying you can have rain that time of year too. I'll put a couple of pix to show what I mean.

CAM00595[1].jpg

CAM00450[1].jpg

Below is the muddy "flash flood" river
CAM00463[1].jpg

And here's where I tipped the rock over in 2013. You folks that were there in 2014, did they put that back up before ya'll got there? Not sure how they'd do it but it was fun tipping it over.
CAM00485[1].jpg

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I was really happy with the March weather and I was sure it would have been too cold but the temps were perfect to wear protective gear w/o sweating. October is too close to winter months for mountain travel I would be nervous about the 1400 mile trip from my place that time of year

Are the poll dates correct we were not there March 30th to April 7th unless I haven't left yet :)

This being said I'd be up for two trips next year let's roll !!!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The best part for us northerners is that we get to see some sun and get away from the NW rain in the spring. After a long winter of rain and dampness it is great to have a wakeup to sunny mornings and starlit nights. I did however vote for the autumn rondevous. Figure to hit it on the way to quartzite or slabcity. I am done with the winters of western WA., and on the way back north stopping by for a spring run with TW folks if there is a get together in the spring.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
My ins. lady tells me she is just finishing up with spring break and is gearing up for Easter. So add those avoidances to the existing Jeep week and anything after in the spring would be good for me. But my Mama and Papa Bear side is saying nothing too hot and nothing too cold. I'd like to avoid camping in sub freezing temps next time.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I might sign on for this if it's in the fall. As in before school starts back up at the end of September. Fingers crossed. I've been itching for a reason to upgrade the little cow. Off road tires, snorkel, watertight battery etc. Make it a real hybrid hollow mod, I think I could have it adventure ready by fall!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
As I posted in the 3rd Annual Russ Memorial Ride thread, I currently have the last week of August and the first two weeks of September (2016) off...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts