TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Canceling Moab 2018 Dates March 18 to March 25th CANCELING This Trip For Me

Hi Looks like I will be canceling this trip my part anyone that wants to go can still do so I am now thinking about A meetup in Idaho in and round Boise ? I just think TWer,s are looking for A new adventure location ?

So I did not get much response for this trip So just updating Thanks MAXX See you soon

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Good proposal Max.
Any idea how does these dates correlate to 2018’s Easter, Spring Break, and any Jeeper’s or other scheduled mass events that tend to overload Moab’s infrastructure?
I wouldn’t mind sharing trails with the extreme off-road unicyclists or getting buzzed by swarms of motorized paragliders but the Jeeps and side-by-sides can make some places like Main Street fairly crowded.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Easter Sunday is April 1st....

·
Registered
338 Posts
That is the Portal trail off of Poison Spider...I have ridden that, ok walked some of it on my mountain bike....It is REAL scary in places!. It is an excellent hike from the river up and then back down tho....

·
Registered
928 Posts
I've put this off for 2 years now. Time to throw money in a vacation account, find a shipping company that can send the bike out there and the closest airport where I can meet it and just ride the rest of the way into Moab! I will have the vacation time by then. Just need to budget the funds.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Most likely will not work for me as that is when Linda is off and she will most likely want to do something other than Moab.
I got my Leave of Absence granted for next year so any other time could work for me.
What about after Jeep week?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes March 25th starts Jeep week according to what I found on the webb about Jeep week And I thought Moab was geared up just before jeep week weather was not bad So lets have some input Thanks Maxx

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
Darn, once again the planned dates miss evenings of bright moonlight. The full moon shall be March 31st, 2018 but we will be there during the waning new moon.
Granted the days are still short and a bit cold to enjoy the moonlight over the canyons or a nighttime slick rock ride but we shall once again miss a unique opportunity. What’s a Lunatic like me to do?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I have made my reservations at Archview camp ground for( March 18th to the 25th 2018 ) If you are thinking of staying at Archview camp you may want to get your spot reserved now

MAXXOREGON Lets ride TW200 Tribe MOAB March 2018

·
Registered
928 Posts
Darn, once again the planned dates miss evenings of bright moonlight. The full moon shall be March 31st, 2018 but we will be there during the waning new moon.
Granted the days are still short and a bit cold to enjoy the moonlight over the canyons or a nighttime slick rock ride but we shall once again miss a unique opportunity. What’s a Lunatic like me to do?
Put one of these on the back of Betty and create your own moonlight...:D

...or you could just be more traditional and look like an oncoming comet streaking across slick rock.;)

Denali LED Motorcycle Auxiliary Lighting from Twisted Throttle

·
Registered
928 Posts
OK I have made my reservations at Archview camp ground for( March 18th to the 25th 2018 ) If you are thinking of staying at Archview camp you may want to get your spot reserved now

MAXXOREGON Lets ride TW200 Tribe MOAB March 2018
Damn looks like they are all sold out already. What other camp ground offers cabins in the Moab area?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I thought MOAB was on for the Fall of 2018? I remember seeing the date change in another thread. Something to do with the timing of crowds and the weather being nicer in the Fall?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know about other dates but to me two years ago Moab meetup was earlier in the month and A lot colder and winder morning and night so I like the Dates March 18 to 25th 2018 TW live the life see you soon MAXX

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I thought MOAB was on for the Fall of 2018? I remember seeing the date change in another thread. Something to do with the timing of crowds and the weather being nicer in the Fall?
There has been talk of it, but I do not know if anyone has taken on trying to organize it.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
I'd have to second a fall date instead. The weather is way more stable, March can be winter like. Plus bigger crowds with Colorado mountain people "heading to the desert" to get away from winter.

With people coming from such great distances and expense spring is pretty risky. It's only 5 hours away for me so no big deal to stay home if the forecast is bad, but I'd feel bad for people coming across the country with the planning and expense involved.

Been going there for almost 30 years and switched to fall long ago, always perfect weather. Been snowed on in April.
What part of fall? Member grewen mentioned it was pretty dead people wise (well, not actually dead dead people...I don't think), in late September. Or is October or November better.

We have been really lucky the past 3 years in March with not much rain and no snow. It did limit us from going up to the LaSal mountains though which is a place I'd like to ride on one of the Moab trips. The weather was actually worse on our May Moab 5-9 this year. Rained much more though you only have to wait a few hours before it dries out enough to start riding in most places without encountering gumbo mud.

If Mrs. Admiral and I go to Moab at all in 2018 it will be in the Fall. We've heard of some other places in Utah we might like to try instead of Moab. However, we've had great comradery with all the TW and non-TW riders/family who've come this past 3 years so there is that.

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
There can be other get togethers at different times, at other locations, seeing different things together.

These things start from humble beginnings. If you recall the Moab gathering as it is today came about after dear departed member Ron-in-Boise spoke of his upcoming return trip to Moab with such enthusiasm others of us thought “Hey, that Ron’s got a good idea! He knows some good trails. Let’s go join him” and so it began.

So some sort of fall trip is not impossible, someone just has to create enough enthusiasm so that others want to join. It need not be a clone to Moab. Perhaps a certain element might enjoy a caravan type tour. Resort or RV camp a day or two someplace while TW touring by day, places like Canyonlands Needle and Maze Districts, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde, Keet Seel, Torroweep, Bryce Canyon, Hell’s Backbone then move on. Those are all good off-peak fall destinations for mild TW touring and socializing.

Seldom seen Keet seel : 7022591_smallMed_1473116914.jpg 7868243390_c2aca589ea_b.jpg
az1998.jpg
They don’t have overnight accomodations anymore though.:)

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
It is in the Navajo National Monument, Arizona and you must hike in. Go west of Kenyata on 160 past Tsegi then turn north on 564. There was fee free simple camping at the trailhead if you want to spend the night there after a day at Monument Valley or at Antelope Canyon outside Page, then hike in for the cool morning light.

Often seen Antelope Canyon:

Upper canyon, sand floors,civilized, family rated, guided tours your cell phone will bring back photos as good as this in late morning: antelope_canyon_light_shaft_0320.jpg images.jpeg

Lower Antelpe Canyon, just across the hi way,primative, give the navajo guard some cash and you’re own your own, metal ladders, tight squeezes, mock-slot canyoning without need for rappelling but not for small children. TIGHT in places. antelope.jpg 96dc07cfed88c48b074957230d84c8f7.jpg
Note: If you are claustrophobic at all do not visit the Lower Canyon. Also check weather upstream for rainfall as these features are created by flash floods...Grey sky? Stay away!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts