TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying this again. I would like to make the Moab 2020 ride, but I live across the country in the southeast. So, if there is anyone willing and wanting to either caravan, carpool, etc. from around here to there for some epic riding, please let me know. Best case would be a split where we could alternate driving and split costs, but would be open to any ideas really. Anyhow, open to discussion and suggestions. Feel free to sticky this if it gets any traction. Thank you and cheers.

·
Registered
19,778 Posts
This should get a bump. Moab certainly is a worthy destination and I imagine the trip would make lasting memories for anyone who has never been there, as well as making lasting new friendships.
While I've bitched about crowds near the traditional group camp one can see that once we take off on the bikes there is rarely any congestion.
Certainly the old site allows riding directly into a national park without any waiting in lines. Few parks offer the same opportunities for back country motorcycle touring .
So who is going to let this opportunity pass them by, or instead decide to join Sthrnromr for a memorable desert southwest adventure?

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
I can help you out with one of my spare TW's if hauling your TW is a show stopper. Unfortunately, I live a couple of miles out of your way to help out with carpooling. Last year extra TW's came in handy for some riders. If flying out is a viable alternative let us know. We've picked up riders at the airport before.

·
Registered
19,778 Posts
Flying out and renting a van to "camp" out of, or staying at one of many hotels, motels, cabins, etc might be an option to consider.
From simple cargo to RV grade a lot is available in Salt Lake City with overlander rentals in between like :

·
Registered
19,778 Posts
Not cheap, but you could explore a bit elsewhere in comfort.
How about their two seat Wayfarer? $99/night.
wayfareer.jpg

Or AWD Chevy Express. $120/night
base.jpg

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In all honesty, I would love to tow my 5th wheel and bring 2 bikes, but time/cost prohibitive for me to do solo right now. Fly in...perhaps...hmmmm

·
Registered
19,778 Posts
I took a second TW as a loaner last year, and wasn't the only one with a Buddy Bike available.
I would offer mine but my trailer will be likely loaned out for a buddy's KLX. We may get distracted with an informal itinerary and not make Moab with a possible detour to camp out & catch the sunrise at Torroweap.
toroweap-point_u-l-pjhnfp0.jpg

As a rock climber I think he would appreciate the big face dropping many thousands of feet to the Colorado River's Lava Falls in the Grand Canyon. While still in the National Park it is a ridiculous number of dirt miles to get back in there and with certainly no place to buy a postcard or a T-Shirt.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I still have the sugar plum visions of someday driving out to Moab with the toy hauler in tow, but I cannot make that haul of 32 hours (one way) in less than 5 days, unless I can take a giant block off from work (like a month or 6 weeks) to make the it an epic trip to many other locations as well. And I feel time creeping up on me stealthily too, I may not be able to do the type of trail riding I do right now in another 5 or more years. If I was married, I could retire, and the wife could work...hmmmmm.

It's a long haul from Connecticut for sure. And I still want to explore Colorado. And Nevada, And Utah, And----

·
Registered
252 Posts
Everyone, the best way to find a needle in a haystack is to get naked and jump in the hay and let the needle find you! I've read about Moab since the mid 90's and would love to go there for a visit. Pull the trigger and try to go for a week break just to see and experience it first hand, then you'll have a better idea of what to expect and what is needed.

2 Years ago I did my first trip to Botswana, and last year took my family there, now we all know what it's about, our next trip is planned for June-July-August 2021. I'm taking my TW across the border to ride Botswana!

I would think you can even ship the TW's to Moab by rail and enjoy the clickety clack of an Amtrack/Union Pacific rail experince getting there. Make it an adventure!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts