TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Moab 2020 ish

28K views 162 replies 36 participants last post by  Fred 
#1 · (Edited)
Spring Moab is Postponed.

Edit: 18 March 2020

Due to Covid 19 and related closures and restrictions throughout (everywhere), the Spring Moab TW200 gathering is postponed to a later date. Hopefully, late September or October.

This thread is mainly for the Moab time period indicated. If you wish to ride in another area, feel free to start a thread for that area. I'd like to keep this as Moab focused as possible. Thank you.

Moab Part 1, 20-26 April 2020, White Wash Sand Dunes
Moab Part 2, 27 April - 9 May 2020, Behind the Rocks
(Moving to the south on 27 April to the Behind the Rocks area (see Part II).

Part I, Moab 2020 White Wash Sand Dunes. The White Wash Sand Dunes area is about 25 miles SE from Green River (48 miles NW of Moab). To get there, take I-70 to exit 175. (on some maps listed as Exit 173) From the exit, go south on Ruby Ranch Road. (eventually turns to dirt). Continue about 12 miles (be sure to stay to the right about 4.5 miles from the exit, and continue straight at 7.8 miles from Interstate 70). Eventually, you’ll hit a ridge that looks down into the basin where the dunes are located. The road to White Wash Sand Dunes (WWSD) has well-marked BLM signs directing you to WWSD Staging Area (SA).

Dates: 20-26 April. I plan on arriving on the morning of the 20th, set up camp and start riding in the afternoon.

Camping. This is a free dry camp (bring your own extra gas, portable toilet, water, food, moonshine, etc...). As stated above Green River is the nearest town. You can take the old Hwy 6/50 into Green River instead of the freeway if you want to ride your bike into town. Remember, it’s about a 40-50 mile round trip from camp.

My options for camps:

Camp 1 option: Located about 9.2 miles from Exit 175 on Ruby Ranch Road at an intersection with the Enduro Loop Trail. There should be plenty of room if we have a turn out similar to past years. The Lat/Long if you’re interested in using DDM: 38°49.568’N, 110°1.274’W. Note: If it has recently rained, this area would not be good as the ground would be wet and muddy. Similar to Willow Springs last year. Would dry out quicker in warm weather.

Camp 2 option: WWSD Staging Area. The staging area is large enough to accommodate a group as we’ve had in the past. Portable Toilet Required. WWSD SA is easy to find as there are BLM signs directing you. WWSD SA is about 12.2 miles on Ruby Ranch Road. You’ll have to turn left of Ruby Ranch Road to reach the actual staging area which is about ¼ mile.

Camp 3 option plus: There are several smaller camping/staging areas past the turn off for the main WWSD SA. Instead of turning to the WWSD SA, continue straight on Ruby Ranch Road. You’ll go down a grade and you should start seeing some pullout camping/staging areas on your left. There are about 3-4 of these areas. They are more for a smaller group but we could spread out among them if options 1 and 2 are a no-go.

View attachment 203870

Trails. There are some motorcycle single track trails (ST), ATV/UTV trails (AU), and many Jeep trails (J) as well. There are so many online/map/GPX track sources for all of these area’s I can’t possibly post them all here so feel free to research them for yourselves. Lots of Youtube videos of the area as well.

Here are some of the trails I’d like to ride this year. Some are AU friendly.

Enduro Loop
Brian Trail
Mary’s Trail
Guy’s Trail
Cow Freckles
Red Slot
Red Wash
No Name Mesa Trail
Dead Cow Loop (The Tubes ???)
White Wash Sand Dunes
Salt Wash
Tenmile Wash

Here are some other fun/interesting routes further away from camp and AU & J friendly.
Crystal Geyser
Rainbow Terrace/Dellenbaugh Tunnel/Secret Spire routes
Spring Canyon Point
Tenmile Point
Spring Canyon Bottom/Hey Joe Canyon
Further but doable long day rides AU & J friendly:
Bartlett Wash
Mashed Potatoes
Hidden Canyon Rim
Hidden Canyon
Tusher Tunnel
7 Mile Rim/M & M trail

If you really want to push your butt riding limit, you can also visit Island in the Sky (Canyonlands).

Moab Part 2, 27 April - 9 May 2020, Behind the Rocks (Moving to the south on 27 April to the Behind the Rocks area.

Part II, Moab 2020 Behind the Rocks. To get there. From the McDonalds in Moab, travel south on Hwy 191 for approximately 12.3 miles. The turnoff from 191 is at the top of the hill. (See Camp Option 2 for alternate directions).

Dates: 27 Apr - 9 May. 27 April moving in the a.m. from WWSD to the Behind The Rocks Area.

Camping. This is a free dry camp (bring your own extra gas, portable toilet, water, food, moonshine, etc...). This is a large dispersed camp area designated by signposts with camp numbers.

My options for camps:

Camp 1 Option: From the McDonalds in Moab, travel south on Hwy 191 for approximately 12.3 miles. Turn right off the Hwy and stay on the dirt/sand road for approximately 2.3 miles. The road is a little rough so if you’re driving a big rig/trailer, take it easy, take it slow. In approximately 2.3 miles you should see a small post sign which indicates campsites 19-38 or a number very close to this. Turn left, in a couple of hundred feet continue and go through the fence gate. In the open area, you should start to see the camp signposts which are marked with the sight number. There are additional campsites further in the trees.

Camp 2 Option: From the McDonalds in Moab, travel south on Hwy 191 for approximately 11.2 miles. Turn left off the Hwy and stay on the main dirt road for approximately ¾ mile. There are a couple of areas so if this is our spot you should look for the TW’s. This camping area is smaller than behind the rocks.

Trails:

After setting up camp on the 27th. I plan on riding these trails first if possible
Steelbender
Next days:
Behind the Rocks
Tiptoe Behind the Rocks
Kane Creek Canyon (if the water level isn’t too high)

Taking part of the 29th off to go pick up Mrs. Admiral from the Grand Junction Airport.

On the 30th with some prior planning Lockhart Basin trail.

After that, there are additional trails anyone can choose.

Flat Iron Mesa
Strike Ravine ??? it was closed on our recon in mid-February
Cameo Cliffs (aka Hook & Ladder)
Trails available in the Moab area (about 12 miles away...Moab not the trails)
Chicken Corners/Hurrah Pass
Jackson Hole
Sand Flats Recreation area (Fins & Things, Hell’s Revenge, Slickrock singletrack trail, Porcupine Rim)
Potash Rd./Shafer Switchbacks
Island in the Sky (Canyonlands)
White Rim Trail
Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim
Pucker Pass
Gemini Bridges
Bull Canyon
Metal Masher

There are numerous other trails/roads within reasonable riding miles of camp as well.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yah! I should be able to make this.
Back from Baja at the end of March.
Daughter gets married on April 10.
Should be able to head south for another adventure in Utah.

#3 · (Edited)
I also said I wasn't doing Moab 2020, so the plan sounds good:).
"As is in the past, this ... be...booze and... roughing it, ... which means no tent, no ground, no motel" -no problem. :p

Love dropping down to the rivers so Hey Joe Canyon is on my list plus a few challenging others.
However Moab's crowds can affect my overall enjoyment after a bit. So I may wander off to sample some other destinations a little less over-run. Lots of other stuff to the west like The Maze District, Burr Trail, Swingarm City, Cathedral Valley. East of the Colorado River the Needles District and a Monument Valley ride would be memorable.
So I will see if I can resist the temptation or once again fall for a week of Moab's enticing slickrock.
Maybe I could crash Admiral's pre-party and surf The Tubes with him.

Looks like parts of Dead Cow could result in Dead Fred though.

#4 ·
I said I wasn't doing Moab 2020 also, so the plan sounds good:).
As is in the past, this is a self sustaining (bring your own booze and I guess food too) and a camping/motel plans. I'll be roughing it in the TWcrafthauler, which means no tent, no ground, no motel" -no problem.

Love dropping down to the rivers so Hey Joe Canyon is on my list plus a few challenging others.
However Moab's crowds can affect my overall enjoyment after a bit. So I may wander off to sample some other destinations a little less over-run. Lots of other stuff to the west like The Maze District, Burr Trail, Swingarm City, Cathedral Valley. East of the Colorado River the Needles District and a Monument Valley ride would be memorable.
So I will see if I can resist the temptation or once again fall for a week of Moab's enticing slickrock.
We'll be riding places we TW'rers have never seen before.You other destinations are also on our list but after Mrs. Admiral has landed.

#5 · (Edited)
I’ll join you in crashing Admiral’s pre-party. Would love to ride some new places.

Reactions: admiral and Purple
#10 ·
Needles District has some great riding and a lot less people! Here's our camp at the Needles Outpost Campground last May. I'll be out there again in early March and maybe Moab if it's not full of tourist.

View attachment 199546
Looks like a fun place. Mrs. Admiral and I might try it out after Moab. Thanks for sharing.

#9 ·
Awesome. I'm a Florida/Georgia flat-lander. I've never seen such stuff. Amazing.

Reactions: admiral
#12 · (Edited)
The Maze District of Canyonlands National Park is fairly remote. About 59 air miles from The Doll House to gas at Cainville, more like a hundred by road & trail. Access can also be from he south where Muddy dumps into Colorado. Rock Formation Badlands Outcrop Mountainous landforms

Reactions: SanDue and Ken
#41 ·
The Maze District of Canyonlands National Park is fairly remote. About 59 air miles from The Doll House to gas at Cainville, more like a hundred by road & trail. Access can also be from he south where Muddy dumps into Colorado. View attachment 199550
i wouldn't depend on fuel to the south. we were there 2 summers ago. we arrived about noon and the clerk at the store at Hite Marina said we were his only cucstomer that day, so gas maybe skunkie, if they even sell it anymore

#18 ·
Spoke with Plumbstraight on the 28th I believe. A deer hunt with the grandson then back to his new place in geometric center of the USA where I hear they need him to ply Santa Claus.

#20 ·
A buddy and I rode up Waterfall trail today then went over and rode down Blue and Orange trails all in the San Rafael Swell. I highly recommend the Waterfall trail it was great.
Tomorrow's plan is either up Orange and Green trails then down Blue and out Red or over to White Sands for Dead Cow and the Tubes
Admiral you could also research the Chimney Rock area North of I70 and West of Hwy 6 there is a lot of single track in there also. The Sage Riders mark the trails fairly well...

#21 ·
The wife and I just watched that video and all I can say is WOW! I didn't see any T-dubs on it, mainly larger bikes and, two-strokes at that. It (that trail) looks like it could be a ton of fun, for those young at heart. This 67 year old fat body of mine most likely wouldn't make it for the first hundred feet. We have done many, many trails like that, in the Moab area with our Jeeps. We did the Moab Jeep Safari for 14 years in a row. Yeah, lots of people but not nearly as many as there are today in the same event. The T-dubs suspension is a bit limited for things like that but, I suppose one could make it work. Anyway, those trails sure provide for some great fun and, as usual for that area of the U.S., lots of great scenery.
Scott

Reactions: ejfranz
#24 ·
Sthrnromr, if you do make it to Moab you need to bring your “Orange Dragon” along with “The Goat”.

#27 ·
It is tame and rather popular but a Monument Valley ride could be uniquely memorable.
Washington Larry rode there and had a good time.

#28 · (Edited)
Shall try to convoy out with Adam-in-Nevada and hit some other sites, maybe Cow Trail with Admiral & Ejfranz then later after a bit of Moab head west of the Green on long way home try to visit Goblin Valley, Swingarm City ORV , Cathedral Valley or Burr Trail .

Certainly Cathedral Valley has a fraction of the traffic. I saw only two other vehicles on my TW ride there, something like 80 plus smooth miles from my Swingarm City camp.

Swingarm City is a big fee riding area nearby among similar landforms in the Benton Shale.
Pc game Mode of transport Screenshot Mountain pass Geological phenomenon

While grey & colorless it certainly isn't featureless with countless hiilclimbs and extensive ridgelines. Most were too much for me even with ATV tire but fun none the less as for a base camp.
Vehicle Sand Road Geological phenomenon Screenshot

#30 ·
Shall try to convoy out with Adam-in-Nevada and hit some other sites, maybe Cow Trail with Admiral & Ejfranz then later after a bit of Moab head west of the Green on long way home try to visit Goblin Valley, Swingarm City ORV , Cathedral Valley or Burr Trail .

Certainly Cathedral Valley has a fraction of the traffic. I saw only two other vehicles on my TW ride there, something like 80 plus smooth miles from my Swingarm City camp.
Moab is just the start of our adventure this year. Places you listed are also on the docket once Mrs. Admiral arrives.

But first, I want to concentrate on the places at Moab I haven't ridden.

#32 ·
I have heard that a weeping water pump bearing can sometimes pass a pressure test when engine is not running. Try using talc, flour, chalk, etc on a clean water pump before a test drive to act as a tell-tale to eliminate water pump as possible cause of missing coolant.

I would do this check as well as other work myself since no mechanic will care about your truck as much as you do.

Reactions: ejfranz
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.