TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
The wife and I just watched that video and all I can say is WOW! I didn't see any T-dubs on it, mainly larger bikes and, two-strokes at that. It (that trail) looks like it could be a ton of fun, for those young at heart. This 67 year old fat body of mine most likely wouldn't make it for the first hundred feet. We have done many, many trails like that, in the Moab area with our Jeeps. We did the Moab Jeep Safari for 14 years in a row. Yeah, lots of people but not nearly as many as there are today in the same event. The T-dubs suspension is a bit limited for things like that but, I suppose one could make it work. Anyway, those trails sure provide for some great fun and, as usual for that area of the U.S., lots of great scenery.
Scott

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Sthrnromr, if you do make it to Moab you need to bring your “Orange Dragon” along with “The Goat”.

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
Camp Fire Stories

If you come you might have to put up with the occasional tall tale.

"So there I was at 20,000 ft with nothing between me and earth but a thin blond..." fred in moab.JPG
Caught their attention, didn't it?;)

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
It is tame and rather popular but a Monument Valley ride could be uniquely memorable.
Washington Larry rode there and had a good time.

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
Shall try to convoy out with Adam-in-Nevada and hit some other sites, maybe Cow Trail with Admiral & Ejfranz then later after a bit of Moab head west of the Green on long way home try to visit Goblin Valley, Swingarm City ORV , Cathedral Valley or Burr Trail .

Certainly Cathedral Valley has a fraction of the traffic. I saw only two other vehicles on my TW ride there, something like 80 plus smooth miles from my Swingarm City camp.

Swingarm City is a big fee riding area nearby among similar landforms in the Benton Shale.
Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 10.23.03 PM.png

While grey & colorless it certainly isn't featureless with countless hiilclimbs and extensive ridgelines. Most were too much for me even with ATV tire but fun none the less as for a base camp.
Swing.png

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Shall try to convoy out with Adam-in-Nevada and hit some other sites, maybe Cow Trail with Admiral & Ejfranz then later after a bit of Moab head west of the Green on long way home try to visit Goblin Valley, Swingarm City ORV , Cathedral Valley or Burr Trail .

Certainly Cathedral Valley has a fraction of the traffic. I saw only two other vehicles on my TW ride there, something like 80 plus smooth miles from my Swingarm City camp.
Moab is just the start of our adventure this year. Places you listed are also on the docket once Mrs. Admiral arrives.

But first, I want to concentrate on the places at Moab I haven't ridden.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
EJ, how many miles have you got on your truck now?
251250 km on the 2006 LBZ.
I do have a mysterious coolant leak. I took it to a shop that has done some work on the truck in the past and they could not find it. Pressure tested the cooling system and nothing.
Drove to Kamloops and lost maybe 750 ml. Topped up in Kamloops and did not loose any on the way home. Think I will start by replacing all the coolant system hoses.

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
I have heard that a weeping water pump bearing can sometimes pass a pressure test when engine is not running. Try using talc, flour, chalk, etc on a clean water pump before a test drive to act as a tell-tale to eliminate water pump as possible cause of missing coolant.

I would do this check as well as other work myself since no mechanic will care about your truck as much as you do.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Without having to go through all the BS....and actually read the thread...what are the dates you guys are looking at again?

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
Nothing formally identified yet but some forum members will likely be around April 20th through first week in May. I may stay but a few days if a willow creek group encampment is proposed again. The riding and TW folks are great but the camp site's location disappoints compared to other far prettier places.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Nothing formally identified yet but some forum members will likely be around April 20th through first week in May. I may stay but a few days if a willow creek group encampment is proposed again. The riding and TW folks are great but the camp site's location disappoints compared to other far prettier places.
I'm not planning on staying at Willow Springs this year but anyone can do anything they want. My proposed TW group ride areas are listed below.

Yes, the 20th of April is when I proposed the start of this year's Moab Adventure. This info is contained in Post #1. I know, reading the first post is hard haha.

The first proposed camp this year will be in the northwestern section in and around the 10 Mile Canyon area to ride an area most of us have not ridden. Bodi says this is also an ATV friendly area so anyone can come...and we want that.

Plan this year is to move camps for further adventure riding.

The second area I'm proposing is an area undetermined south of the town of Moab in the Behind the Rocks trailhead area. It could be somewhere else but this is my thought at the moment being Christmas time and all. It doesn't have to be here but there are areas in the south we TW'ers have not ridden. Cameo Cliffs (aka Hook and Ladder), easier parts of Behind the Rocks, harder areas nearby and I'm gonna do south to north (maybe overnighter) Lockhart trail ride.

There are so many more we'll just have to decide. I figg'er we can decide a southern camp while riding in the northern camp. I'll put out camp information as we narrow this down in the months to come. No need to nail this down before Christmas.

Also, because I'm unable at the present time to EDIT AT WILL this thread, I've started a Moab 2020 Thread in my
where I'll be making the updates to Moab 2020.

After Moab. Mrs. Admiral and I hope to continue to ride some new areas of Utah and will most likely ride some areas we've (her and I, maybe you) have never ridden before. Some of these areas are mentioned by Fred and others. Since this part would be an extension of the Normal Moab Adventure, we can discuss those later, in another thread, at Moab around the fire etc. I would like to keep this thread at Moab pure as possible so as not to confuse anyone what is going on since we tend to have thread pirates hijacking the threads, and I'm as guilty as anyone on that. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I do have a mysterious coolant leak. I took it to a shop that has done some work on the truck in the past and they could not find it. Pressure tested the cooling system and nothing.
Drove to Kamloops and lost maybe 750 ml. Topped up in Kamloops and did not loose any on the way home. Think I will start by replacing all the coolant system hoses.
Bio
251250 kmpressure when motor was warm, motor heat may have expanded block or head enough to seal.I do have a mysteriousI took it to a shop that has done some work on the truck in the past and they could not find it. Pressure tested the cooling system and nothing.
Check oil for off color. Cold motor might allow for some weeping. If shop checked pressure with warm motor, heat from block/head might have sealed gasket.

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
I am a fan of Admiral's proposal of changing camp locations a time or two. We all are pretty much on our own to make plans unless someone wants to do the organization for a bigger group.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I have my Vietnam Reunion, which I administer from April 23rd-26th, but I may be able to make it out closer to the 30th or May 1st....if you guys are still alive by then... :) As you say, we will see how things string and work out... ?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Plans always change but I'm hoping to join the Pre ride and then come back and join the Post ride. Just can't take the time off for the entire 2+ weeks and I've seen most of Moab except Lockhart Basin

21 - 40 of 133 Posts